Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question for guitar players who switch between Keith's 5-string tuning and 6-string concert tuning
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:03

Did you learn how to read/play notated music in both tunings?

Re: Question for guitar players who switch between Keith's 5-string tuning and 6-string concert tuning
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 21, 2013 02:54

Nope - just by playing along to records/watching concert vids. Videos are especially helpful in learning where to capo (in both tunings but primarily 5-string open G). As for fretting/learning the riffs, that's just trial and error.

Re: Question for guitar players who switch between Keith's 5-string tuning and 6-string concert tuning
Date: March 21, 2013 09:49

No, but I learned how to read music when I played the piano earlier. I learned how to play guitar a different way, though, by listening to records and by discovering licks when trying out different things...

When I learned Open G, it's all about remembering that the three middle strings are tuned the same as in standard, as well as temembering that the remaining strings are tuned one note down.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 21, 2013 09:58

Title5Take1
Did you learn how to read/play notated music in both tunings?

There's no difference in the way the music is notated.

Mathijs

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 21, 2013 10:09

I use to play in standard tuning, and open G riffs can be easily played with the D-G-B strings

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: March 21, 2013 10:22

NO KEITHNACHO IT IS NOT EASY AND NOT GREAT SOUND

Date: March 21, 2013 10:45

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-21 12:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 21, 2013 11:32

Agree 50%; not great sound, but very easy to do

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: March 21, 2013 12:41

KeithNacho
I use to play in standard tuning, and open G riffs can be easily played with the D-G-B strings

No you can't, especially because you miss the root. As a result you'll lose the fingering options and the sound that open G offers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-21 12:44 by Rutger.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 13:03

Rutger
KeithNacho

No you can't, especially because you miss the root. As a result you'll lose the fingering options and the sound that open G offers.

Yeah, what you play won't sound "wrong" (as those notes are being played), but it's a shadow of what it would sound like in Open G. I used to be scared of alternate tunings and would play several Open G Stones songs in that manner. And while it didn't sound wrong, it was very thin without the root. There are ways to play several Open G songs in standard if you were inclined to do so, but it's just easier to play in Open G. You have to have pretty good finger span to hit the roots, but as Rutger pointed out, doing that costs you some fingering options. If you're spread out playing a chord like that in standard it's pretty much impossible (at least for my hands) to get those added chord shapes.

Date: March 21, 2013 13:39

Obviously is not the same sound, but it is an easy aproach

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 13:47

Yes, 5 -string tuning has a more vertical look though. grinning smiley

Date: March 21, 2013 13:59

Many tend to forget the nice minor chords you get with open G-tuning...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 21, 2013 14:21

DandelionPowderman

Very true.

And the droning "modal" effect is a big part of the sound.

The other thing about Keith's open G approach is that it makes the fingering very basic for most of the time... allowing the player to focus on the touch, timing and dynamics which are the secret of great "groove playing".

It's amazing how even the most basic and cliched of riffs can be given a whole new twist just by working around the beat or changing the emphasis of attack.
That's one of Keith's greatest strengths as a guitar player.

Date: March 21, 2013 14:25

Spud
DandelionPowderman

Very true.

The other thing about Keith's open G approach is that it makes the fingering very basic for most of the time... allowing the player to focus on the touch, timing and dynamics which are the secret of great "groove playing".

It's amazing how even the most basic and cliched of riffs can be given a whole new twist just by working around the beat or changing the emphasis of attack.
That's one of Keith's greatest strengths as a guitar player.

thumbs up

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: March 21, 2013 15:47

DandelionPowderman

How do you do play a minor chord with open G?

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Date: March 21, 2013 16:03

yorkey
DandelionPowderman

Check out Joni Mitchell if you want to dig a little deeper on this very subject.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 21, 2013 16:27

open tunings are compelling for people like me who have just learned some about them. not primarily a guitar player (I play bass mostly) but for a Stones fan if you play guitar, and you've been playing some of the Stones tunes in standard tuning...then you try the same tunes in open G, you go ...oh ...yeah..

except Midnight Rambler..better in standard, capo at 7th fret. lately however, I've had the best time playing a lot of my favorites in open G..Street Fighting Man..JJF...Sway...Brown Sugar ..ADTL..HTW...still can't play the solo on that one, not that I'm trying to learn it note for note, but it is a set piece..gotta get the essence..

its a lot of fun playing in open G.
keeps you interested in guitar.
i have found, however, that playing blues rhythm guitar as I was used to it in standard, is unsuited for open G

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: March 21, 2013 17:12

VT22
yorkey
DandelionPowderman

Check out Joni Mitchell if you want to dig a little deeper on this very subject.

