Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Aging Fan Base
Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 6, 2005 10:56

The last few Stones concerts I saw in the Uk were a bit worrisome. Everywhere I looked were old people; surely I did not fit. Have you been guilty of looking at others your own age and thinking,"Surely I can't look that old?"

I was sitting in the waiting room for my first appointment with a new
dentist. I noticed her DDS diploma, which bore her full name.
Suddenly, I remembered a tall, leggy, raven-haired girl with the same name had been in my high school class some 30-odd years ago.
Upon seeing her, however, I quickly discarded any such thought. This
paunchy, gray-haired woman with the deeply lined face was way too old to
have been my classmate. After she examined my teeth, I asked her if she had attended Grover Cleveland High school.

"Yes. Yes, I did." she gleamed with pride.

"When did you graduate?" I asked.

She answered, "In 1961. Why do you ask?"

"You were in my class!" I exclaimed.

She looked at me closely. Then that ugly, old, wrinkled saggy assed bitch
asked, "What did you teach?"

Re: The Aging Fan Base
Posted by: mikey ()
Date: February 6, 2005 11:11

Brilliant!

However not all the fans are as old as us old pioneers, look at the, oh so carefully, selected shots of the Four Flicks audience and you can imagine Mick (in particular) vetting who gets into the final edit. Gone are all us paunchy old windbags, us old Gabby Hayes type pioneers and it's all fit young 18 year olds preferably female who make the final cut.

However the influence on the younger generation is genuine and to see the effect the Stones continue to exert check out the following web-site.

www.the-heaters.com

Posted by: animal ()
Date: February 6, 2005 11:18

brilliant story !
true ?
did she give you a discount on basis of your old time conectcion!
dentistes are expensive at my place anyway, good to know one,
although wrinkled and old, kahoosier !

reg
Dyri( the old timer ,53)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 6, 2005 11:42

Yes, Kahoosier, that's indeed a great story. I'd also like to know if it's true or just made up.

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: February 6, 2005 12:03

Gee Whillickins!

Ah'm fiftyy three too.

Still got meh teesh!

Jest about!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 6, 2005 15:35

Great story!

...and seeing some of the crowd at the Stones' Wembley Arena gigs, I know exactly what you mean!

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 6, 2005 18:12

Beauty is only skin deep.
Surprise! We all grow old
and hopefully have a lot
more going for us than
the merely superficial.

The age demograph of the
Stones here on the IORR
suggests they still have
a lot of appeal amongst
a younger audience.

Many of the old blues masters
play late into life and can
still teach the younger musicians
a thing or two. I'd be wary of
putting too much emphasis upon
youth and age issues in
determining what really
counts in life!

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: February 6, 2005 18:38

It's not the fan base I'm worried about. It's the band!

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: February 6, 2005 19:28

I`m one of those who feel just like Ron Wood, the new one. And I remember when I was young, the older fan could tell me that did`nt have the right to be a stonesfan because I were not there when Stones started. So I think it`s nice to see you at the concert because I feel my self so young. I think it`s great to see a rock n`roll band gather around 3 generations with one reason to be there. See it this way, as long as the stones play around the world and play for over two hours, you don`t need to feel old.

Born 1974

Date: February 6, 2005 20:08

I remember the Stones Toronto 1975 concert where there was a lady about 65-70 years old. She really didn't fit in with us 20 + year old rockers. Maybe she thought she was attanding a revival meeting at the Gardens or something.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 6, 2005 22:54

Fan polls show the "average" Stones fan to be about 35 years old, but this is nothing to be alarmed about. You're mixing older fans with the really young ones, many of whom are frequent posters. I'm 47, but I still consider myself a "late-arriving" Stones fan, since I really started following them "only" in '73. Perspective is everything. They already had a fascinating history by the time I started following them, and buying the albums became a historical journey. The Stones have been with me since my teen years, and as they have matured, so have I.

Mick & Keith are only 14 years older than me, but they have become surrogate "big brothers" over the years, and as we get older, the gap in maturity narrows. I've come to depend on them just being there, even though we don't always agree on the paths they've taken. The paths converged with "Four Flicks", though, because they are family men, and family plays a big role in all of their lives. I can still identify with them, because their fame and wealth doesn't give them reprieve from raising their children.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home