Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk (GRRR! Tracks): One More Shot
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 25, 2013 18:56

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
i listened to it once and that's three minutes i wish i had back.

It gets even worse if you consider the inordinate amount of time one has to spend complaining about it.

true. i prefer songs about which i can complain an ordinate amount.

Posted by: McQwerty ()
Date: March 25, 2013 21:27

Come On
Hmmmm

Sweet caty <3

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 25, 2013 21:39

Love One More Shot....especially the sound of the background lead guitar, and Mick's bad boy vocals like the old days, and the melody, NICE!...not a big fan of Doom and Gloom.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 25, 2013 21:45

Doxa
Silver Dagger
drewmaster
Silver Dagger
Loved Doom & Gloom but thought this was just average, filler material. The song worked better live but it's hardly a song I'd reach out to play if I had all the Stones' album in front of me.

Agreed, Silver Dagger. This is substandard, and it's kind of sad that (besides Doom and Gloom) this is all they could come up with after a 7-year hiatus. The main problem is that it seems so haphazard and unfinished. There is the germ of a great song here, but it was not realized. Instead, we get an awkward, half-baked melody with "na na na" and "I love I love I love" inserted in lieu of real lyrics. Still, those X-Pensive Wino backing vox are cool.

Drew

You can picture the scenario - the band have been on hold for 5 years. But Jagger quickly does his accounting and realises the boys need some new product to play live and raise interest in yet another hits album.

Jagger uses one of the songs he's saved for his next solo album but catches Keith on the hop who has to come up with something pretty quick. And One More Shot is the result. Maybe.....

I guess that it is a nice summary of how the actual events took place.

Since the new tracks were put under such a scrutiny last year, and now put on the rest, I do not go there. I just say something positive I find in them. Namely, contra to A BIGGER BANG material I like the "joyful" atmosphere the new tracks have (both of them). There is something fresh in their delivery that A BIGGER BANG lacks. I guess they had fun in the studio, and they spent so little time, and had so little to do, that they din't get bored, or didn't need to work their asses off.

- Doxa

Absolutely agree. PMS was the same, if for different reasons.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 25, 2013 22:17

...I like it...

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 25, 2013 22:24

jp.M
...I like it...

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: March 26, 2013 00:25

After all, It's only rock 'n' roll.... grinning smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 26, 2013 01:24

Even though I'm decidedly a fan of the Stones' post-reunification material, I have decided not to buy GRRR. It wasn't even tempting in the slightest because it was so clearly not aimed at me as its target audience. And I'm not a guy who would buy mp3s because of the compression so I missed out on the two new tracks so far.

Had they released an album's worth of songs (or maybe even just 4 of them) things would certainly be different, but buying a double disc set for just 2 songs was out of the question.

I'm sorry but I cannot properly comment on "One More Shot" just yet.

All I can say is that I pre-listened to a sample of it and it was the better of the two new songs.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 26, 2013 01:47

One More Shot is certainly uour Stones by the numbers typical rocker and is similiar to other songs in thei catalog I quite like it and don't get all of the bashing. i prefer it over Doom and Gloom though D&G is improving upon more listens, I like both songs and feel that if they can just toss two songs off that are pretty good that if they really worked at it they could come up with a good album.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: March 26, 2013 03:31

Everyone has their own opinion and no one is going to please everyone. With that in mind, I think what Keith wants to do is stay true to himself. So that means producing raw, unfinished songs of a very personal nature. And yes, many people like this song and many people don't. It just boggles my mind that people who like classic stones don't like this. This is heart, balls, raw guitars and some great vocals on the chorus. The chorus performance is the essence of the stones. It the dogma, the tougness, and the masculinity of Stones. It's not the ever changing Bowie type gayness. It's rooted, hobbyist and traditional. That's not to criticize "gayness," but this is good in it's own vain. It's in the tradition of Robest Johnson, Johnny Cash and yes, ACDC. It is not the tradition of David Bowie although there is some Lou Reed influence in Keith and I guess that is some what in the Bowie camp. Now you also have to realize some AC/DC songs have Stones sounds with little pieces of Gimmie Shelter occassionally.

Lastly, the "One More Shot" chorus riff can be found in the historical cannon of stones Riffs that spring from the Beatles "Twist and Shout." It starts with "Get Off My Cloud," the chorus riff in "Brown Sugar" the chorus on "Rough Justice and last emerges on "One More Shot."

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 26, 2013 04:08

Slimharpo
the "One More Shot" chorus riff can be found in the historical cannon of stones Riffs that spring from the Beatles "Twist and Shout." It starts with "Get Off My Cloud," the chorus riff in "Brown Sugar" the chorus on "Rough Justice and last emerges on "One More Shot."

All those Stones songs in one? It's a virtual GRRR! unto itself. Sounds good live anyway.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 26, 2013 05:59

billwebster
Had they released an album's worth of songs (or maybe even just 4 of them) things would certainly be different, but buying a double disc set for just 2 songs was out of the question.

I'm repeating myself, but if they'd put out a picture sleeve 45 RPM vinyl single of the new hit song and B-side from that fab pop combo "The Rolling Stones" I would have been happy to plunk down substantially more than 99 cents a track for it. As it is, @#$%& it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 26, 2013 06:18

The problem is that it lacks any originality or effort. It's a bigger throwaway than Sad, Sad, Sad, or some of the dreck on Dirty Work. One song, one decent song is all Keith had to come up with. I think it's time to admit that Keith's songwriting career ended sometimes in the 90s.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: March 27, 2013 02:43

So if he had a drum machine, and short rap by Jay Z, that would be called "orignial," but in reality it would really be trend following.

