Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk (GRRR! Tracks): Doom And Gloom
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:13

Blue
Really tried to like this one, but just can't..not a very good melody IMHO, not lovin' the lyrics, really hate it when Mick tries to get political, anyway...don't feel it is his best vocal, just not hearing it...but on a more positive note, just adore One More Shot, VERY GOOD melody and vocals, don't understand why One More Shot was not a bigger hit than Doom and Gloom.

The chorus on One More Shot is extremely weak. It just doesn't go anywhere. To many of us who work in music, it sounds like a backwards You Shook Me All Night Long. However, the SOUND (mix) sounds much more Stones-ish. The beginning sounded like Take It So Hard, which is fun, so I was ready for it to take off. Loved the way it started. Then the mediocre lyrics kicked in and the lousy chorus, and the nail in the coffin... "Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah"

When the 'nah nah's kick in it sounds like the theme song to Friends. I still can't believe they agreed to put that out...

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 22, 2013 03:18

flacnvinyl
Blue
Really tried to like this one, but just can't..not a very good melody IMHO, not lovin' the lyrics, really hate it when Mick tries to get political, anyway...don't feel it is his best vocal, just not hearing it...but on a more positive note, just adore One More Shot, VERY GOOD melody and vocals, don't understand why One More Shot was not a bigger hit than Doom and Gloom.

The chorus on One More Shot is extremely weak. It just doesn't go anywhere. To many of us who work in music, it sounds like a backwards You Shook Me All Night Long. However, the SOUND (mix) sounds much more Stones-ish. The beginning sounded like Take It So Hard, which is fun, so I was ready for it to take off. Loved the way it started. Then the mediocre lyrics kicked in and the lousy chorus, and the nail in the coffin... "Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah"

When the 'nah nah's kick in it sounds like the theme song to Friends. I still can't believe they agreed to put that out...

I like it though! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-22 03:20 by Blue.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 14:22

This is the Rolling Stones wanting to sound like the Rolling Stones. Too artificial.

Date: March 22, 2013 14:26

Blue
flacnvinyl
Blue

Yeah, some songs - no matter how simple or full of clichees they are - have catchiness.

That is indeed the case with OMS, imo. It was a winner live in London, whereas D&G was a little tame on stage.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 22, 2013 16:45

DandelionPowderman
Blue
flacnvinyl
Blue

Yeah, some songs - no matter how simple or full of clichees they are - have catchiness.

That is indeed the case with OMS, imo. It was a winner live in London, whereas D&G was a little tame on stage.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 7, 2015 19:45

There's abit of this that sounds just like a section of Michael Jackson's Beat it.

2 mins 57 secs onwards for 15 seconds or so

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 8, 2015 04:46

LOVE IT!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2015 05:17

This tune might just be the best of the worst from the last several decades.
Or some might say - the worst of the best from the last several decades.

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: November 8, 2015 07:32

Hairball
This tune might just be the best of the worst from the last several decades.
Or some might say - the worst of the best from the last several decades.

So what you're really trying to say is, this is an average tune.

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2015 17:10

This was and is an excellent record, that like so many other great Rolling Stones songs don't make the journey onto the stage all that well.

One More Shot on the other hand, which sounded like a very derivative recording did work very onstage.

So what we need is a new Stones album that sounds very average, that they play on stage every night and we'll have an amazing show!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 8, 2015 18:12

Why did Mick rush this track live? I'll never understand that. Seems like his vision of having the Stones play that new song live as an ancient band was undermined by his rushing it.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 8, 2015 18:14

treaclefingers
This was and is an excellent record, that like so many other great Rolling Stones songs don't make the journey onto the stage all that well.

One More Shot on the other hand, which sounded like a very derivative recording did work very onstage.

So what we need is a new Stones album that sounds very average, that they play on stage every night and we'll have an amazing show!

it's stones by numbers. even mick is bored by it at this point, and the audience didn't react to it, which is why he rushed through it. mick is a mirror reflecting back what the audience feels about a tune.

Date: November 8, 2015 18:16

When this song came out I liked the radio edit - how is it even an edit, really, when it's more of an added-to remix in a sense aside from it having more at the end? - better than the "LP" version.

For a while now I can't really stand to listen to the radio edit and prefer the LP version.

What is with that? I think it's from listening to Don't Stop, Rough Justice and She Saw Me Coming that the LP version makes more sense.

Date: November 8, 2015 18:22

Turner68
treaclefingers

it's stones by numbers. even mick is bored by it at this point, and the audience didn't react to it, which is why he rushed through it. mick is a mirror reflecting back what the audience feels about a tune.

How sad then that even 'stones by numbers' is better than most of what is released these days.

