Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ernie Watts/Hampton
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 9, 2005 17:32

I saw the Hampton show for the first time yesterday and i was pleasently suprised. I never really liked the '81/'82 tour because Micks sings terribly on most songs on Let's spend the night togehter and i never really like Still Live. Therefore i never really made an effort to listen to more stuff from that tour.
But yesterday i watched the concert and i liked it a lot. Mick wasn't shouting that much but was singing on most of the tunes and the guitars are great!
But what stood out for me the most was the saxophone. I really like his style and his sound. I was also suprised that he plays on so many songs. He had an prominend role wich suprised me a bit because they hadn't had a sax player in '78 and because they played a lot of the same songs as in '78 i wouldn't expect long sax solo's. Ernie Watts sure gives a different dimension to songs like Beast of Burden and Miss You.

Whatever happened to this guy and why did he played on so many songs and Bobby Keys only payed on two or three songs that tour?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-09 18:07 by Wuudy.

Re: Earnie Watts/Hampton
Posted by: Greg ()
Date: February 9, 2005 17:49

Totally agree, Wuudy. I never understood the Ernie Watts bashing on this board. He's an excellent musician and fitted in perfectly on this tour, esp. on songs like Imagination, WoaF and the ones you mentioned. Truly a great addition to the Art of Weaving - which was REAL back in '81. Keys played only on a couple of songs (his classic solo on BS a.o.) because he is such a poor improviser, contrary to Watts. The best example of his lack of improvisational skill I find always YCAGWYW Brussels version, where he just keps on repeating the last frase of MT's wonderful solo. I'd rather have MT continue for those 5 or 6 minutes. And I think he could easily have done so.

check out what the man has done before and after the Stones here:

[5rj282r051a" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.allmusic.com]

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 9, 2005 17:51

Hampton was easily the best show from the Tour - however, I reckon Ernie Watts is still an annoying player....but I guess I am biased as I really wanted to hear Bobby..

Esky

Re: Ernie Watts/Hampton
Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: February 9, 2005 19:54

Sorry, but I have an opposite view. When I watch the Hampton show, I'm annoyed as to how loud the sax is. The stones are a guitar band, and nothing should be louder than the guitars. Everything else should complement the guitars, not drown them out. Just my taste.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 9, 2005 21:51

loved Ernie Watts. Can't say the same about Andy Snitzer - his mis-guided solos on recent Neighbours outings have all but ruined the song.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 9, 2005 23:51

I feel the same way about Ernie that many people today feel about Chuck...to high ion the mix and too prominenet.

Date: February 9, 2005 23:55

I thought EW was a great addition to the band, What an amazing sax player, Bobby was a junkie at the time and couldnt hack it so he was asked in LA to join after like there 3rd or 4th show. awsome

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 9, 2005 23:55

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't say the same about Andy
> Snitzer - his mis-guided solos on recent
> Neighbours outings have all but ruined the song.

That's Tim Ries. Andy Snitzer played in 94-98.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 9, 2005 23:57

These days Ernie Watts is touring and recording with jazz artists. I saw him at a jazz club in Sweden last year, and he's still got it.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 10, 2005 00:13

thanks for the correction, erik - the damned playing is so bad I didn't even really care who the offender was I guess!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 10, 2005 00:19

ernie was great on that tour
as was gene barge in 82

Posted by: BBstones ()
Date: February 10, 2005 01:43

check out the just for the record DVD 80's decade. Ernie Watts talks about his time with the Stones and is interesting. Besides when The Stones ask you to play with them what are are going to say? No?

Date: February 10, 2005 03:29

the damned playing huh?

Date: February 10, 2005 08:30

Esky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hampton was easily the best show from the Tour -
> however, I reckon Ernie Watts is still an annoying
> player....but I guess I am biased as I really
> wanted to hear Bobby..
>
> Esky

From what members on this board have said, Seattle '81 #2 (matinee 15/10/81) was a red hot rocker. Soooooooooo glad I was watching Peter Bleeding Jennnings on Wairld Nooze Tonaght when they hit the stage at 1800. I was bored to tears the evening before.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 10, 2005 10:51

>Keys played only on a couple of songs (his classic solo on BS a.o.) because he >is such a poor improviser, contrary to Watts. The best example of his lack of >improvisational skill I find always YCAGWYW Brussels version, where he just >keps on repeating the last frase of MT's wonderful solo.

Keys only played on Let it Bleed and Brown Sugar on a total of five shows as a special guest, as Jagger didn't want him on the tour at all as Keys was a crack cocaine and alcohol addict in 1981, and totally unreliable. The 1981 tour started without horns, then Lee Allen was added, then Ernie Watts. According to Bill Wyman, Keys was invited by Keith in order to earn some money, Keith wanted to help his friend.

And personally I don't think Keys has a lack of improvisation. All horn parts on Exile were written by him and Jim Price, his solo on Can't You Hear MK is a total improvisation.

To me, Hampton 1981 is one of the best ever Stones shows as it is. I love the saxophone roaring through all songs, and especially on Imagination. It truly is a third guitar in the mix, and I love it.

What really is dreadfull to me is the Gene Barge/Bobby Keys combo on the 1981 tour. It's this high pitched sound, and it is really irritating. Check out the difference between Hang Fire from Hampton and Hang Fire from Wembley 1982. If you at it, check out the difference betwen Ian McLagans tastefull playing on Imagination in Hampton 1981, and Chuck Leavel's horrible "I blow all guitars off the stage" on the Napoli 1982 soundboard. Truly an end of an era.

Mathijs

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 10, 2005 11:34

Why did they start of without any horns and then change the horn section so much during that tour?
To bad Ernie left!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2005 12:24

Mathijs wrote....
To me, Hampton 1981 is one of the best ever Stones shows as it is. I love the saxophone roaring through all songs, and especially on Imagination. It truly is a third guitar in the mix, and I love it.

Yeah Mathijs I couldn't agree with you more. I watch the Hampton 81 - Jointrip DVD on a regular basis. The whole show just knocks me especially when The Stones dig in for the 9 minute haul and take Imagination to great heights.....Classic Show.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: February 10, 2005 13:36

I was perhaps a bit harsh on Keys, Mathijs, but I can't imagine him playing those totally relaxed, long melodic and meandering lines Ernie Watts played.

The entrance of Chuck is exactly the reason why I don't listen to Napoli anymore, eSPEcially Imagination. Not just the end of an era, but also the beginning of one. Or an inverted memento mori, if you want.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: February 10, 2005 21:04

Hello!

What is the best DVD version to get from this show?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: AS ()
Date: February 12, 2005 23:01

Bro, before you slam somebody up here, try to have your facts straight. The info re lineup is right there on the CD booklet, pretty easy to find. Normally, I wouldn't get into this, but someone brought this post to my attention....

thanks,

Andy

Posted by: Berlin ()
Date: February 15, 2005 22:39

E.Watts is actually doing some gigs in Germany with his E.Watts Quartet. Saw him saturday night in Berlin in a small jazz-club. Outstanding player, great (modern)-jazz-stylist, never boring and very relaxed. Highly recommended.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home