Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Status Quo at the Manchester Apollo, Wednesday 6th March 2013
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 7, 2013 20:22

Hello,

I vaguely recall seeing the modern-day Quo almost 20 years ago and the fact that that was the only time that I saw them tells you all you need to know about how I felt about that version of the band.
However, even a casual 'greatest hits merchant' like me knows that they were a bit more special back in their early 70's incarnation: that was when they were a four-piece with Alan Lancaster on bass and John Coghlan on drums, and had really found their sound.
Well, that version of the band (the 'Frantic Four') is back together for a limited run of shows and I was lucky to get a ticket to the first show of the reunited Quo: they last played together 30 years ago!

When the curtain goes up the band look stunned by the racket that is all for them! As is always the way, the band look smaller than you thought they would but they don't waste any time and launch into "Junior's Wailing": in fact, the first four songs have bassist Lancaster singing. The setlist is album tracks mainly- the kind of stuff that fans would choose.
The only apparent rustiness is from drummer John Coghlan who takes a little while too look at ease. I believe that the advances in stage gear over the last 30 years (in-ear monitors for example) haven't been absorbed easily. Fair enough...

As far as Parfitt and Rossi go, they are a bit of a surprise in that the former absolutely is relentless in providing the rythmn: he strums like a mofo at times which gives the ponytail-less Rossi leave to play some terrific lead stuff. Who knew?

It is obvious as the show goes on that Mr. Coghlan is feeling at home, with more 'deliberate' fills and the odd smile and laugh with his band-mates. Rossi had said that they had rehearsed for 5 weeks or so and had gotten rid of most of the @#$%&-ups but then they decided to put them all back in again because that's how they sounded way back when!

As it happens, the first mistake came after an intro and everyone turned to look at the drum-riser. However Rossi then realised, "Oh shit, the *drummer* is right...I hate it when that happens...trust me to make the first mistake, hah-hah!", and after a guffaw we are off and running again.

The 90 minutes-plus encore flew by and then it was the final bow and the Frantic Four shuffled off, leaving a baying and ecstatic audience. Job done!

1.Junior's Wailing
2.Backwater / Just Take Me
3.Is There a Better Way
4.In My Chair
5.Blue Eyed Lady
6.Little Lady / Most of the Time
7.April, Spring, Summer and Wednesdays
8.Railroad
9.Oh Baby
10.Forty-five Hundred Times / Rain
11.Big Fat Mama
12.Down Down
13.Roadhouse Blues

Encore:

14.Don't Waste My Time
15.Bye Bye Johnny

Cheers,

Simon.

ps sorry for the ridiculously large (and noisy) photos, but PhotobastardBucket has changed how it operates and left this Luddite well behind!

Re: O/T Status Quo at the Manchester Apollo, Wednesday 6th March 2013
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 7, 2013 20:32

Great!!

They made classics and had a unique sound of their own.

They were huge in the 70s.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: March 7, 2013 20:57

thanks for sharing ! i wanna see them one day .....one band left for me

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 7, 2013 21:21

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:30 by vudicus.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 7, 2013 21:27

SimonN..They didn't play "Rockin' all over the world"

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 7, 2013 21:28

Had the honor of opening for an iteration of the group during a tour back in 2007 or 2008. That Vox AC30 and Marshall cabinet combo is a great setup!

CBII

Date: March 7, 2013 23:04

Thanks for posting. The best set list ever! Unbelievable! Parfitt is one of the best rhythm players in the world, so no surprise. I've seen Quo 8 times, but never with the classic line up...

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: March 8, 2013 00:45

Saw 'em back when I was 13 in Oz-I remember John came on stage riding a push-bike.
Would LOVE to see the classic line-up again!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 8, 2013 00:52

The only thing I know Quo from is Live Aid and the Do They Know It's Christmas video. I don't think they were very big in North America in the 70's? Looking at the song list, I don't recognize a single song. Do they have a greatest hits CD?

Date: March 8, 2013 00:55

At this pace being 60 years or older will be a must in order to be allowed to play live.grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 8, 2013 01:56

DGA35
The only thing I know Quo from is Live Aid and the Do They Know It's Christmas video. I don't think they were very big in North America in the 70's? Looking at the song list, I don't recognize a single song. Do they have a greatest hits CD?

It's true, they've always been big in the UK, but not the U.S. They did have one song, though, a psychedelic rock tune from 1967 that got some radio play that you might recognize, Pictures of Matchstick Men. It was their first hit single (#7 UK, #8 Canada, #12 U.S.). The song has been covered numerous times, notably by Ozzie Osbourne in the 90s and most recently in 2006 by Kasabian.

