Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Keith at Crossroads Guitar Festival, NYC April 13 (photos)
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 14, 2013 22:34

1/2 Dirty Mac Reunion!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: claudine ()
Date: April 14, 2013 22:39

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: April 14, 2013 23:44

so, I was lucky enough to have attended both shows of the festival. Before Keith came on unannounced last night, the stage lights were off as all the equipment was readied, but there was a definite recognition from those in front who could see through the darkness. I was wondering who they could be so excited about? Then the stage lights went on and it was KEITH! All smiles and he probably got the biggest hand of the night - standing ovation.

The music was not bad, either, and I thought Keith really got into it towards the end. Was a special moment for sure, but compared to the other music that was played both nights, it was not the best, by a long shot. The highlight for me and many others there on Friday was Keith Urban and John Mayer's cover of the Beatles Don't Let me Down. I'm not particularly fond of either one of them, but this version - with an amazing solo duel at the end - brought the house down.

No matter if he looks like a professor, Clapton's festival opening first set (acoustic) and especially closing last set were stellar. He was really jamming last night on every tune, even going back to his amp and turning up during Sunshine of Your Love. This is my first Crossroads fest, but definitely my last!

Date: April 14, 2013 23:56

roby
StrawberriesBlueberries
The effortlessness, fluentness and fun are coming back more and more. Great to see! I don't like the song "Key to the Highway" much, though.

And to listen ? smiling smiley ?

Of course and most of all! But he is also expressing all this with his body talk. winking smiley

Date: April 15, 2013 09:57

I think the rendition of Sweet Little Rock'n'roller really shows why EC would never be a good fit musically for the Stones. Even when he tries to play rock'n'roll, it's one-string based blues solos. Beautiful in itself, but not for the Stones, imo.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: April 15, 2013 10:09

StrawberriesBlueberries
roby
StrawberriesBlueberries
The effortlessness, fluentness and fun are coming back more and more. Great to see! I don't like the song "Key to the Highway" much, though.

And to listen ? smiling smiley ?

Of course and most of all! But he is also expressing all this with his body talk. winking smiley

Honestly, you find his solo impressive ?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 15, 2013 11:23

Ace!!!

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 15, 2013 11:33

DandelionPowderman
I think the rendition of Sweet Little Rock'n'roller really shows why EC would never be a good fit musically for the Stones. Even when he tries to play rock'n'roll, it's one-string based blues solos. Beautiful in itself, but not for the Stones, imo.

Why should he need to "fit musically" to the Stones? What's that criterion is all about? As easily one can say that The Stones don't fit musically to him. Let them go separate routes, as they go, and both doing mighty fine.

Funny also those image-obsessed observations here. Good reminder that The Stones is always considered as a pop band where the "looks" matter so much. They should kick that drummer of theirs out since he don't look like a rock and roller...

- Doxa

Date: April 15, 2013 11:42

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Why should he need to "fit musically" to the Stones? What's that criterion is all about? As easily one can say that The Stones don't fit musically to him. Let them go separate routes, as they go, and both doing mighty fine.

Funny also those image-obsessed observations here. Good reminder that The Stones is always considered as a pop band where the "looks" matter so much. They should kick that drummer of theirs out since he don't look like a rock and roller...

- Doxa

Because he indeed was one of the candidates to take over after Taylor.

You missed an important thing here: Charlie Watts looks (and is) the ultimate cool of rock drummers! Several rock bands have had a drummer copying his style - among them Gormann in the Black Crowes. What rock'n'roll is might not be as easy as tattoos, scarves and bandanas grinning smiley

Date: April 15, 2013 12:16

DandelionPowderman

So did Taylor "musically fit" to the Stones? Taylor is not either very well known for his Chuck Berry solos and is not very "rock and roll" altogether.

- Doxa

Date: April 15, 2013 12:47

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

So did Taylor "musically fit" to the Stones? Taylor is not either very well known for his Chuck Berry solos and is not very "rock and roll" altogether.

- Doxa

Not in the same way Brian and Ronnie did (I'm speaking about the Stones's sound here), imo. However, he added some beauty that EC doesn't have.

But Taylor did adjust his sound, both rhythm-wise and solo-wise along the way. By 1972, his full-chord strumming with clean sound was gone, for instance. In came the counter-licks with more fuzzy sound.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. This is great in itself, but the riff is barely audible, because of all the counter-licks. It's cool, but what does it do to the song?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-15 12:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 15, 2013 13:16

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Not in the same way Brian and Ronnie did (I'm speaking about the Stones's sound here), imo. However, he added some beauty that EC doesn't have.

