Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

R.I.P. Knudsen: Photos UP!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 10, 2005 17:19

It seems Rock Stars are dropping like flies, again. SAD.
-------------------------------------------------------------

(yahoo.com)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Updated: 05:00 PM EST
Doobie Brothers Drummer Dies
Keith Knudsen Anchored the Band During Its String of Big Hits
By KIM CURTIS, AP

(Corbis)
Knudsen had been hospitalized for more than a month, according to the band's manager.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More on This Story:
Doobie Brothers on AOL Music
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAN FRANCISCO (Feb. 8) - Keith Knudsen, the longtime Doobie Brothers drummer who was part of the band during a string of hits that included "Taking it to the Streets" and "Black Water," died of pneumonia Tuesday. He was 56.

Knudsen had been hospitalized for more than a month, according to the band's longtime manager Bruce Cohn.

"I just saw him Sunday, just before the Super Bowl," Cohn said. "He was in good spirits. He was weak, but he was OK."

Knudsen began drumming in eighth grade and joined the Doobie Brothers in 1974. "After a week's rehearsal, I went on the road with the band," Knudsen said in his biography on the band's Web site.

The Doobies were known for incorporating gospel and jazz stylings into popular hit songs. They also were well-regarded for their live performances. Their other hits included "China Grove" and "Jesus is Just Alright."

Knudsen played with the Doobies until the band's 1982 farewell tour. During the band's hiatus, Knudsen and bandmate John McFee formed the country rock group Southern Pacific, which released four albums and had several hits.

He rejoined the band full-time in 1993.

"He's going to be missed," said Tom Johnston, the band's founder. "We're going to miss him on drums. I'm going to miss him as a buddy."

Knudsen, who lived in Sonoma County's wine country, had cancer in 1995, Johnston said.

"It left him weak and I don't think he ever fully regained all his strength," Johnston said.

He said the band was currently performing about 100 concerts a year and is scheduled to release a new album this summer.

02/08/05 21:46 EST

AP

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-11 00:09 by Demon.

Re: R.I.P. Knudsen
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 10, 2005 18:24

No just rock stars - drummers in particular. 4th one in recent times - Buttrey, Dryden, Capaldi and now Knudsen. Stay healthy Charlie Boy!

Re: R.I.P. Knudsen
Date: February 10, 2005 21:42

Finally got the photo up.

Re: R.I.P. Knudsen: Photos UP!
Date: February 11, 2005 00:11

I added a couple more photos.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1637
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home