Thanks for the song! Now how do I do play a minor chord with open G? grinning smiley

See I know to play a major chord, eg A major, it's simply putting your index along all the strings on the 2nd fret, or a variation of that.

One could do this for the minor:

D||-------||
B||--1----||
G||--2----||
D||--2----||
G||--2----||
D||-------||

But I can't imagine Keith doing something like that.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-21 17:14 by yorkey.

Date: March 21, 2013 17:24

yorkey
VT22
yorkey
DandelionPowderman

Thanks for the song! Now how do I do play a minor chord with open G? grinning smiley

See I know to play a major chord, eg A major, it's simply putting your index along all the strings on the 2nd fret, or a variation of that.

D||-------||
B||--1----||
G||--2----||
D||--2----||
G||--2----||
D||-------||

Sorry, I thought you were just joking. Joni's approach is a bit different on the song I posted, but I think Keith can handle the one you posted.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 21, 2013 19:09

yorkey
VT22
yorkey
DandelionPowderman

D||-------||
B||--1----||
G||--2----||
D||--2----||
G||--2----||
D||-------||

But that is what he does, some times. Barre with the middle finger over the (2)G (2)D (2)G strings, and index on the (1)B.

Other (mostly recently) times he fingers it like a normal A minor, but skipping and muting one string

D||-------||
B||--1----||
G||--X----||
D||--2----||
G||--2----||
D||-------||

The Bm in wild horses modern version has an open G string

D||-------||
B||--3----||
G||--0----||
D||--4----||
G||--4----||
D||-------||

Other times he plays it this way (before they make me run)

D||-------||
B||-------||
G||--4----||
D||--2----||
G||--2----||
D||-------||

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-21 19:09 by liddas.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 21, 2013 19:38

I find it hard to keep my chops on open G unless I play it every day or so... I really benefited learning Tumblin' Dice, there's some good internet lessons for it. I use a reissue 62 style strat, I chose it for it small frets so when I change capo positions it's less of a re-tune.

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: March 21, 2013 19:44

liddas
yorkey
VT22
yorkey
DandelionPowderman

D||-------||
B||--1----||
G||--2----||
D||--2----||
G||--2----||
D||-------||

But that is what he does, some times. Barre with the middle finger over the (2)G (2)D (2)G strings, and index on the (1)B.

Other (mostly recently) times he fingers it like a normal A minor, but skipping and muting one string

D||-------||
B||--1----||
G||--X----||
D||--2----||
G||--2----||
D||-------||

The Bm in wild horses modern version has an open G string

D||-------||
B||--3----||
G||--0----||
D||--4----||
G||--4----||
D||-------||

Other times he plays it this way (before they make me run)

D||-------||
B||-------||
G||--4----||
D||--2----||
G||--2----||
D||-------||

C

Bm can be played as a full chord as well. The bottom string (D) might be redundant, but it sounds great on an acoustic. I play this chord when I play an open G version of Moon is Up in the key of D instead of C. Great stuff.

D||--0----||
B||--3----||
G||--4----||
D||--4----||
G||--4----||

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 21, 2013 20:28

[www.google.nl]

Mathijs

Date: March 21, 2013 23:32

yorkey

Check out some of her songs. grinning smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 21, 2013 23:53

DandelionPowderman
No, but I learned how to read music when I played the piano earlier. I learned how to play guitar a different way, though, by listening to records and by discovering licks when trying out different things...

Exactly like me. Same story. How old were you when you got your first guitar?

Date: March 21, 2013 23:57

Spud
DandelionPowderman

Very true.

Spot on. And then when you return to the standard tuning you bring that sensitive touch. I think that's what he did on Monkey Man. That's Ry Cooder. And that sensitive style Keith brought to his Berry licks. Thats why Keith is the best modern Chuck Berry interpreter.

Date: March 22, 2013 00:00

Yorkey: Try your middle finger on the dark g-string on the second fret, your ring finger on the d-string on the second fret and your index finger on the b-string on the first fret. You are now playing a minor.

You can use that very same chord two frets up for the WH b minor chord.

Try the same chord more frets up for the e minor in BTMMR for instance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-22 00:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 22, 2013 00:01

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

Exactly like me. Same story. How old were you when you got your first guitar?

15 smiling smiley

Date: March 22, 2013 00:04

14! >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home