Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: San Jose May 2013 show planning
Posted by: tiffjagger ()
Date: April 13, 2013 21:42

mrsoandso
Thanks tiffjagger.

I'm flying in for the San Jose show and wanted to spend a few days at the beach after. It's my wifes first time in Cali so I wanted to give her a taste of the scene, Santa Cruz seemed like a good spot. I'm not going to have a car so I needed someplace accessible by public transport, near the beach, reasonably priced and clean.

Thanks again.

Public transport is not very good over here. You may want to consider renting a car to come over to Santa Cruz. Your other option is the Highway 17 Express that picks up at the Caltrain station in San Jose.
The best place to stay to get the beach feel would be The Dream Inn. It's right at the base of the Santa Cruz Wharf and walking distance to the Boardwalk and the world famous waves at Steamer's Lane. All the rooms are ocean view too. Again we have a population of shady characters, think Venice Beach, so fyi on that.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 13, 2013 23:17

The Caltrain takes you anyway in the valley from SF downtown to the San Jose arena. Many hotels in the area still. I would stay in San Jose downtown, because the Caltrain is slow and you get very, very tired on your way home. Better witha beer in the local pub after the show.

Bjornulf

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 14, 2013 05:51

bv
The Caltrain takes you anyway in the valley from SF downtown to the San Jose arena. Many hotels in the area still. I would stay in San Jose downtown, because the Caltrain is slow and you get very, very tired on your way home. Better witha beer in the local pub after the show.

Excellent advice BV!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 14, 2013 06:25

daytime
Are there any pubs near the concert venue?
This is a nice place just a few blocks from the arnea.A popular place for hockey fans to gather before Sharks games and a good pre-concert hangout.

[www.britanniaarmsdowntown.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-18 07:01 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 14, 2013 06:49

Grison
Can anyone give an advice regarding HOtels in San Jose and/or Oakland?
Thanks

I swear by Priceline, select zip & star level of hotel, then name your own price. Capt. James T. Kirk isn't wrong! San Jose is nice.

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: April 14, 2013 10:04

thanks to everyone for their suggestions. see you at the show.

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: April 15, 2013 23:19

Hey BV will you be at the SJ show.

Posted by: bluejean ()
Date: April 18, 2013 02:53

Just realized that I won't get a chance to resell my $600 tickets once I figure out where the seats on my $85 tickets are - so basically I've got the choice of taking a gamble that my $85 seats are as good or better than my Section 106 $600 tickets, and selling those more expensive ones prior to the SJ concert... or just leaving it and using whichever tickets give me the better seats on the night, essentially spending about $1000. Yikes.
There seem to be a LOT of full-price tickets left for SJ right now... does that mean maybe my $85 tickets will end up giving me quite good seats? I don't know, it's a massive gamble. Thoughts, anyone?

Date: April 18, 2013 04:43

bluejean
Just realized that I won't get a chance to resell my $600 tickets once I figure out where the seats on my $85 tickets are - so basically I've got the choice of taking a gamble that my $85 seats are as good or better than my Section 106 $600 tickets, and selling those more expensive ones prior to the SJ concert... or just leaving it and using whichever tickets give me the better seats on the night, essentially spending about $1000. Yikes.
There seem to be a LOT of full-price tickets left for SJ right now... does that mean maybe my $85 tickets will end up giving me quite good seats? I don't know, it's a massive gamble. Thoughts, anyone?

There are a lot of the top price tickets left, plus the secondary market has a lot of tickets too. I bought 3 of the $250s. I didn't try for the $85s because we didn't want to take the chance of us not being together.
I've been to concerts before at HP that the upper end tickets didn't sell out and they upgraded our tickets at the door. I hope the Stones sell plenty of tickets but I hope we get upgraded if there are lots of open seats closer to the stage. About half the HP tickets are $600, That's a lot of high end tickets to sell for a Wednesday night.
So yes I think the $85s will be good seats but I'm also hoping to get an upgrade if there are a lot of unsold seats. But I'm not counting on it. Good luck.

Date: April 23, 2013 02:23

$250 tickets are back up on Ticketmaster.

Date: April 23, 2013 07:27

No Expectations

Yep...noticed this too AND they are better seats than the "best available" I bought the minute they went on sale. Not happy.

Date: April 23, 2013 07:42

tiffjagger
No Expectations

Yep...noticed this too AND they are better seats than the "best available" I bought the minute they went on sale. Not happy.

Promoter and Stones have screwed this up from the get go! Very poorly done!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 23, 2013 11:55

No Expectations
tiffjagger
No Expectations

For the Oakland show, I was on Ticketmaster the minute they went on sale. Got turned off by the prices. Just checked a few hours ago, the seats now available are WAY better for the same price than before. The pricing per section hasn't changed, but for example the lower club level seats available are right up by the stage vs. all the way in the back on the day tickets went on sale.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 23, 2013 12:01

sonomastone
No Expectations
tiffjagger
No Expectations

For the Oakland show, I was on Ticketmaster the minute they went on sale. Got turned off by the prices. Just checked a few hours ago, the seats now available are WAY better for the same price than before. The pricing per section hasn't changed, but for example the lower club level seats available are right up by the stage vs. all the way in the back on the day tickets went on sale.
They did it also in London last year and the East concerts as well. Of course they try to sell the worse seats first. Wouldn't you try that as well.
And by the way it was also during ABB and Licks that even with Priority Sales worse seats shown up first.

Posted by: nanker25 ()
Date: April 23, 2013 22:55

If you are going to Santa Cruz, there are plenty of motels on Ocean Street. Highway 17 empties onto Ocean, headed toward the beach.
If you are sans car, take the Highway 17 bus, which stops at Caltrain, across the street from HP Pavilion. It goes to downtown Santa Cruz.
There are buses that will get you around Santa Cruz, the beach, redwoods etc.

