Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
thank God Mick didn't turn into a fat old rock star..
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: March 23, 2013 01:52

... he is amazing!

Re: thank God Mick didn't turn into a fat old rock star..
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 23, 2013 01:58

acid washed jeans & Hawaiian shirts woulda also been hard ta take .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 23, 2013 02:09

You should try watching some old 4:3 videos on a new 16:9 widescreen.........they're funny, definitely a case of "Hey,Mick, who ate all the pies?"..................smoking smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 23, 2013 02:12

Thank God he didn't turn out to look like...Mike Love.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 23, 2013 04:01

... like Mick Taylor... ooops

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: March 23, 2013 04:04

Mick couldn't get fat if he tried.

Posted by: BingotheCabbie ()
Date: March 23, 2013 05:01

To bad fans are more concerned about appearences then the music.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 23, 2013 05:07

BingotheCabbie
To bad fans are more concerned about appearences then the music.

Too bad every time somebody starts a thread about anything other than music, somebody chimes in with that same comment. We talk about the music to death around here as well if you haven't noticed. I don't think anything about this thread is about appearances anyway, the title was sort of a joke, and seems to be more about how hard Mick works and how he's still entertaining at such an advanced age.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 23, 2013 07:15

commonly known as metabolism...plus some coke in the young days...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 23, 2013 13:11

He's anorectic. Not complaining just saying

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 23, 2013 13:28

his wallet is fat....and it doesn't even try to diet or anything

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: March 23, 2013 13:48

He is however a complete parody of his younger self, and has totally sold out his band's legacy for mega dollar. Wonder why the Stones are not taken seriously by younger fans or even accorded the respect their back catalogue receives? It's cos jagger has consistently pissed on their legacy in his rush for the cash.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 23, 2013 17:48

vertigojoe
He is however a complete parody of his younger self, and has totally sold out his band's legacy for mega dollar. Wonder why the Stones are not taken seriously by younger fans or even accorded the respect their back catalogue receives? It's cos jagger has consistently pissed on their legacy in his rush for the cash.

I love comments like that. To paraphrase the Stones, 'Writing things I used to do, they think are new'. This started some time in the mid to later 60s, the first time some journalist used the term 'parody of themselves', whether in relation to the group or to Mick alone. And yes, they sold out. That was their intent. To get as much cash as they possibly could. That was also the Beatles intent.

I can't think of a fifty-year-old rock group taken more seriously by younger fans than the Stones. That's why there are so many of them at their concerts. That's why Grrrr has sold so many copies. Not to old farts like me, but new converts looking to get familiar with the catalogue. In fact my interest in them as a live act (as currently constituted) is finally starting to wane. But young people, many of whom have never seen them, are going to be fully represented at those 18 shows coming up.

Date: March 23, 2013 17:51

24FPS
But young people, all of whom must have access to large wads of dough and many of whom have never seen them, are going to be fully represented at those 18 shows coming up.

correct

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 23, 2013 18:09

Mick would be much happier being a fat slob. All the fat women think that being slim is the way to happiness have problems.....big problems.....or maybe just way too big hips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-23 18:16 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 23, 2013 18:13

24FPS
vertigojoe

I love comments like that. To paraphrase the Stones, 'Writing things I used to do, they think are new'. This started some time in the mid to later 60s, the first time some journalist used the term 'parody of themselves', whether in relation to the group or to Mick alone. And yes, they sold out. That was their intent. To get as much cash as they possibly could. That was also the Beatles intent.

I can't think of a fifty-year-old rock group taken more seriously by younger fans than the Stones. That's why there are so many of them at their concerts. That's why Grrrr has sold so many copies. Not to old farts like me, but new converts looking to get familiar with the catalogue. In fact my interest in them as a live act (as currently constituted) is finally starting to wane. But young people, many of whom have never seen them, are going to be fully represented at those 18 shows coming up.

