Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Bowie's 6-min "Heroes"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 14, 2005 03:01

Just downloaded this one--jeez, what a kickass version. I know that Brian Eno produced the track, but who is playing guitar on this? I love the F/X. The recording of the vocals of this track has its own story--recorded in a large room, Bowie was on the mic, and stepped back from it with each successive verse. A simple move, but very effective.

Re: OT: Bowie's 6-min "Heroes"
Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 14, 2005 03:17

Robert Fripp (King Crimson) on lead guitar. Check out Eno's "Here Come The Warm Jets" ("Baby's On Fire") for some wild Frippery, & the cover art with the playing card illustration (explicit)of a woman shitting on the ground is a keeper!

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 14, 2005 03:26

Baby's On Fire has some of the most intense guitar work recorded! Haven't thought much about Eno's solo work since then, though he is a wiz at turning knobs at the soundbaord for others.

Date: February 14, 2005 03:30

Neither have I, but those first 4 classics (1974 - 78, "Warm Jets" through "Before & After Science") were remastered last year, & they sound great.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 14, 2005 05:00

One of the best songs of Bowie's career. the single edit doesnt do it justice. There was also a version with part of the lyrics in French ("Héros") and another half in German ("Helden"). All 3 versions were available some years ago as a 12" single. The German version works very well.

If you like Fripp's playing, you should also try Bowie's "Scary Monsters" album. His playing is amazing on that one. Bowie's finest album IMO

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: February 14, 2005 06:14

And don't miss the Aphex Twin remix of that track either.
It's on 26 mixes for cash.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 14, 2005 08:49

I was unaware of the remastering of Eno's early stuff John R. Are they easy to find? I mean if I go to Amazon, am I gonna put another dent into the checking account? If so, LOL, I better be ready for some crap because ENO is definitely an acquired taste, and spending a large sum for 4 discs at the same time by him is going to guarntee some BS and several meals alone at home LOL!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 14, 2005 11:41

Brian Eno co-wrote it, but he didn't produce it.

Heroes is produced by Tony Visconti.

Date: February 14, 2005 23:35

The 4 Eno albums are his 'rock' albums (not ambient, etc) & imo all are great: "Here Come the Warm Jets", "Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy", "Another Green World" & "Before & After Science" - they were remastered for the first time (except for a ltd edition box - the mid 80s cds sound like what that woman leaves on the sidewalk of HCTWJ) last year on Virgin/Astralworks (mine say 'made in Holland' but cost $12.99 at Tower in Cambridge) - identifiable because they're in digipaks (80s cds are in jewelcases) & on the far left of the front cover it says "original masters"...I think anyone who digs the Bowie/Eno collaborations would dig these - I still get a kick out of the synth solo on "The Pow Pow Negro Blowtorch"...Eno is funnier, & more 'human' sounding than Bowie or ex bandmate Ferry, both of whom I also dig

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 15, 2005 00:20

I never had that much interest in Enos solo stuff. Never wanted to do an effort. But now I hear he actually made 'normal' records, I might buy some of those.
I'm a huge Roxy Music fan and I really like the stuff he did with Bowie & U2.

Posted by: neverstop ()
Date: February 15, 2005 21:43

The english / german version really kicks ass. It's far better than the short single edit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1446
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home