But I disagree, Stones by numbers Don't Stop and High Wire. This is better.

Date: November 8, 2015 18:28

treaclefingers
Turner68
treaclefingers

How sad then that even 'stones by numbers' is better than most of what is released these days.

But I disagree, Stones by numbers Don't Stop and High Wire. This is better.

Don't Stop had, like, all this stuff going on in the bridge and, like, you know, Doom And Gloom doesn't even have a bridge so, you know, Don't Stop isn't SBN and everything like that.

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: November 8, 2015 18:33

flacvinyl
Doom & Gloom - both versions combined - link

I prefer the guitars in the real band version and the beat in the radio version. Wish they had come to a happy medium but I am glad to have both versions!

Wanted to hear this but -
page you are looking for is no longer here...did I miss it??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 18:35 by Turner.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 8, 2015 18:40

Turner
flacvinyl

I prefer the guitars in the real band version and the beat in the radio version. Wish they had come to a happy medium but I am glad to have both versions!

Hey Turner, I am Turner68.

Date: November 8, 2015 18:41

Turner68
Turner
flacvinyl

Hey Turner, I am Turner68.

Can you two take this lovefest off line?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 8, 2015 19:55

I love it and have listened to it regularly since it came out. One YouTube comment said something like, "It came on the radio and I wondered who it was and tracked the song down on YouTube and and saw it was the Stones and thought, `Oh, only a veteran band could pull this off.'" I loved reading that.

If I run across A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD on TV I'll tune in toward the end just to hear Doom and Gloom over the credits.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 8, 2015 22:01

Doom And Gloom is a great one, a modern-day-Stones-classic, I knew that from the very first seconds. Mick´s singing is impeccable on this one, his best vocals for a long while. The guitars, the drums, the mood of the song - everything is just perfect.

Date: November 8, 2015 22:06

HMS
Doom And Gloom is a great one, a modern-day-Stones-classic, I knew that from the very first seconds. Mick´s singing is impeccable on this one, his best vocals for a long while. The guitars, the drums, the mood of the song - everything is just perfect.

thumbs up

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: November 8, 2015 22:08

treaclefingers
HMS

thumbs up

smileys with beer

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 8, 2015 22:27

BreakingBlues
treaclefingers
HMS

thumbs up

smileys with beer

This

Date: November 9, 2015 00:22

When first released, someone here made a comment about D&G sounding like a leftover from ZZ-Tops mid'80s mtv era heyday - 'Legs' or 'Sharp Dressed Man' and that ilk.

Haven't been able to shake that comment from my head when I hear the tune, as there's alot of truth to it.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 9, 2015 01:05

Wild Slivovitz
BreakingBlues
treaclefingers
HMS

thumbs up

smileys with beer

This

+ 1 smileys with beer

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 4, 2017 17:28

flacnvinyl
I HATE the video but love love love the track. Both versions. The GRRR version with the full band has some BEAUTIFUL licks by Ronnie that do not make it into the radio version. Just for the heck of it here they are combined... Radio edit on the right...

Great thread.

I always like the Radio version better but didn't know there was that much difference.

The video version is different than those two? WOW!

The combined version is amazing at how well it worked. There obviously two very different versions of the song that I never realized how different until just listening to the combined version.

I get why each channel went silent at different times. It would be cool if the channel that stayed on was just duplicated in the other channel for listening pleasure (I know that it would defeat the purpose).

flacnvinyl, since you are great at putting songs together, how about putting a few Miss You's together? I tried it and the edits were too obvious not to mention the change in sound. Someday I'll revisit it. I'll try to combine Miss You #2 and the Rarities version since they are the same in many ways.

Date: February 4, 2017 17:39

Of the srews
Of the screwwwwwwwwsssss

Sitting in the dirt feeling kind of hurt
Feeling kind of hurt sitting in the dirt

Nice with the combination. [www.hatfieldmedia.com]

From the Doom & Gloom Question thread:

Irix
There were several versions of D&G ....

3m:58s Album-version on GRRR! [www.amazon.com]

4m:07s Single-version (Jeff Bhasker Mix) [www.amazon.com]

4m:58s Club-Remix (Benny Benassi Remix) [www.amazon.com]

4m:10s Official Video [www.youtube.com]

4m:08s Lyric Video [www.youtube.com]

Date: February 4, 2017 17:41

Such subtle differences at times with the lead vocal on the LP and single versions. Hilarious.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 4, 2017 23:49

flacnvinyl
Blue

yes the chorus is maybe weak but I like it very much...! it's a caricature of Rolling stones songs but it's good.....!

Date: February 5, 2017 01:58

GRRR...this is a poor song.
Pleased and relieved it was abruptly dropped from the recent setlists.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1154
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home