Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones playing London in August?
Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: February 4, 2005 19:35

Sounds very unlikely to me but virtualfestivals.com are saying the stones are playing in Hyde Park London on 28th August

www.virtual-festivals.com/festivals/festival.cfm?festivalid=162

Re: Stones playing London in August?
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: February 4, 2005 19:36

Rolling Stones - Hyde Park 2005
28 August at London Hyde Park

Back after 36 years!

Although still to be officially confirmed, VF has it on good authority that the greatest rock n' roll band in the world will be returning to Hyde Park for a massive outdoor show, as part of their 2005 world tour.

The band famously performed in front of their largest audience to date (500,000) last time they played in Hyde Park, back in 1969. It was free, though!
---
The message is classified as "strong rumour"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-04 19:38 by KeithRichards.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 4, 2005 20:07

No way!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 4, 2005 20:24

Never

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: February 4, 2005 20:51

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this were true. Maybe they'll play NY's Central Park and Red Rocks in Colorado(Blues Traveler has played there).

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 4, 2005 20:52

Would love it if they played Central Park. Red Rocks would be cool to see them at but I highly doubt they would play there.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 4, 2005 22:10

This is great news if it's true. It could be cool if the tour starts in Europe and instead of a small club gig they play Hyde Park instead. Awesome idea IMO.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: February 4, 2005 23:49

I don't beleive it!

Posted by: terry ()
Date: February 5, 2005 00:13

well ive always felt the next tour will be different and as rumours go yes i could see this hapening...looking at there career this would be a master stroke...if true this is great news i will be going back to hyde park to see my boys just @#$%& perfect,,, a perfect end in fact. why do a big 18 month tour just play a massive show in about a dozen countries....well i dont know about you lot but im off to get my tickets.i want this rumour to be true

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 5, 2005 00:17

I'm with you Terry, for some reason i could believe this, there are concerts in Hyde Park often, I'm not saying it will for sure happen but I don't discount it all together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-05 00:21 by Ket.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: February 5, 2005 00:21

Sounds very unlikley because you know the Stones will start there tour in the U.S. most likley in September just like they have the last several times.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 5, 2005 00:32

Hey,

Please allow me to introduce myself...

I have been a long time reader of this message board, and i've finally taken the plunge and signed up...

I am 27, a HUGE stones fan (obviously) and I live in South-West London.
But thats enough for now. So, greetings all you stones maniacs, its 10:25pm and i'm relaxing with a beer and feeling quite excited at the unlikely prospect of a stones gig in my hometown in 6 months time !!

The Hyde Park show sounds a bit unlikely, but I'm of a similar frame of mind as Terry. After a lot of mammoth tours since 1989, and the licks stadium/arena/club format, and them always starting the tour in North america, to do something completely different this time around seems very likely. After all, the boys have got to keep themselves interested by change and revue. I mean, what could they do after the licks tour, but do something totally different.
Lots of huge shows means a shorter tour as they are getting older, also general admission tickets which is great, and subsequently probably cheaper ticket prices.
What do you guys think????
Again, probably a stupid rumour, but the more i think about it, the more it makes sense - they suprise EVERYONE, the music industry, critics, fans etc by launching their next world tour with a huge gig/s in their hometown??!!

Date: February 5, 2005 00:42

yes mr jimmy your thoughts are the same as mine..they have to do something different and this could be it...its getting boring for them and us to rehearse in canada and drop into america to tour... been there done that.so thats why i like this rumour it makes sense.no long tour to get through just some massive shows...well if it aint true im phoning mick

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: February 5, 2005 03:10

In '69 they played Hyde Park then headed across the pond for the tour.

Maybe lightning does strike twice or maybe someone from their organization is actually reading these and other Stones message boards and listening.

They listened when we fans wanted CYHMK on the Licks tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 5, 2005 03:31

not really

Hyde park '69 was a one off and a separate show entirely and totally unconnected to the tour - which didnt follow for 4 months.

However, these people seem pretty confident it could happen. As the US tour is rumoured to be starting around Labor Day (early september 2005) this one -off date would actually tie in perfectly as a tour launch followed by the US tour a week later

thanks for posting the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-05 03:49 by Gazza.

Date: February 5, 2005 04:10

I think there were "only" 250,000 people at Hyde Park, not half a million.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: February 5, 2005 12:09

Certainly not 500,000. Not sure who had the job of counting though. Bill Wyman?

The PA at Knebworth '76 said that the 300,000 present for that event was the
largest crowd ever assembled in UK.
(Don't know if that's true).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-05 20:09 by Deidre.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 5, 2005 12:14

That was true.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: February 5, 2005 13:58

Wow, it would be great! Simon & Garfunkel played it last year so you never know. The sound should be an improvement on 1969 and probably the playing come to think of it.

There were rumours even at the time that the crowd numbered as many as 500,000 though there was no reliable method of counting from what I gather. The accepted figure seems to have settled on 250,000 but this isn't necessarily definitive. There seems to be the same guesswork involved with Altamont, figures again ranging from 250 to 600,000.

Date: February 5, 2005 14:35

i was at hyde park and knebworth...there were about 250,000 at hyde park... and kneworth i would say nearer 300,000.but no one seems to mention leeds roundhay park i attented in 82 that was a great show.there must of been 200,000 at roundhay park.mabe someone got some figures

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: February 5, 2005 15:03

It's having a date on the website that's making me think it could just possibly be true-normally when website make up this sort of thing they will be very vague with their information. And if as gazza says the tour is due to start in early september it does all fit in....if it is true I imagine they will have to announce it fairly soon.
The music message board (non stones) where I first read about the rumours spoke about the stones playing two shows in the UK around this time....I'll try to find it and post a link

Date: February 5, 2005 20:15

So, Terry, it was YOU going around with that notebook, tripping over everyone while tring to take a note of their names. you caused me to spill my ninth pint of bitter onto my only packet of Rizlas.

Your survey agrees well with Mr Wyman's, then. (It is clear now why stands perfectly still, gazing into the crowd with such a serious look of concentration).

Date: February 5, 2005 20:48

yes it was me deidre i was just a boy in 69 but it was a wonderful day..i had to stand on my car to get a view.the weather was hot and lots of weid people there.if it happens again i be back older but not wiser

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 5, 2005 23:40

The figure I've always read for Knebworth was 200,000 - easier to give a proper estimate for that one than Altamont or Hyde park '69 as they were paying customers.

Roundhay Park I've read on a Stones website some time ago was 125,000, although at the time of the concert I remember it being mentioned as about 85,000.

One thing about Hyde Park 2005 for everyone getting moist at the prospect. You cant buy booze in the Park!! It could be a long day!

Date: February 6, 2005 02:17

But there's always the Diana memorial thing.....and the Serpentine!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: February 6, 2005 06:21

the band will be performing in my backyard on super bowl sunday as part of my half-time bar-b-q- and beer festivities---you are all invited and please BYOB....mick will pass the hat and i get to keep half for my trouble....charlie said he will stay afterwards and help me clean up and stack the chairs----he's a hell of a nice guy and a pretty good drummer too.......

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2005 06:25

fucky man I'd love to come to one of your Barbies Lunar!!!...I reckon we'd get along well....or we'd end up in the friggin' well!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: February 6, 2005 06:59

parking will be a problem so rockman please take the bus to get here...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 6, 2005 07:01

Ya know there's only one problem with catchin' a bus........gettin' some bastard to throw it!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: February 6, 2005 07:39

HAR HAR HAR HAR belch

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home