Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Midnight Rambler" on Four Flicks
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 9, 2005 03:56

"Midnight Rambler" is the one song on the whole collection, IMHO, that really harkens back to the classic live performances of the 70s. Keith's got the riff, Ronnie adds the icing, and Mick is in top form. Charlie is very happy during this one, too. This is one of my favorites from "Four Flicks", and I'd think that most of you would agree. What do you think?

Re: "Midnight Rambler" on Four Flicks
Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: February 9, 2005 04:25

I couldn't agree more...They absolutly kicked ass on that one.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: February 9, 2005 04:35

absolutely proves with out a doubt they have no equal.

john scialfa

Posted by: phillies1222 ()
Date: February 9, 2005 04:55

I also agree, I think this has always been one of their really great live songs. It is awesome on four flicks.

Raise your glass to the good and the evil, Let's drink to the salt of the earth.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 9, 2005 06:57

Is very good but most later versions lack the
spontenuity of the 69 shows, which is quite understandable.
Boy Mick and the boys must get sick of that one but what
can they do? Goes to show how dedicated they are to the fans.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 9, 2005 07:09

I agree it is possibly the best performance on Four Flicks and probably the most consistently well played song of their career but i also feel it's a long way behind the standard set in the 70s. Mick's voice doesn't sound as good to me.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 9, 2005 07:16

davido, are you a musician? One of the beautiful aspects of "Midnight Rambler" is that it's an open-ended tune, which allows much room for improvisation. Many Stones' tunes are structured in that way, while others only work "as scripted" on the stage.

Posted by: rover ()
Date: February 9, 2005 08:12

Midnight rambler live is the purest stones experience available. I was front row at the b stage in Melbourne when they did it in 2003. It was an unforgetable experience and the 4 flicks version still brings tears to my eyes.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 9, 2005 08:29

Stuttgart '99 version is one of my faves. It has stood up well over the years, but the cynic in me wonders how difficult a song it is to play well.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 9, 2005 12:41

It´s really great.

Even during Urban Jungle, Midnight Rambler was the only song where the Stones were "themselves". No Matt Clifford to spoil the party.

As long as they can play that song they are able to tour.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 9, 2005 13:41

Dunno Bassplayer, no I'm not.
But I do like improve. As much as
I don't mind how they do Rambler nowadays,
and maybe play around with it too, it's still
a warhorse, a hot rock. Not too much more
they can do with it methinks, but this
is a minor gripe, is one of my favourites,
play on!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 9, 2005 14:57

Midnight Rambler on four flicks are lightyears away from the fantastic versions they played from 69 to 72. But maybe we're talking about two diffrent bands?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 9, 2005 15:12

Agree 100%: Rambler on 4F is absolutely fantastic!
I can remember another great version of MR in Zurich, on the closing date of the Liks tour. At least this is how I remember it. I'd love to have copy of a boot of that show.

C

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: February 9, 2005 15:17

I was at MSG, seats on the floor for the HBO/Four Flicks show. Midnight Rambler was THE highlight of the show. I have heard them play it live before and have heard the various boots. The way they Rambler that night was truly great, not a hint of the "Vegas" version, gritty and tough, the song wound with tension. Anyone who doubts Keiths ability to play should pay attention during those 11 plus minutes.

It comes over great on Four Flicks but it came over fantastic being there. While they were playing it you realised that you were witnessing and hearing a version of their song that people would later talk about......and now they are.

What a powerhouse version.

Milo, NYC
Dance little sister, dance

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: February 9, 2005 17:00

Agre 100% Amazing!

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 9, 2005 18:47

A dear friend of mine who is a modest rock fan but not really obsessive about the Stones, or anybody, happened to catch the HBO Broadcast (which is the same version as FF). He said "Midnight Rambler" kicked ass. If a fairweather fan can see it kicked ass, then it DID KICK ASS!

BTW, he was underwhelmed by "CYHMK" which is his favorite Stones song.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: February 9, 2005 19:11

Midnight Rambler is the highlight of Four Flicks. It is definitely the best track.
The Stones should have played it live and recorded it many more times. We have so few versions of it, compared to Brown Sugar or Jumping Jack Flash for instance. Why do they play it so rarely?

Posted by: DD ()
Date: February 10, 2005 12:22

I agree it's great, but listen to Daryl. For some reason, instead of playing beat-for-beat with the guitars and hi-hat, he's only playing half-time. Consequently, there's no swing at all. As he is a player who obviously knows his blues and jazz, I thought it was both surprising and disappointing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home