Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: For fans of Wings Over America, finally getting deluxe re-release
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2013 16:13

whitem8
Yeah, tele71, sign o' the times those mullets. I like the glitter suit though, and the Wings/Doves necklaces. Interesting to note that John Bonham was a big Wings fan and traveled quite a bit to follow the tour. I think he went to most the shows. He loved English's drumming.

What a scorching soul belter this one is. One of my favs!

I think my problem with it was that Paul and Linda had matching haircuts.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 17, 2013 10:39

This was Macca in 2010 in Hyde Park.

I was there near the front. It was magnificent, the whole show.

Voice was fine.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 18, 2013 13:50

Yup sounds damn fine for a 70 year old. Great track too. Love Letting Go. Literally and figuratively.

Date: April 18, 2013 16:23

whitem8
Yup sounds damn fine for a 70 year old. Great track too. Love Letting Go. Literally and figuratively.

Listened to all 6 sides yesterday...this is a standout.

Date: April 18, 2013 16:29

Really! Argh! Jealous. So how is the mix?

Date: April 18, 2013 16:34

whitem8
Really! Argh! Jealous. So how is the mix?

Beautiful but to be clear, this is not the deluxe rerelease. This is a vinyl copy I just happened to buy at a record fair on Sunday!

Date: April 18, 2013 16:35

Ah yeah! I remember reading your post. Very nice. Great package too with the picture inside the cover. Did the album come with the poster?

Date: April 18, 2013 16:39

whitem8
Ah yeah! I remember reading your post. Very nice. Great package too with the picture inside the cover. Did the album come with the poster?

Hah!

Which copy?

I found and bought 2 copies on Sunday. The VG+ copy (which sounded great save a slight warp causing a skip on side 4) didn't have a poster but the NM copy (which I paid $5 for - outstanding!) did!

It's funny, as I hadn't even seen a copy of this since the 70s and then right after I read this thread, I see and buy two copies!

Date: April 18, 2013 16:42

Five dollars mint? with the poster? outstanding! you gotta good deal. Love the labels on the disc as well.

Date: April 18, 2013 17:12

whitem8
Five dollars mint? with the poster? outstanding! you gotta good deal. Love the labels on the disc as well.

yeah I know! I couldn't believe it. I almost didn't buy the NM copy because I had bought the other copy for $3 ten minutes earlier.

Then I gave my head a shake and thought...don't be crazy, just don't have that frappucino you were planning on having after the fair and you're even!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 28, 2013 02:08

Looks like they messed up the speed, making Paul sound like a chimp : [youtu.be]

Hopefully it's just for the YT video!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-28 02:09 by gotdablouse.

Date: April 28, 2013 04:06

OH MY! Yes, lets hope that is fixed before it is released.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 28, 2013 04:47

gotdablouse
Looks like they messed up the speed, making Paul sound like a chimp : [youtu.be]

I think this is how it will sound due to the remastering. Just listened to the WOA CD for comparison, with the big bass and drum sound. In that YouTube clip for the new remastered version, the drums are mixed way down, though the rhythm guitar is much clearer--but if this is going to be the remastered product, I think I'll just pass and stay with my bottom-heavy old CD version, as it sounds the way I remember it sounding.

Date: April 28, 2013 04:54

I don't think so. I think it is either an error in the transfer to Youtube, or they made an error on the film remaster and will fix. Let's hope so!

Date: May 22, 2013 16:51

So did anyone catch it in a theater this week to see if the sound got fixed? I'll have to wait another couple of weeks...

Oh and there is going to be a Blu-Ray version after all!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 22, 2013 16:59

gotdablouse

Ain't that a great bass.

Posted by: ts ()
Date: May 31, 2013 05:05

Right after Ya Ya's a must have live act.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 31, 2013 11:06

I saw the show this was recorded at. Was my 2nd concert ever. I was a lad of 15. The Kingdome in Seattle had just opened. My parents made me go to a Billy Graham Crusade in the venue before they would give permission to let me go to the Wings concert. Obviously, it didn't sink in! Haha. Johnny Cash did perform on the crusade though. I wore out a vinyl copy of Wings Over America. I'm going to hold out a few weeks & get the blu-ray version. Toying with the concept of going to see Paul here (Seattle) in July.

