Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: For Some Of Us, Mick Taylor Is The 'Sell'...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:20

GRNRBITW
slew
It depends on where the seat is?? $600 bucks and I'll probably be going by myself and try and meet up with people from this board because most people think I'm crazy.

dammit. i was just about to sell you my floor seat for $605.00.

anyone else?

probably a slew of other offers out there.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:23

24FPS
Mick Taylor is an attraction because there's been precious little over the years. You hold out hope they'll do something different, maybe have a sitar player do the intro to Paint It Black, or have a real flute player do the Ruby Tuesday bit. But it never happens. Then they botch bringing Bill back by treating him so off handedly. They really do seem to do as little as they possibly have to. Very, very little artistic chance is ever taken.

Well, now that they opened the door to Taylor, and Wyman, sort of, people aren't satisfied with just seeing the same old road show since '94. Of course there are enough people to pay the sucker money and maybe see them once in their lifetimes, but I don't think hard core fans are all that excited. And, as Palerider22 said, some will hang back and see what exactly they'll allow Taylor to do.

As much as I love the Rolling Stones, they have proven over and over that they don't really give a crap what the hard core fans want to hear. Or who they want to see in the band. On stage they will do the absolute minimum for the maximum amount of cash. Fine. They earned it I guess. It would have been nice for them to play true rarities, or interesting covers and stretch out. But this most rebellious of bands has always been the most professional. The most by the book, clockwork on time group since the late 70s. It's very corporate and it's very predictable. They're old. I understand. Take another lap. Rake in some coin. Relax.

I think " as the song

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:24

$605 - I'll buy it! smiling smiley

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:30

slew

i'll need a pinky finger and two toes, too

Date: April 6, 2013 17:31

GRNRBITW
slew

i'll need a pinky finger and two toes, too

Don't worry slew, they grow back.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 6, 2013 17:37

24FPS
Mick Taylor is an attraction because there's been precious little over the years. You hold out hope they'll do something different, maybe have a sitar player do the intro to Paint It Black, or have a real flute player do the Ruby Tuesday bit. But it never happens. Then they botch bringing Bill back by treating him so off handedly. They really do seem to do as little as they possibly have to. Very, very little artistic chance is ever taken.

Well, now that they opened the door to Taylor, and Wyman, sort of, people aren't satisfied with just seeing the same old road show since '94. Of course there are enough people to pay the sucker money and maybe see them once in their lifetimes, but I don't think hard core fans are all that excited. And, as Palerider22 said, some will hang back and see what exactly they'll allow Taylor to do.

As much as I love the Rolling Stones, they have proven over and over that they don't really give a crap what the hard core fans want to hear. Or who they want to see in the band. On stage they will do the absolute minimum for the maximum amount of cash. Fine. They earned it I guess. It would have been nice for them to play true rarities, or interesting covers and stretch out. But this most rebellious of bands has always been the most professional. The most by the book, clockwork on time group since the late 70s. It's very corporate and it's very predictable. They're old. I understand. Take another lap. Rake in some coin. Relax.

I think your observations are spot on. As a long time Stones fan who has been lucky to catch them at least once on every tour since 72, I have mixed feelings about this upcoming tour as it really could be the last time (to quote the song). I chose not to see them on the Bigger Bang tour because I could not justify the money to see the same old thing. There was nothing new or different to entice me to come. Now, with the possibility of Mick Taylor on board (and I knew for certain that he was playing on several tunes as opposed to just one guest spot), that would be a game changer for me where I would shell out the bucks to see them...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 6, 2013 20:14

Do they truly integrate him into the show, or do they give him a token one song? I think that's the big question. Hopefully with enough rehearsal time they can do something really special. I am cautiously optimistic.

Date: April 6, 2013 20:15

71Tele
Do they truly integrate him into the show, or do they give him a token one song? I think that's the big question. Hopefully with enough rehearsal time they can do something really special. I am cautiously optimistic.

I don't think they'd drag him around for one song. He'll get some sort of mini-set and it'll be great and I'll wish I had sprang for it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 6, 2013 20:26

treaclefingers
71Tele

I don't think they'd drag him around for one song. He'll get some sort of mini-set and it'll be great and I'll wish I had sprang for it.