But Taylor did adjust his sound, both rhythm-wise and solo-wise along the way. By 1972, his full-chord strumming with clean sound was gone, for instance. In came the counter-licks with more fuzzy sound.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. This is great in itself, but the riff is barely audible, because of all the counter-licks. It's cool, but what does it do to the song?

So for you "real" Stones was born in 1975 or The Rolling Stones started sounding like a Rolling Stones when the band got Keith's little brother to the band? Then we got two Keefs: the real one, and poor boy's copy. Each to their own, but they managed to do rather nice career before that despite having some incompetent and not fitting members, though...

Good for you that they don't give more room for that Taylor guy to spoil their sound in their recent and upcoming shows... Let only "Midnight Rambler" to be ruined...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 15, 2013 13:19

It is interest me also, Dandie, in which way you see Brian "musically fitting" to The Stones, but Taylor not? There is not much "Ron Wood" in Brian either.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 15, 2013 13:22

Keith sounding pretty good...I bet by the time Hyde Park comes he'll be playing even better. On a personal level, I'm more excited to see/hear Woody play than Taylor.

Date: April 15, 2013 13:40

Doxa
It is interest me also, Dandie, in which way you see Brian "musically fitting" to The Stones, but Taylor not? There is not much "Ron Wood" in Brian either.

- Doxa

We have to put it the other way around: There is a lot of Brian in Ron Wood's playing style and approach to music - i.e. within the economic approach to lead playing and licks. "The golden tiaras" as Stu used to call them. Short licks, where a lot of effort is put in in few seconds, spicing up the song. That was indeed the Stones's recipee in the 60s.

IMO, after finding the right sound with the new line up, Ronnie carried that torch, although translated into the time and context. For me, it's quite obvious when you listen to stuff like the intro of Spider And The Fly", for instance.

I think the JJF-video shows how Brian fitted the sound better. We may enjoy Taylor's great playing in that clip, but does it sound like JJF with the Rolling Stones? I'm not so sure. It's gets a little too "hard-rock" for me and my perception of the Stones, but each to their own, of course.

Date: April 15, 2013 13:40

Anyways... I have always liked that "Jumping Jack Flash" version, partly due to "different" guitar arrangement. I think Taylor's playing creates nice dramatic and variance to the standard riff. Altogether I like the way they discovered new angles ín 1972/73 to all "war horses" numbers. I think much of it was Taylor "improvising" and kept on developing and changing his guitar playing. We never know where he might lead his act on in 1975.

What I really admire in Taylor is how "indepedent" he was as a musician in his time in the band. He really was a force of nature of its own, and no one's gun holder. In a way I see him being similar to Brian in that sense. Both contributed by strong personal touch and vision - and being like a counter power to Mick and Keith - and I think added something extra to the band, which lift them higher. I never seen that quality in Ronnie, even though he adds some other strenghts to the band, the best being that "ancienct art of waeving" which allows more freedoms to Keith.

- Doxa

Date: April 15, 2013 13:43

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

So for you "real" Stones was born in 1975 or The Rolling Stones started sounding like a Rolling Stones when the band got Keith's little brother to the band? Then we got two Keefs: the real one, and poor boy's copy. Each to their own, but they managed to do rather nice career before that despite having some incompetent and not fitting members, though...

Good for you that they don't give more room for that Taylor guy to spoil their sound in their recent and upcoming shows... Let only "Midnight Rambler" to be ruined...grinning smiley

- Doxa

THAT is indeed a childish post! You can do better than that, Doxa.

I explained perfectly well why I liked the original sound the most - as well as it was great with Taylor, but in a different way. And, no, they didn't become my "real" Stones in 1975.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: April 15, 2013 13:43

not sure but on the photos published by bye bye johnnyon the first page, Keith' fingers seem to be in better condition, don't you think so ?

Date: April 15, 2013 13:45

Doxa
Anyways... I have always liked that "Jumping Jack Flash" version, partly due to "different" guitar arrangement. I think Taylor's playing creates nice dramatic and variance to the standard riff. Altogether I like the way they discovered new angles ín 1972/73 to all "war horses" numbers. I think much of it was Taylor "improvising" and kept on developing and changing his guitar playing. We never know where he might lead his act on in 1975.

