Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones live releases, etc
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 6, 2005 19:37

I wanted to reply to other posts, but was unable to... Anyway...

Firstly, about that Talking Heads album. I'd been waiting for that re-issue for years. It was a great double LP, excellent early live recordings from the band, and now it is an even better double cd, almost twice as long as the original. There are some nice early versions on there too (pre-studio).

Why the Stones have not taken that approach to re-issuing their live albums is beyond me. Laziness perhaps. I can't figure out why else they would pass up another chance to make $$$. Instead, we get re-packaging after re-packaging of the hits. Talk about boring.

(And unbelievably, someone made a post suggesting David Byrne was self-righteous/ private jet owning, blah, blah, blah.... I have never heard such a huge load of nonsense. David Byrne is nothing but a brilliant artist. I saw him riding his bike around town last fall in Portland, Maine before a show! He tours with his band, in a bus. They stayed at a reasonable hotel right next to the theater they played in. No display of wealth and greed involved...)

All I want to know is WHEN will we see Stones live material from the vaults?? One thing I can envision is that it will be a HUGE money-making campaign when (or if) it happens. STILL, if it is in the form of a cd/ DVD separate release/ box set type thing like Led Zeppelin did, or if there are a number of separate cd releases (like those brilliant Dylan live releases), I'll be happy. Just release the stuff already. Maybe after the next album and tour we'll see it happen. There is always hope.

Re: Stones live releases, etc
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 7, 2005 00:22

I doubt they'll do it while they're still a working band.

They just seem content to endlessly repackage the same old shite (repackages of repackages, I guess). Quite who this is aimed at beats me.

I doubt it'll be a huge money making venture a la Led Zeppelin. Zep are a far bigger band than the Stones commercially and until that recent live album they had only ever put out one live release before. The last two Stones live albums have been the worst selling records of their career, and their last one their most pointless release to date.

Thirty year old recordings of Stones' concerts might have a cult-ish appeal but to the general public - and even the majority of the people who go to their concerts - it doesnt matter a damn.

I dont think there'll be another major Stones tour after the next one and I personally doubt they'll be in existence as a band anyway in 5 years time, so I guess they'd have from then on to plunder their vaults.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: February 7, 2005 00:27

if the stones wait any longer with bringing out *old material* like outtakes and dvds from the 70-ies, no one will buy them, U2 atracks niew younger audiences, the last time the stones did that, in a bing way was in 1989. In 2003 you didn't see a lot of youngster, like a u2 concert nowadays

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 7, 2005 12:52

If you look at the sales of Live Licks this would be an indicator as to the viability of an archive release. Perhaps a good ad campaign would work but in my heart I know this would stiff.

What were the sales like on RnR Circus?

Posted by: Kingen ()
Date: February 7, 2005 20:01

Live licks was a complete joke, you know most fans want live material from the vaults and I cant see why Stones cant do simialiar numbers as Led Zeppelin specially with a sound enhanced release etc. I do not understand the point of waiting until they quit that makes no sense, but you have to wonder why one of the best live bands in the world can not make a decent live release.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 8, 2005 13:27

Fact is that I am 100% sure that if the Stones EVER decide to release some oldies, these will be done in a Led Zep fashion: i.e. heavily edited, remastered, cleaned etc. No doubt we would have a good product, but we would all start nagging because it is not the "real thing".

C

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 8, 2005 20:54

Go to the Talking Heads board please.

Posted by: Kingen ()
Date: February 8, 2005 20:57

But at least Zeppelin did a great job editing etc. Stones have way of ruining their live recordings that I can hardly look forward to official releases from the vaults.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home