Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Taking young children / kids to Rolling Stones shows
Posted by: Garbie ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:13

The thing is I already have tickets for the first concert in Hyde Park, going with my wife. My two older girls, twins, 5 years old (the third one is just 3) have been harina the Stones since they were borned...and are asking me to take them to the concert. I would love to do it as I dont know if they will have another opportunity in the future and I am thInking in the Hyde Park concert on the 13th. Would just stay at the back of the GA or Tear 2.

Any experience with that? Any suggestion? Am I just mas and you think its a bad idea or even dangerous?

By the way...they have a fantastic Keith's style performing Brown Sugar with their "virtual" guitars.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-24 15:03 by bv.

Re: Taking kids to a concert. Any idea?
Date: April 9, 2013 23:15

I plan to bring my 11 year old daughter as well.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:19

Garbie
The thing is I already have tickets for the first concert in Hyde Park, going with my wife. My two older girls, twins, 5 years old (the third one is just 3) have been harina the Stones since they were borned...and are asking me to take them to the concert. I would love to do it as I dont know if they will have another opportunity in the future and I am thInking in the Hyde Park concert on the 13th. Would just stay at the back of the GA or Tear 2.

Any experience with that? Any suggestion? Am I just mas and you think its a bad idea or even dangerous?

By the way...they have a fantastic Keith's style performing Brown Sugar with their "virtual" guitars.

I am of the opinion that 3 and 5 years old it still a bit young for a huge, out door, concert like this, especially if it gets messy.... but whatever you think is what what matters most, they are your children.

Date: April 9, 2013 23:21

Yes, but 11 is nearly a woman (I am sure will be great for both of you) but being just 5 my two girls I have doubts. My first Stones concert I was 9 and taken by my older sister and friends in Dublin, and was perfect.

DandelionPowderman

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:23

Be careful. Very very careful. May many years ago I took my then 7 years old son to a Springsteen outdoor show. We were in a safe place with grown up fans but the crowd started moving like a river, and my sun went under the crowd. I picked him out from a very dangerous situation.

The thing is you don't have much control of 65,000 people. If something happens, a panic, the Stones going on stage, a fight, drunk people next to you, almost anything, then you can't stop the crowd. You might survive, but a kid will go under, being stepped over by dozens.

Most probably you will be fine. It is probably safer than crossing the street on a red light, but be careful, I would not do it.

Bjornulf

Date: April 9, 2013 23:24

Thanks Max. The 3 year old one would not come. Just thInking of the 5 years old twins with the idea of spending the day in the Park, finishing with the concert staying far away from the action but dont know what the ambience will be.

By the way....I havent even told my wife...she will probably kill me if I tell her about my idea...

Max'sKansasCity
Garbie

I am of the opinion that 3 and 5 years old it still a bit young for a huge, out door, concert like this, especially if it gets messy.... but whatever you think is what what matters most, they are your children.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:26

My two cents... I really would not take your 5 and 3 year old daughters to the concert. Just my two cents. Festivals/concerts are a party scene and all of us know that. If it is too loud, they don't like it, are tired, what-have-you... Toddlers are just too young for a Stones concert.

I have a daughter who is almost 3. She loves music/dancing but I can imagine her freaking out at the massive crowds, constant yelling/partying and then the loud music potentially not being to her liking. Let alone the festival toilet situation!

Date: April 9, 2013 23:27

Thanks bv. Your comment has made me see the reality. Just thinking about your experience is enough to forget about it.

Probably is more my will to take them with me.

Thanks to all. I will then hope the Stones will keep rolling for some more years...

bv
Be careful. Very very careful. May many years ago I took my then 7 years old son to a Springsteen outdoor show. We were in a safe place with grown up fans but the crowd started moving like a river, and my sun went under the crowd. I picked him out from a very dangerous situation.

The thing is you don't have much control of 65,000 people. If something happens, a panic, the Stones going on stage, a fight, drunk people next to you, almost anything, then you can't stop the crowd. You might survive, but a kid will go under, being stepped over by dozens.

Most probably you will be fine. It is probably safer than crossing the street on a red light, but be careful, I would not do it.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:27

Just exercise some common sense. Watch from a comfortable distance, don't try and go too near the front and you should be fine.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:30

Garbie
Yes, but 11 is nearly a woman (I am sure will be great for both of you) but being just 5 my two girls I have doubts. My first Stones concert I was 9 and taken by my older sister and friends in Dublin, and was perfect.

DandelionPowderman

"Yes, but 11 is nearly a woman "

no. not even close. by anyone's definition.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:31

You better be aware to not take your kids to a Who concert. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:32

Garbie
By the way....I havent even told my wife...she will probably kill me if I tell her about my idea...

Good for you. You sound like being married to a smart woman... thumbs up

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:32

Garbie
Thanks bv. Your comment has made me see the reality. Just thinking about your experience is enough to forget about it.

Probably is more my will to take them with me.

Thanks to all. I will then hope the Stones will keep rolling for some more years...

The Stones will keep rolling.... they will get their chance, as it is... you should go with some buddies and leave both wife and kids and home. Cut loose and have a blast, have some beers let it loose!!! have no worries... be a kid yourself! STONES PARTY IN THE PARK!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-09 23:34 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:36

leave them home.they only want to go because they can tell its something mom and dad are excited about.

nothing good can come from it-they could have their hearing damaged , the scenario bv mentioned or something worse.