What I really admire in Taylor is how "indepedent" he was as a musician in his time in the band. He really was a force of nature of its own, and no one's gun holder. In a way I see him being similar to Brian in that sense. Both contributed by strong personal touch and vision - and being like a counter power to Mick and Keith - and I think added something extra to the band, which lift them higher. I never seen that quality in Ronnie, even though he adds some other strenghts to the band, the best being that "ancienct art of waeving" which allows more freedoms to Keith.

- Doxa

It sounds like you're only listening to Taylor's guitar - which is really a long guitar solo throughout the song. Yep, totally indepentent. In fact so indepentent that he is ignoring the song, imo.

Without the rest of the band, it would be awesome, though.

Date: April 15, 2013 14:06

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

We have to put it the other way around: There is a lot of Brian in Ron Wood's playing style and approach to music - i.e. within the economic approach to lead playing and licks. "The golden tiaras" as Stu used to call them. Short licks, where a lot of effort is put in in few seconds, spicing up the song. That was indeed the Stones's recipee in the 60s.

IMO, after finding the right sound with the new line up, Ronnie carried that torch, although translated into the time and context. For me, it's quite obvious when you listen to stuff like the intro of Spider And The Fly", for instance.

I think the JJF-video shows how Brian fitted the sound better. We may enjoy Taylor's great playing in that clip, but does it sound like JJF with the Rolling Stones? I'm not so sure. It's gets a little too "hard-rock" for me and my perception of the Stones, but each to their own, of course.

I like your analogy between Brian and Ronnie, and I can seee your point, a kind of "less is more" idealogy the Stones are always carried with themselves. in contrast, there is no little guns in Taylor's arsenal. Always comes up with a heavy magnum... He is not writing catchy poems but heavy novels, one could say...

But I can't make sense of the claim of 1972 "Jumpin' Jack Flash" not sounding like The Stones. That was the Stones sound at the time, and the band in the height of their powers. I can understand why some might not like that, but I can't think of them sounding any better ever. They just happened to be so damn good at the time that it is almost unbeleivable. Just having made their greatest album ever and hot and ready to keep the label "greatest rock and roll band in the world" in their hands. That tour (72/73) is the ultimate evidence of that phrase. For me it sounds absurd to not appreciate that and see it as one of their very peaks. I mean, we are here talking classic Stones here... Taylor was a crucial part - as any of them - of the winning team at the time.

- Doxa

Date: April 15, 2013 14:16

I appreciate the tour (I probably have most of the available 1972 boots), but at the same time it's perfectly doable to stop for a minute and reflect a bit on what they actually sound like. I love the energy, as well as the presentation of the fresh material on the 1972 tour - and more than anything the songs!.

However, time has told me that many of the songs are hard to recognise, because of overplaying, and the substance in many of those fantastic songs vanished a bit in the drug-hazed arrangements.

You'll eventually reach a point where it's not funny anymore listening to Satisfaction (71), JJF (72/73) or Brown Sugar (73) without even hearing the foundation of the song. All you get it pure energy, some barking from Jagger (nadir on the 75 tour, though) and Mick Taylor's endless soloing on top of it all.

The Stones would have been even better back then, with a more clever placing of "the golden tiaras" - that was my point. I agree with what Stu taught Chuck, although Chuck might have missed something along the way grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-15 14:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 15, 2013 14:23

DandelionPowderman

I explained perfectly well why I liked the original sound the most - as well as it was great with Taylor, but in a different way. And, no, they didn't become my "real" Stones in 1975.

C'mon, Dandie, time to have a little Taylor/Wood-debate which haven't had for ages! That's "war horse" of topics if any...grinning smiley

You seem to have a clear role in that debate. You are putting Taylor down, man!

- Doxa

Date: April 15, 2013 14:32

DandelionPowderman
However, time has told me that many of the songs are hard to recognise, because of overplaying, and the substance in many of those fantastic songs vanished a bit in the drug-hazed arrangements.

You'll eventually reach a point where it's not funny anymore listening to Satisfaction (71), JJF (72/73) or Brown Sugar (73) without even hearing the foundation of the song. All you get it pure energy, some barking from Jagger (nadir on the 75 tour, though) and Mick Taylor's endless soloing on top of it all.