Posted by: bluejean ()
Date: April 26, 2013 09:36

tiffjagger
bluejean

There are a lot of the top price tickets left, plus the secondary market has a lot of tickets too. I bought 3 of the $250s. I didn't try for the $85s because we didn't want to take the chance of us not being together.
I've been to concerts before at HP that the upper end tickets didn't sell out and they upgraded our tickets at the door. I hope the Stones sell plenty of tickets but I hope we get upgraded if there are lots of open seats closer to the stage. About half the HP tickets are $600, That's a lot of high end tickets to sell for a Wednesday night.
So yes I think the $85s will be good seats but I'm also hoping to get an upgrade if there are a lot of unsold seats. But I'm not counting on it. Good luck.

Ooh. I'm tempted to try and sell my $600 tickets and just take a gamble on the $85 pair but I mean if they're not really selling via Ticketmaster then why would someone want to buy them from me.

Am I reading this correctly or are you saying the pairs of $85 tickets aren't necessarily seated together?? I hope that's not true...
But thanks for your advice/insight! smiling smiley

Also
sweetcharmedlife
This is a nice place just a few blocks from the arnea.A popular place for hockey fans to gather before Sharks games and a good pre-concert hangout.

[www.britanniaarmsdowntown.com]

Thanks for this! I was wondering about bars in the area. I'm there.

Date: April 26, 2013 20:38

bluejean

bluejean

Ooh. I'm tempted to try and sell my $600 tickets and just take a gamble on the $85 pair but I mean if they're not really selling via Ticketmaster then why would someone want to buy them from me.

Am I reading this correctly or are you saying the pairs of $85 tickets aren't necessarily seated together?? I hope that's not true...
But thanks for your advice/insight! smiling smiley

I think that the pairs of $85s will be together, but in my case I needed 3 tickets and I could of bought 2 pairs of $85s but I didn't want to take the chance that both sets wouldn't be together so we bought 3 $250s instead. My tickets are right above the stage so in a way they are better than some back of the venue $600s. I've been to HP many times so I know the lay out pretty well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-27 01:53 by tiffjagger.

Date: April 30, 2013 04:51

When I was at a San Jose Sharks game earlier this year we went to this microbrew restarant:

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant
33 E San Fernando St
San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 294-6785

[www.gordonbiersch.com]

It is just two blocks from the Fairmont hotel. Even if it is a chain microbrew, the place is great, the beer is fresh, they make 5+1 sample tasters of beer types, which is great, and they have plenty of space both at the bar and for eating.

It is downtown, so walking to the arena would be 20 minutes or so if you walk slow.

Any suggestions or comments regarding this place? It will probably be my recommended waterhole for the Stones show in San Jose.

Bjornulf

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: April 30, 2013 05:09

I go there quite a bit. It can get a bit crowded, but then they have an outside area in the entrance alley that is fun to hang out for drinking if nice weather. Located on the middle of downtown. A lot of parking in area also- pay but cheaper than next to HP arena. I like their beer!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 30, 2013 05:14

bv
When I was at a San Jose Sharks game earlier this year we went to this microbrew restarant:

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant
33 E San Fernando St
San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 294-6785

[www.gordonbiersch.com]

It is just two blocks from the Fairmont hotel. Even if it is a chain microbrew, the place is great, the beer is fresh, they make 5+1 sample tasters of beer types, which is great, and they have plenty of space both at the bar and for eating.

It is downtown, so walking to the arena would be 20 minutes or so if you walk slow.

Any suggestions or comments regarding this place? It will probably be my recommended waterhole for the Stones show in San Jose.

I've been there as well - it's fine and would be an easy place to go - good energy - and the weather should be nice so can maybe spill outside!

- swiss

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: April 30, 2013 20:51

$85 ticket drop right now.

[www.ticketmaster.com]

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 30, 2013 21:09

Already gone it seems gwen..

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 30, 2013 21:14

I don't have a ticket for the San Jose show but I will probably be dropping by Gordon Biersch (or wherever the hook up is) to hang out before the show. Look forward to seeing those from Sunday and some new faces too...

Date: April 30, 2013 21:18

The box office may have tickets in the afternoon on show day. happens often, late returns...

Bjornulf

Date: May 2, 2013 02:01

There are still excellent seats available in all price catagories.

Date: May 2, 2013 06:39

I just found out that there is an NHL play-off game the night before the show on Tuesday May 7. Vancouver @ San Jose. Last time I was in San Jose in late January for a business trip, Thorton & al beat up Vancouver pretty bad, but this time I will go for the Canucks. Perfect warm-up for the Stones the next day.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 03:19 by bv.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:02

I bought a pair of $270 seats at the onsale. I checked today and saw that there were the $270 seats available in row 1, section 201, upper level center. Thanks to advice on this site, I called Ticketmaster and they upgraded the seats. I don't know if those had originally been priced higher, or were being held back and released. But thanks for the advice.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 3, 2013 02:44

bv
I just found out that there is an NHL play-off game the night before the show on Tuesday May 7. Vancouver @ San Jose. Last time I was in San Jose in late January for a business trip, Thorton & al beat up Vancouver pretty bad, but this time I will go for the Cannucks. Perfect warm-up for the Stones the next day.
Good luck with that. Sharks already up 1-0 in series.drinking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: May 3, 2013 16:54

Staying at the Fairmont so GB works for me and the rest of the tjagger family. There is another Stones gathering at the Brittania Arms but I don't want to have to get ourselves to The Brit and then the HP, so GB is good as it is closer to the downtown hotels.
Any idea on the time this will start?

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 4, 2013 05:10

Bought a pair of $85 tickets this evening.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1358
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home