Do it treaclefingers, do it! You know you want to...

Date: April 6, 2013 20:28

latebloomer
treaclefingers
71Tele

Yeah, but then after I did it I'd get the Visa Statement, and be sorry I sprang for it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 6, 2013 20:31

treaclefingers
latebloomer
treaclefingers
71Tele

Yeah, but then after I did it I'd get the Visa Statement, and be sorry I sprang for it.

Get your self an zero percent interest card, put it on that, and then forget about it for a while. Works for me everytime.winking smiley

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: April 6, 2013 21:10

71Tele

Are you going again to try to see MT again?? Hope you can make it this timethumbs up

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 6, 2013 22:09

71Tele

They are going to rehearse with Taylor in LA at the end of April, as far as I know. So there will be time enough to do more than one song with him. Let's see.

Date: April 6, 2013 22:26

71Tele

some people never learn. sigh.

Date: April 6, 2013 22:44

GRNRBITW
71Tele

some people never learn. sigh.

He will, for better or worse. smiling smiley

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 6, 2013 23:04

24FPS
. . . You hold out hope they'll do something different, maybe have a sitar player do the intro to Paint It Black, or have a real flute player do the Ruby Tuesday bit. But it never happens. Then they botch bringing Bill back by treating him so off handedly. They really do seem to do as little as they possibly have to. Very, very little artistic chance is ever taken.

I see your point, but I can't agree. If someone on this board said a year or three ago that the Stones would tour with Taylor no one would have believed them. Similarly the idea that Wyman would be invited back to play for every concert isn't something that anyone would have expected. We may have desired it, but no one would believe it.
Yet Taylor is back and Wyman was invited back. That Wyman and the Stones couldn't find a way to make it work is truly too bad, but let's remember that Bill left the Stones, the Stones didn't leave him.

As for rarities, they've play a wider selection of songs during the Bigger Bang and 40 Licks tour than they had previously, but that's never going to happen in big numbers when the band's trying to attract folks that haven't seen them or that want to repeat the experience of hearing their favorite (warhorse) songs. It's almost like asking a Shakespearean theatre company to perform Coriolanus or Timon of Athens instead of King Lear and Hamlet. Sure, there are a small number who'd go see Timon of Athens but the biggest audience wants to see Hamlet. What are you going to do? For the Stones, it's clear: they play their Hamlets and King Lears, not Cymbeline or Pericles, Prince of Tyre.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 6, 2013 23:39

A significant percentage of the attendees at a Rolling Stones concert of today, know who Mick Jagger is. Period.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 7, 2013 00:18

audun-eg
A significant percentage of the attendees at a Rolling Stones concert of today, know who Mick Jagger is. Period.

I guess that kind of sums it up. That's what the DVD sets are for, to pick out the rarities. I wonder if Charlie has talked to Bill about his recent experience with the group? It's so f'd up that they can't just talk among themselves and work things out. They're emotional midgets for god's sake.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 7, 2013 00:21

As it was, I wouldn't go on No Security prices at this point, now I gotta go to at least one show even if I have to do the unthinkable like pay $175 for a nosebleed.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 7, 2013 00:25

Lucky enough to be going to Hyde Park for a mere £95 - is MT due to play?

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: April 7, 2013 05:32

palerider22
Strange...For the past 48 hours I've been communicating with some buddies that I've been to Stones concerts with since the '81 tour and the general thought has been somewhat surprising. We're all in our 50's and to a man, and we're all men...Nobody...and I mean, Nobody...seems to be willing to shell out a couple of hundred, or a few hundred dollars, to see the same act that we've seen the last 20-odd years. I find myself reluctant as well. The general consensus is that unless Mick Taylor plays on a good half-dozen Ya-ya's/Sticky/Exile songs we're not interested (and the wives and girlfriends sure as heck aren't interested!). If it turns out he's only there for one song in the first couple of shows...pffft!