When I look up to the skies
I see your eyes a funny kind of yellow
I rush home to bed I soak my head
I see your face underneath my pillow
I wake next morning tired still yawning
See your face come peaking through my window
Pictures of matchstick men and you
Mirages of matchstick men and you
All I ever see is them and you

Windows echo your reflection
When I look in their direction gone
When will this haunting stop
Your face it just wont leave me a-lone
Pictures of matchstick men and you
Mirages of matchstick men and you
All I ever see is them and you
You in the sky you with this guy you make men cry you lie
You in the sky you with this guy you make men cry you lie

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 8, 2013 02:06

Status Quo is one of the greatest live bands in the world. Saw them 3x live. And would also love to see a show in their orginal lineup, but unfortunatly they tour only in England.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-08 02:08 by Ladykiller.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 8, 2013 07:00

DGA35

DGA35..When I think of Status Quo the first song that comes to mind is "Rockin' all over the world".
Les Battersby from Coronation Street is a big fan of them both Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt made a cameo appearance on the programme in 2005.

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 8, 2013 07:39

Masters of the Boogie.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 8, 2013 13:36

It's good to avoid warhorses in the set list, RS shoul take it in to account

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 8, 2013 13:51

Great setlist and great pix Simon. They almost played all of Piledriver which is their best album. Got me thinking about going to the Hammy Odeon shows next week.

Date: March 8, 2013 14:06

Ladykiller
Status Quo is one of the greatest live bands in the world. Saw them 3x live. And would also love to see a show in their orginal lineup, but unfortunatly they tour only in England.

It's not the original line up, but the classic line up, from when they found their boogie sound.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 8, 2013 14:38

Hi Mike,

Put it this way, if I weaken any more then I'll be hunting for a ticket for their other Manchester show next Tuesday (I think)!
Recommended...they're only gonna get tighter as a band.

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: March 8, 2013 15:00

There are still tickets available for Wembley Arena on 17th March

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 8, 2013 15:33

I am so pleased that this tune is in the set. I really hope they play it when I see them in Hammersmith....

Date: March 8, 2013 16:10

From the rehearsals. There are four parts:

Date: March 8, 2013 17:12

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 8, 2013 19:29

Seeing them at Wembley next week. Really looking forward to it.

I saw them the first time round 35 yrs ago and they were brilliant then, hope they are now.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 15, 2013 16:29

Just got back from seeing them in Wolverhampton

It is no exageration to say it was one of the best gigs I've ever seen!!

Powerful, very loud rock n roll. Hardly any hits. They all played a blinder (although Alan looks very fragile)

You got a CD of the gig 10 mins after the finish for 320 and an original signed poster for £20!

Ive no idea what is going to happen to the Quo after this series of gigs cause I can't see a return to the lineup with Rhino in??

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 15, 2013 16:43

Ah, yeah, the Quo.
It was a guilty pleasure of seeing them in the Heineken Music Hall a couple of years
ago. Musically it's maybe not the most inventive band ever, but you can be sure to have
a great time with them on stage.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: March 15, 2013 16:47

ablett

Powerful, very loud rock n roll. Hardly any hits. They all played a blinder (although Alan looks very fragile)

You got a CD of the gig 10 mins after the finish for 320 and an original signed poster for £20!

Ive no idea what is going to happen to the Quo after this series of gigs cause I can't see a return to the lineup with Rhino in??

They have a huge tour with Rhino and the other guys after this stint of shows.

It really would have been something catching a show with the classic line up! I'm glad you had a great time.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 15, 2013 17:36

I would love to have seen them; had tickets booked for both Glasgow shows months ago, but when booking a trip to Japan had the wrong dates in my head for Quo, so return from Japan clashed with the dates and I had to sell the tix

I've seen the Quo many times, and it's true - they are one of the best live bands out there, no question. Parfitt and Rossi's guitars sound incredible still, guitars always to the forefront and they play even better today than ever

Sad to have missed this FF reunion, but I'm sure I'll see the Quo again

Lots of detractors, but a listen to their great albums from arguably 1970 -1976 will show they did make some excellent records (and still do, the last few were very good)

Posted by: Des ()
Date: March 15, 2013 17:48

I would be guessing but saw them in early seventies with J. Geils as backing band, great double show in Victoria, Canada.

Only show I ever went to where they ran the power cables out on to the arena floor through one of the zamboni entrances. During the break a shower of white hot arcing eletrical sparks shot straight up about 40 feet. Folks sitting on each side of the entrance were sent running from the shower as the rest of the croud froze not sure if there was a full blown fire. After a final bang the shower stoped and they announced a delay while they fixed the electrical problem. A little freeky standing shocked like that wondering if you will be trampled.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 15, 2013 18:47

First time i see Rick Parfitt with short hair...
I like Quo, good rockin' band!

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: March 15, 2013 20:48

ablett

I've seen hundreds of bands live since my first gig - Motörhead - in 1983. this includes Quo on their "farewell" tour almost 30 years ago. BUT....Last Saturday in Glasgow, the original Quo blew me off my feet. they were astounding. whoulda thunk it. Ps thanks Simon for your great photos- as always.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home