24FPS
The problem is that it lacks any originality or effort. It's a bigger throwaway than Sad, Sad, Sad, or some of the dreck on Dirty Work. One song, one decent song is all Keith had to come up with. I think it's time to admit that Keith's songwriting career ended sometimes in the 90s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-27 03:01 by Slimharpo.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 27, 2013 02:51

....wonderful lil groooove-rocker ... Mick wiv da Winos ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 27, 2013 05:45

Slimharpo
So if he had a drum machine, and short rap by Jay Z, that would be called "orignial," but in reality it would really be trend following.

24FPS

No, they tried that on Bridges to Babylon and it hasn't aged well. Is it too much to ask that Keith come up with something novel? Something that doesn't sound like he's just barely not playing Jumping Jack Flash? Why does his sound have to be limited? This is an artist who came up with many, many, different sounding riffs and melodies. Does he listen to nothing that inspires him? It doesn't have to be the same old, same old 5 string tuning. He's a great acoustic player. He used to funnel the influences he was hearing and weave something new.

The point is that every song he does now doesn't have to sound like a vaguely Stonesish song from 30-40 years ago. The experiences this guy has had. He can't draw from that? Okay, I understand if he's washed up. God knows he gave us enough in the past. But if you're going to bother to sell something as a new song by the Rolling Stones, either aim high or let Mick write them all now.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 27, 2013 06:20

I like it a lot. I liked Sad Sad Sad too.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 27, 2013 10:14

Sad sad sad is a very nice song, and it worked very well on concert.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 27, 2013 10:45

I like Sad Sad Sad and One More Shot too. Also I understand peoples discontent with it, copying the past instead of inventing something new. However, this will last longer for me than say Anybody Seen My Baby which was new and daring. Haven't played it since the late 90's but do like the video. I still play Sad Sad Sad on occasion, though I prefer Mixed Emotions.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 27, 2013 16:04

24FPS
Is it too much to ask that Keith come up with something novel? Something that doesn't sound like he's just barely not playing Jumping Jack Flash? Why does his sound have to be limited? This is an artist who came up with many, many, different sounding riffs and melodies. Does he listen to nothing that inspires him? It doesn't have to be the same old, same old 5 string tuning. He's a great acoustic player. He used to funnel the influences he was hearing and weave something new.

The point is that every song he does now doesn't have to sound like a vaguely Stonesish song from 30-40 years ago. The experiences this guy has had. He can't draw from that? Okay, I understand if he's washed up. God knows he gave us enough in the past. But if you're going to bother to sell something as a new song by the Rolling Stones, either aim high or let Mick write them all now.

Very well put. Agree 100%. And how ironic is it that Keith used to be in charge of the Stones' "quality control"? What the hell happened?

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-27 23:41 by drewmaster.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 27, 2013 16:22

slew
One More Shot is certainly uour Stones by the numbers typical rocker and is similiar to other songs in thei catalog I quite like it and don't get all of the bashing.

how much of it do you get?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 2, 2013 19:16

Sometimes when I hear Mick sing, "Make my day," I think of Jerry Hall saying on DAVID LETTERMAN "Mick Jagger is the thinking man's Clint Eastwood."

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 11, 2020 08:07

"Keith and I cut it, and it’s great. Again, that sounds weird. What I mean to say is we really had a great time doing it. Keith was looking for a new song to bring in (to the Stones), so he asked me if I minded if he brought it in, and I said, 'No'. So he brought it in and they liked it, and they ended up recording it. We gave them our version to listen to. We have a version, it’s done. It has a different flavor, an additional vocal, Meegan (Voss) singing this counterpoint thing. It’s a little different, Keith is playing all of the guitars and the bass"
- Steve Jordan, 2015

I always thought that OMS solo version was really interesting.
C'mon Keef...it's time to publish it!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 11, 2020 16:41

Not very catchy, not very interesting to me, sounds like rehash riff - maybe Gimme Shelter, or at least similar to other Keith solo tunes. Never been a big fan of this one.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2020 19:08

I've always wanted to hear the original Keith/Steve Jordan version which no doubt is probably superior to the official Stones version.
With the Stones, it's a bit too bombastic and Micks' over-exaggerated lame vocals sort of ruin it all. Sounded just as bad when played live imo.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 11, 2020 19:17

A good almost stereotyped Richards/Stones song. I still like it. Like "Trouble". Better than almost everything on their latest original albums.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: November 11, 2020 20:02

Boring song

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 11, 2020 22:14

Hairball
I've always wanted to hear the original Keith/Steve Jordan version which no doubt is probably superior to the official Stones version.
With the Stones, it's a bit too bombastic and Micks' over-exaggerated lame vocals sort of ruin it all. Sounded just as bad when played live imo.

thumbs up

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 12, 2020 00:00

A far less interesting re-tread of Take it So Hard. They are barely lifting in this one.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 12, 2020 00:09

I like the song well enough. I give Keith points for writing something pretty snappy and for Mick taking the bait and doing a good job. The low points are the intro--or lack of one--and that sappy 'bridge.' It's a lazy "fall into the groove" intro that Keith has overused by now.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home