Date: June 7, 2013 02:24

Just caught the movie in a theater tonight and it was great! Really loud too...actually after 5 o 6 songs it almost feels like a real show, with people clapping and singing, it's pretty eerie!

Sad to think that Linda and Jimmy have passed on and that Paul doesn't have any room for Denny in his life anymore, yeah I know about The Sun interviews, but still, that was thirty years ago, and they shared so much...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 7, 2013 02:54

gotdablouse
Just caught the movie in a theater tonight and it was great! Really loud too...actually after 5 o 6 songs it almost feels like a real show, with people clapping and singing, it's pretty eerie!

Sad to think that Linda and Jimmy have passed on and that Paul doesn't have any room for Denny in his life anymore, yeah I know about The Sun interviews, but still, that was thirty years ago, and they shared so much...

It was Denny who walked away from Wings in early 1981 with the reason being that Paul was no longer interested in touring (and following Lennon's death wouldn't return to touring until 1989).

McCartney grew weary of Wings because of all the membership changes. You'll notice with the longevity of his present backing band that he likes to keep the same musicians around him for the long haul.

The two did work together on occasion after Wings. On the 1983 Pipes Of Peace album, Denny is credited with guitars, keyboards, and vocals. He is also credited on 1982's Tug of War with guitars, guitar synthesizer, and bass on this song:

According to Laine's wikipedia page, he is supposedly working with McCartney on an autobiography that will include the Wings period.

Denny Laine wikipedia page: [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: June 7, 2013 11:29

Yeah Laine made some poor decisions, but Paul could have reached out to him...giving him back the rights to the songs that he sold when he needed cash for instance.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: June 7, 2013 11:50

crholmstrom
I saw the show this was recorded at. Was my 2nd concert ever. I was a lad of 15. The Kingdome in Seattle had just opened. My parents made me go to a Billy Graham Crusade in the venue before they would give permission to let me go to the Wings concert. Obviously, it didn't sink in! Haha. Johnny Cash did perform on the crusade though. I wore out a vinyl copy of Wings Over America. I'm going to hold out a few weeks & get the blu-ray version. Toying with the concept of going to see Paul here (Seattle) in July.

I went to the Kingdome show also and it was my first ever concert I went to. I was 11 at the time. On the exact 35th anniversary of that concert, June 10, 2011, I saw Paul play in Las Vegas which I thought was a great way to celebrate that anniversary.

The movie Rock Show is only partially from the Kingdome show with most of it from Los Angeles, though they give you the impression it's all from the Kingdome.

Whenever Paul plays Band on the Run in concert these days, the film on the screens shows a few seconds of the fans in line outside the Kingdome.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 7, 2013 12:58

Thanks for the info. Fond memories of that show. My first concert was Elton John the previous year. When I went to the Stones in Vegas last month, I caught Elton @ Caesar's the night before. It was enjoyable & pretty good (& cost about 10% of what the Stones ticket cost. haha.). Elton still has 3 guys from the glory days in the band. I'm thinking I may go down to Safeco Field the day of Paul's show & see if I can score a ticket outside. The Stones kind of blew the concert budget for awhile but it was worth it.

Date: June 14, 2013 21:55

I am finally back in the US and have opened up the deluxe Wings Over America Box set...and it is absolutely Stunning! This truly is a box set worthy of being called DELUXE. The artwork, packaging, extras, are all amazing. I just also downloaded the free 24 bit version onto iTunes and it sounds simply amazing. For those who like to collect and like this album, get it while you can! It is well worth it.

Date: June 14, 2013 22:26

whitem8
I am finally back in the US and have opened up the deluxe Wings Over America Box set...and it is absolutely Stunning! This truly is a box set worthy of being called DELUXE. The artwork, packaging, extras, are all amazing. I just also downloaded the free 24 bit version onto iTunes and it sounds simply amazing. For those who like to collect and like this album, get it while you can! It is well worth it.

I bought two NM copies of WOA a couple of months ago, in response to this thread and the new release...I just can't bring myself to spend over $100.

I guess I'm not as big a fan, although I did see Paul last year and bought the Beatles vinyl box as well.

Sounds cool though.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home