I remember the "parody of their former selves" line from as early as 1975, but are you really serious about young people having an interest in the Stones? It's hard to be a fan of something you can't see, and I can't see how very many 18 to 21 year-olds, who once made up the majority of the audience, are going to have $600 to blow on a ticket to see a bunch of guys who are old enough to be their grandfathers. Are their parents going to spend $2,400 so the whole family can go?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-23 18:24 by tatters.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 23, 2013 18:20

His metabolism is like that ,plus exercices & gymnastic.He is this kind of people who burns calories quicker than the average person .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 23, 2013 18:25

I don't think he have to do much to be in a shape he is, it just comes natural.....looks at his dad

Date: March 23, 2013 18:31

What's so bad about being a fat old rock star?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 23, 2013 18:35

tatters
What's so bad about being a fat old rock star?

He really should keep the hat...that hair is enough to raise the dead.

Date: March 23, 2013 18:36

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 23, 2013 18:44

tatters

Much better!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: March 23, 2013 18:48

Watts, Wood and Jagger know they owe it to their legacy and rock n roll to stay lean and mean. Right, Keith? [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-23 18:50 by Carnaby.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 23, 2013 20:35

People still turn out to see Van The [Expanded] Man

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 23, 2013 20:36

tatters
24FPS

I remember the "parody of their former selves" line from as early as 1975, but are you really serious about young people having an interest in the Stones? It's hard to be a fan of something you can't see, and I can't see how very many 18 to 21 year-olds, who once made up the majority of the audience, are going to have $600 to blow on a ticket to see a bunch of guys who are old enough to be their grandfathers. Are their parents going to spend $2,400 so the whole family can go?

I don't know how they get in, but they do. Maybe it is their rich ass parents footing the bill. I see plenty of families there. I've done it. I can't tell you how thrilled my fifteen-year-old was to see the Stones at Dodger Stadium in 2006. Although you haven't been able to see them recently, there was plenty of opportunity to watch them in the 2000s.

All you have to do is look around at young people. They have their own flash in the pan groups, and then they also incorporate the older ones. Plenty of Bowie and Led Zeppelin T-shirts out there. And if either one of those entities decides to tour, there will be tons of young people in the audience who have never had the opportunity to see these rock gods. Hendrix is incredibly popular among young people. And even the groups they listen to, like the Black Keys, or Jack White (who is much better than the Keys) are very retro groups.

Kids hear Stones music in their movies. Mick Jagger hosted SNL. They cultivate their youth audience and keep turning on new fans. No one else is left of that magnitude.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: March 23, 2013 22:18

Kids wear the tongue t-shirt.. Doesn't mean they've heard a note of music. You see em wearing Kiss and AC/DC shirts and its just a fashion thing.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 23, 2013 23:05

I am a wee bit overweight, due to a love of various cheeses.

However, Van Morrison has always been a tad dumpy: look how tight that maroon suit was on him in 1976 at The Last Waltz. He, subsequently, has gained weight, though his music has never grown flabby.

You sometimes think: what's better, the emaciated speed-freak 1966 Johnny Cash, or the bloated 1975-1977 era Elvis Presley ? Personally, neither hold much appeal, as both were wrecking themselves. The trouble with Elvis was that as he grew flabby, so did his music.

Date: March 23, 2013 23:09

tomcasagranda

However, Van Morrison has always been a tad dumpy: look how tight that maroon suit was on him in 1976 at The Last Waltz. He, subsequently, has gained weight, though his music has never grown flabby.

You sometimes think: what's better, the emaciated speed-freak 1966 Johnny Cash, or the bloated 1975-1977 era Elvis Presley ? Personally, neither hold much appeal, as both were wrecking themselves. The trouble with Elvis was that as he grew flabby, so did his music.

and so did his fans. I do like flabby music, though...goes well with various cheeses, too.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 23, 2013 23:26

GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda

and so did his fans. I do like flabby music, though...goes well with various cheeses, too.

thats gouda of you to say..

Date: March 23, 2013 23:30

duke richardson
GRNRBITW
tomcasagranda

thats gouda of you to say..

you were feta line, jack

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home