Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any thoughts on new Justin Timberlake album?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:32

Getting get reviews...have any of you heard it?...plan to buy?

Re: Any thoughts on new Justin Timberlake album?
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:36

Not sure if this is a thread created for the sole purpose of spreading hatred (never know on here)....but to answer your question, I'll give a few tracks a spin and if I dig it I may purchase it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:40

Yah forgot the OT in the title. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:43

Funniest thread title in years

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:45

no.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:46

Rolling Hansie
Funniest thread title in years

smileys with beer

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: March 22, 2013 01:48

I like Justin Timberlake. He's got skills. Good singer. Good dancer. His tunes are funky. He's always great on SNL.

But since he doesn't play a guitar then most Stones fans on here will dismiss him as an untalented hack. Whatever.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 22, 2013 02:11

GumbootCloggeroo
I like Justin Timberlake. He's got skills. Good singer. Good dancer. His tunes are funky. He's always great on SNL.

But since he doesn't play a guitar then most Stones fans on here will dismiss him as an untalented hack. Whatever.
Agreed. Its not my type of music, but for today's music scene, he's insanely talented. Watch him on recent SNL, or anywhere, he sings LIVE. Its sad how rare that he. He seems like the coolest guy, and I think that hating most of his music, but giving him credit that it seems pretty inventive. Having said all of that, I think his newest song Mirrors is outstanding. The only Timberlake song I've actually liked. I don't love the studio version, but the live version on SNL or Fallon from a week or two ago are excellent. Has touches of his typical music with a killer chorus. Liking that one song makes me think I'm actually "in" with current music for once!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 22, 2013 02:46

Rolling Freak, that's what I was looking for. A couple of twenty-year old kids I know who really have great musical taste for songs from Sixties on and are Stones fans raved to me about the Timberlake album. So before I rush out to buy it I wanted some feedback. Thanks!

Sorry, I left off the OT, His Majesty. I do so enjoy your corrections. May I humbly ask His Majesty's thoughts on Timberlake...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 22, 2013 02:47

GumbootCloggeroo

As if all this weren't enough, he even brought sexy back.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-22 04:35 by tatters.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:07

GumbootCloggeroo

As usual GC, you always manage to present views that stand in stark contrast to the vast majority of posters on IORR, and for that you are to be commended.

However, a more interesting question is, do The Stones and JT mix? If you could send JT back in a time machine to open for The Stones on their 1972 tour, how would that have gone over? Would Stones fans have dug him, or would they have wanted to bury him?

I listened to a YouTube clip of Mirrors, and based on that, if you could go back in a time machine to find a more suitable opening act from the early 70s for JT, I would say his material [I almost used the word "music"] might have been appreciated as an opening act for Tony Orlando and Dawn. It has that "bubblegum" quality pre-pubescents seem to enjoy.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:14

Tame Impala, Besnard Lakes... Thats where its at. Timberlake is fine if you want pop. However, this thread needs "OT" on it!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:35

I like Justin. He's clearly very talented, very successful, but remarkably funny and humble. He's also responsible for quite possibly the least pleasant Stones guest appearance in history (well, either him or the Chinese guy who didn't know the words to "Wild Horses").

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:40

My wife bought it and loves it so I had no choice but to give it a listen. Of the current crop of pop stars, I would say that JT is definitely the most talented. My gripes about the album would be that every song has that modern staccato vocal delivery and for me the falsetto gets old quick. I told my wife that I prefer the era of music where guys looked and dressed like chicks but sang like men.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 22, 2013 04:08

My thoughts would be I've heard alot of songs from the album, and to me it all sounds the same. The beats are all the same which leads to the songs all sounding the same. I like his voice, but the songs just don't reach out to me other than being alittle catchy. I like rock music, so its not unusual, and I understand how some of his most catchy songs are huge hits. Even if I don't like Sexy Back or Rock Your Body, I certainly know them and will admit that he knows how to produce a catchy tune.

And to me he just seems genuine, in a time when alot of pop stars don't. He hasn't made an album in 6 years 1) because he was focusing on acting, and 2) because he's said he hasn't had the proper material. He just strikes me different as current pop stars as he cares whats going out there to the public. And on top of that, he's a great dancer, performer, and singer. So is Lady Gaga, but Justin is less flaunty about it, which is why I appreciate him and think he's good, whereas Lady Gaga just annoys me.

Again, all said from a non-fan. If you are a fan of the Stones and not of today's current music, I would say you probably won't enjoy the album. Its not like its the second coming of music. It sounds like Justin Timberlake, and actually less catchy than most of his stuff. Its abundantly clear it doesn't have those huge singles his other albums had. Overall, I absolutely like the guy more than the music (he's funny, he's crazy, just seems like an overall really nice guy), but his music is something I think he puts alot of time into and truly cares about, not being a corporate act. Again, Mirrors is the only song thats hooked me, mainly the live performances because I think he shows alot of passion and great vocals in it. Also because it combines his typical beat with an unbelievably catchy chorus that is similar to an arena rock type anthem IMO.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 22, 2013 05:36

I see from Timberlake's most recent appearance on SNL he wants to do the Big Band fantasy thing like Billy Joel did in the 80s...

Date: March 22, 2013 10:23

The couple of tracks I've heard unwillingly, actually sound like good pop-soul.

A big surprise!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2013 10:58

Thoughts ... yep shaz .... get ya self a copy of this Rocksteady gem
and fall in love wiv every track....... and ya know i wouldn't lie to ya...

Pressure sounds PSCD74

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 22, 2013 11:10

His Majesty
Yah forgot the OT in the title. smiling smiley

yes, pls do

tks

Date: March 22, 2013 11:30

Good album. JT is alright in my book. I like this new incarnation of the image.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 22, 2013 11:51

I like him, but his albums are packed with filler material.
Fine singles, mediocre albums.
For now I won't buy the album as I don't even like the first single.

Yeah, JT on snl. With Beyoncé. Hilarious.

Date: March 22, 2013 12:01

The single is supposed to be the only "old Timberlake" left, according to reviewers.

The rest of the album is way different.

Hey! Am I defending Justin Timberlake here?? Time for lunch... grinning smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 17:12

I still play his first solo cd.

JT is good, his Memphis roots give that soulful edge lacking in a Robin Thicke or even Bruno Mars. These songs sound infinitely better live, especially the second, with that Hammond organ groove.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 22, 2013 17:37

stupidguy2
I still play his first solo cd.

A lot of those songs were presented to Michael Jackson. He wasn't very impressed and they were passed on to Justin.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: March 22, 2013 22:25

Crap! I don't even have to hear it! (and I won't!)

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 22, 2013 22:47

who,wtf, who is that

dont wanna know, waste of my time

jeroen

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 23, 2013 04:07

Yes, the CD does an excellent job as a drinks coaster.

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 23, 2013 04:34

Whereas most of the sixties and seventies male vocalist sought to emulate the great black bluesmen, todays male pop stars (Justin Timberlake,Adam Levine,Bruno Mars) use Michael Jackson as their model. They all sound like girly-men.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-23 04:39 by millerman60.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: March 23, 2013 04:39

When I read this question and clicked on it, I was expecting a humourous punchline eye rolling smiley

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 23, 2013 04:50

Wow - for being fans of one of the first lead singers to bend traditional color and gender lines, a lot of you guys are being pretty damn close-minded.

I like JT and I like Bruno Mars. They're talented guys putting out catchy music and making good show in the process. It may not be rock but who the @#$%& cares? Middle-aged Stones fans aren't his target market, anyway.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home