Date: April 9, 2013 23:37

It was just a way of saying that there's a big differences between an 11 year old girl and a 5 year old one. My English is far from perfect so sorry if my comment was not appropriate.

duke richardson
Garbie

DandelionPowderman

"Yes, but 11 is nearly a woman "

no. not even close. by anyone's definition.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:45

anyone else experience with taking 8-9 year old girls to GA concerts?

(any hope for seated and children-friendly Stones_gigs in Europeconfused smiley)

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:47

If you do, find a friendly section of middle aged friendly folks and make friends with them to help you lookout for your kids.

I took my 11 year old to Alice Cooper last year and when I told folks it was his first concert everyone kind of thought that was real cool and looked out for him, trying to make sure no one blocked his view and all that.

Now granted, much smaller indoor theater and we were in the designated "under 21" section along with other fathers and mothers...but a lot of college kids too.

Took him to McCartney last year too without incident. Am taking him to the Stones in Chicago next month but he and a friend will be flanked by 3 adults. And let's face it, the concerts of today aren't the drunken drug-filled orgies of old, especially for shows of this high a ticket price (tends to draw an older more sophisticated crowd). Assigned seating helps too (we're not in the pit!).

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 9, 2013 23:54

Give me her phone number, I'll tell hersmoking smiley

Date: April 9, 2013 23:58

Hahaha...she's just a couple of meters from me...but will never know what I am writting (i hope).

...ok, +34 629...

2000 LYFH

Give me her phone number, I'll tell hersmoking smiley

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:04

I don't think there should be any safety problems. Just don't take them too close to the stage and you'll be fine. Are there any seated sectors in Hyde Park? If so choose it.

There might be other problems tough. 5 year olds can get tired and bored before The Rolling Stones enter the stage. They just don't have developed patience yet. And if it's hot or rainy it may not be the best idea to stay with them outdoors for a long time. And of course toilet queue may be too long for them in case of emergency. So you can take them but bear in mind that you most probably won't enjoy the show yourself. I've seen many people with kids leaving early on various occasions.

And one more thing: if you should decide to take your kids to the show anyway REMEMBER TO TAKE EAR PROTECTION FOR THEM. THIS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL!!! You can buy special headsets for them.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:04

My daughter is a concert vet since 4 years old.
It was touch and go until the Stones hit the stage...then she was hooked.

Except for a bit of language from the stage and the inevitable weed smoke I never thought she was in a bad element...

Good luck and good thing you're bringing the wife

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:16

I am taking my 2 daughters 14 and 18 years old. They are not big Stones fans (to say the least!) but are looking forward to the support bands.We will be near the back, much safer.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:17

Took mine to Twickenham in 2006 - aged 10 and 8. They loved it.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:19

At MSG during the last tour Mick said something to the effect of "So nice to see parents here with their children. Sort of like taking them into an enormous bong!"

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:24

Before I was married, I took my (now) stepdaughters to see Wolfman Washington in Chattanooga at a street festival. Sponsored by the city and fairly family friendly. They were 7 & 10 at the time and we had a GREAT time!

That said, the crowd was only 1-5% of the size of what Hyde Park will be.

I'd say the best advice any of us can give you is to consider all the advice you're receiving here, talk with your wife and make the best decision you can. I'd think 5 might be a bit young but, YOU know your daughters far better than any of us do. You have a better sense of how they'll react and behave. If you take them, I hope you all have a great time! If you don't take them, I hope you can find another event to make the highlight of their summer!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:32

I would not even consider taking young children to a show. I'm just now considering taking my 12 y/o son to one of these shows, but only if I get seats. GA would not even be an option.

He could really care less honestly, but I want him to see them.

I'm very hesitant though. He's never been keen on loudness, he's constantly telling me to turn down my music at home, in the car.

The situation BV described above is just one of the awful nightmare things that could happen. So scary. One of the recordings of the Altamont concert has the announcer saying, "we've lost a little girl about 5 years old". Can you imagine? I could never forgive myself.

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: April 10, 2013 00:53

I've taken my kids, ages 3 and 6, to plenty of GA summer concerts, albeit ones quite a bit smaller than Hyde Park. We have fun, but there is an expectation that the kids come before the music, and sometimes you have to make sacrifices. Even at 5, and even if they love hearing Rolling Stones songs, I doubt that a 2+ hour performance would hold their attention. And you just know that they will have to go to the bathroom right when Mick Taylor comes out. So, my vote would be go see the Stones with your buddies, enjoy yourself, and take the kids to something else that's a little smaller scale (and affordable), since they do need to hear music as well.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: April 10, 2013 01:10

Just laughing bitterly to myself at the thought of the music being too loud ... grinning smiley If only ! There's NO CHANCE in Hyde Park that the music will be loud !!!

You would need to be right at the back keeping away from the crowd with such young children anyway, and they wouldn't see anything. It's really not worth it, and they are too young to appreciate it. They would be bored.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: April 10, 2013 01:46

Hey it's no problem you can put your kids in the Stones nursery, at each show a creche is provided £1000 per child - a high chair with concert view £500 - And you can always buy the Stones Child reigns £300.so you can keep a tight grip on them whilst watching the show on Large Screens.........

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 10, 2013 02:07

Ear plugs.

Kids ears are still developing and are sensitive. They also do not know when noise is causing harm. Ear plugs are essential in protecting their ears so no damage is done. Good luck and have fun!

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home