The Stones would have been even better back then, with a more clever placing of "the golden tiaras" - that was my point. I agree with what Stu taught Chuck, although Chuck might have missed something along the way grinning smiley

No no no - don't change anything!!!! It is perfect as it is. Fvck the foundations and all - just go and kill 'em all! No hostages! It's high octane rock and roll, man! And no band earlier or after have been more living and breathing live band as they then were! The ultimate peak which happens once in a life time when all the conditions - the age, the players, the songs, the chemistry, the times - are perfect.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-15 14:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 15, 2013 14:36

Doxa

No no no - don't change anything!!!! It is perfect as it is. Fvck the foundations and all - just go and kill 'em all! No hostages! It's high octane rock and roll, man! And no band earlier or after have been more living and breathing live band as they then were! The ultimate peak which happens once in a life time when all the conditions - the age, the players, the songs, the chemistry, the times - are perfect.

- Doxa

smiling smiley

Date: April 15, 2013 14:36

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

C'mon, Dandie, time to have a little Taylor/Wood-debate which haven't had for ages! That's "war horse" of topics if any...grinning smiley

- Doxa

My favourite Stones track is Moonlight Mile (and it's not only based on Mick Jagger's performance!), nuff said... Putting Taylor down??

The Taylorites take everything too personal grinning smiley People are almost crying when I say that I don't like some of his overplaying and lack of the mean and dirty rhythm guitar playing I love in my favourite band's sound.

But let there be no doubt: Mick Taylor is a wonderful lead guitar player, and I love him dearly.

However, he's at his best when the lead guitar goes in and out, and doesn't go on forever. And I like to hear the main riff and Mick's singing once in a while...

Date: April 15, 2013 14:37

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Perfect for hard rock grinning smiley I like the roll a little more, like on that Exile album, for instance thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-15 14:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 15, 2013 14:52

DandelionPowderman
Perfect for hard rock grinning smiley I like the roll a little more, like on that Exile album, for instance thumbs up

They were as much a "hard rock" band in 1972/73 as they were a "punk" band in 1978. In both instances they sounded nothing but The Rolling Stones with some flavor of the month...

- Doxa

Date: April 15, 2013 15:01

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

My favourite Stones track is Moonlight Mile (and it's not only based on Mick Jagger's performance!), nuff said... Putting Taylor down??

The Taylorites take everything too personal grinning smiley People are almost crying when I say that I don't like some of his overplaying and lack of the mean and dirty rhythm guitar playing I love in my favourite band's sound.

But let there be no doubt: Mick Taylor is a wonderful lead guitar player, and I love him dearly.

However, he's at his best when the lead guitar goes in and out, and doesn't go on forever. And I like to hear the main riff and Mick's singing once in a while...

With respect, but I think claiming that Taylor "musically don't fit" to The Stones is a rather strong anti-Taylor comment. Maybe he shouldn't have fitted in 1966 or in 1978, but I think he fitted perfectly in 1969-74 there. The Stones in 1972 is no less "real" Stones as that of 1966 or 1978.

- Doxa

Date: April 15, 2013 15:07

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

With respect, but I think claiming that Taylor "musically don't fit" to The Stones is a rather strong anti-Taylor comment. Maybe he shouldn't have fitted in 1966 or in 1978, but I think he fitted perfectly in 1969-74 there. The Stones in 1972 is no less "real" Stones as that of 1966 or 1978.

- Doxa

No, it isn't. It's not Taylor's fault.

Date: April 15, 2013 15:37

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

- Doxa

No, it isn't. It's not Taylor's fault.

Well, it is! You are saying that Taylor is not a good Rolling Stone, that his contributions are not suitable for band's purposes. I think that despite Taylor himself might have thought that he don't fit musically to the Stones - as I suppose Brian came to that conclusion as well - that doesn't make his contributions any lesser valuable to the band and to its evolution. I mean, we all are blessed that he shared his talent with us!

I think Taylor fitted very even though coming from different musical spheres and standards, and made his mark on their music. That's something, for example, Darryl Jones have not succeeded in doing. You can hear in Jones's bass playing that he could do much better, but is reduced to play chicken shit easy without a challenge. He don't "face" their music as a real contributor to the sound, but ends up sounding nothing but a faceless hired gun (what he is). Whereas when Taylor jumped in last fall, he sounded like taking his own musical place in the whole, and shaping the whole sound of the band by his own contribution. He didn't sound like a guess like Clapton but as an integral player in the very constitution of the band. It was a mind-blowing experience for me to wittness that how suddenly The Stones started to sound "Taylor-Stones", and what difference that it made to the rest of the show.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1684
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home