It's not that anyone doesn't like the present line-up but it's a been there-done that feeling....at least 15 shows since '81. Maybe it's because we're in our antiquated years, I don't know. But Mick Taylor, out of nowhere, has somehow become the only incentive to go see them once again...at least for us old guys. Maybe the newer fans couldn't care less. So...it's a wait in see...no panic rush to get tickets...yet. Maybe I'll end up going anyway. It's sure to be a great show but I'm feeling that I've already seen it before. If I do go and Taylor's on for one song only...it won't be special...know what I mean?

Don't like it? Then don't go. I can't wait to see the Rolling Stones. Mick Taylor is NOT the sell. Easily replaced. check out Black and Blue.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 7, 2013 06:39

Blue
71Tele

Are you going again to try to see MT again?? Hope you can make it this timethumbs up

Yes, since he is officially announced this time I think I can do it. Sort of wish I had gone to Newark instead of Brooklyn, but there you go...

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: April 7, 2013 07:58

71Tele
Blue
71Tele

Yes, since he is officially announced this time I think I can do it. Sort of wish I had gone to Newark instead of Brooklyn, but there you go...

>grinning smiley< Good to hear!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 7, 2013 12:03

For me not the "sell" but a big big bonus

Posted by: MickyG ()
Date: April 7, 2013 12:25

Harm

Hell yes...here's hoping for an MT set with Sway, Cant you here me knocking, Moonlight Mile, Let it loose, Winter and Time waits for no-one!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 7, 2013 12:59

MickyG
Harm

Hell yes...here's hoping for an MT set with Sway, Cant you here me knocking, Moonlight Mile, Let it loose, Winter and Time waits for no-one!

oh man!!

Posted by: steini ()
Date: April 7, 2013 13:54

I don´t care if Mick Taylor will be guest or not honestly. If he is then fine with me. But when the Stones play like they did last year(Ron Wood exspecially) they are what im after.

Date: April 7, 2013 14:57

To me, Mick Taylor was the sell. It was great to see him live in Rotterdam, '73, he really was the shit hot lead player then.., and you knew it in advance. That's not sure nowadays, but if you have never seen him before with the RS, take a chance and go.

These days Mick T's playing with the Stones give me a similar feeling I had when Bobby Fischer returned to the chess board in 1993 again, after 21 years of absence. Still a good player, but the level decreased and thus the spell had been broken.

So although the temporary Stones guitar section is half the army they used to be, at least nostalgia can be a good reason to go and watch MT and his buddies once more.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 7, 2013 15:31

It's as much a moment of recognition as nostalgia I think.

Mick Taylor isn't as majestic as he once was and neither of course are The Rolling Stones, but he still managed to give their sound an extra edge that wasn't there otherwise. Rough as it was, for sure more plays will result in more refined and better musical moments during his time onstage with them.

I hope he plays at Hyde Park!

Date: April 7, 2013 17:24

Shade
palerider22
Strange...For the past 48 hours I've been communicating with some buddies that I've been to Stones concerts with since the '81 tour and the general thought has been somewhat surprising. We're all in our 50's and to a man, and we're all men...Nobody...and I mean, Nobody...seems to be willing to shell out a couple of hundred, or a few hundred dollars, to see the same act that we've seen the last 20-odd years. I find myself reluctant as well. The general consensus is that unless Mick Taylor plays on a good half-dozen Ya-ya's/Sticky/Exile songs we're not interested (and the wives and girlfriends sure as heck aren't interested!). If it turns out he's only there for one song in the first couple of shows...pffft!

It's not that anyone doesn't like the present line-up but it's a been there-done that feeling....at least 15 shows since '81. Maybe it's because we're in our antiquated years, I don't know. But Mick Taylor, out of nowhere, has somehow become the only incentive to go see them once again...at least for us old guys. Maybe the newer fans couldn't care less. So...it's a wait in see...no panic rush to get tickets...yet. Maybe I'll end up going anyway. It's sure to be a great show but I'm feeling that I've already seen it before. If I do go and Taylor's on for one song only...it won't be special...know what I mean?

Don't like it? Then don't go. I can't wait to see the Rolling Stones. Mick Taylor is NOT the sell. Easily replaced. check out Black and Blue.

wayne perkins and harvey mandel are the sells?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home