Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Let's Spend The Night Together - the song
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 5, 2005 14:30

This is a great song from the sixties but i notice the later live versions seem to have more in common with the David Bowie cover in terms of arrangement than the original sixties version.
Maybe the fact that it was a less typical Stones sounding single anyway (more pop) in a brief phase the Stones were going through is the reason the Stones have never tried to recreate the sound.
In the US its B side Ruby Tuesday was played more because of Let's Spend The Night Together's lyrical content and for that reason it will be forever associated with The Ed Sullivan Show where it became Let's Spend Some Time Together.
I don't think it's as effective as some when played in more recent years - i don't think Mick can deal with the higher notes.

Re: Let's Spend The Night Together - the song
Posted by: stillife ()
Date: February 5, 2005 16:32

I think it`s a great song, mainly the version played in the 81 tour. The intro with the guitar is great and so the way Jagger sang that song.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: February 5, 2005 17:05

Yes, it's a fantastic song. No, Mick can't hit the same notes anymore because his vocal range has changed as he's gotten older.

If Ed Sullivan were on television today, it's a sure bet Mick would not have to alter the lyrics for the censors. In today's world Let's Spend The Night Together is a tame song. It's funny how times and attitudes change. And I did see that show when I was younger, actually I saw the Beatles and the Stones when they first appeared on Ed Sullivan.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: February 5, 2005 20:19

Guitars are good in '81.....but it's the bass that really has a new lease of life on those versions. Nice showcase for Bill's style. (I think Keith played bass on the original).

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 5, 2005 21:16

One of my all-time favourites, and yes indeed, a superb mainstay of the 81/82 set-lists.

Knebworth version was a bit clumsy, mind.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: February 5, 2005 22:12

Not just on LSTNT, Deidre, it's on the whole tour that Bill's playing stands out!

The golden opening trio Under My Thumb, Whip, LSTNT still remains unsurpassed imo. Better include Take The A Train as well - so make that a quartet.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: February 5, 2005 22:57

You know, I think you are right. (Have not forgotten about recipe).

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: February 6, 2005 12:59

Scones, onion sauce, or shepherd's pie? Or all three of them? (not necessarily on the same plate).

A thread certainly worth to be kept ali.. erhh.. eaten!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: February 6, 2005 16:01

The Scottish one.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 6, 2005 18:30

I dunno, nothing on this particular
song ever really grabbed me. Kind of
a watered down white blues, soul,
funk groove to it, I'd say.
The lyrics were considered
saucey at the time contributing
to the Stones bad boys image, which
just goes to show how times change,
is pretty tame today. More of a
holding pattern single IMHO,
respectable if not spectacular,
or outstanding, unlike a lot of the
better stuff before or still
to come..................

Date: February 6, 2005 20:29

I would KILL for a steak/kidney pie w/chips right now!!!!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Gunnar ()
Date: February 7, 2005 12:31

Even though I appreciated it (especially the guitars) at the time, I don´t think the 81-82 version of Let´s Spend the Night Together had much of the charm and magic of the original. I reckon the original of 1965 as a well-crafted classic pop-song. Next time you listen to it, pay some attention to the following nice details:
- the intro: nice piano/backing-vocal
- Jagger´s young,nasal, sensual vocal ("Oh my, my, my")
- the bridge (Jagger´s sweet vocal, the nice backing-vocals)
- during the bridge; how brilliant Brian Jones´s organ and Jagger´s desperate vocal totally changes the mood of the song (yes, indeed this is a pop-song, but it is pop according to a band founded on blues, soul and rock and roll)

Gunnar

Date: February 7, 2005 14:20

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 7, 2005 16:39

An absolute killer version of this song is on the '78 Woodstck rehersals. Woody is fantastic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home