Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Cherry Oh Baby
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2020 06:15

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 19, 2020 06:38

Rockman

So Keith is to blame for the bass?

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 19, 2020 07:36

I hear one guitar on the basic track from '74 which is Keith. Ronnie did his guitar overdub in late '75.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 19, 2020 11:20

You know how certain sounds disturb people? For example fingernails moving across a chalk board or even the sound of eraser making same trip. Yes, simple nuances can be challenging and Cherry Oh Baby fits the bill.

Date: March 19, 2020 13:02

I grew up poor in the outback where all
we had for writing was a stick in the sand …..

Erasing was easy but taking ya homework
to school the next day was such a dirty job …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 19, 2020 15:04

DandelionPowderman

In 2013-2014 Keith played reggae-licks on Emotional Rescue, but...

A good observation (and I like what Keith does there)! But then again, the way Mick delivers the last verse - the low half-spoken one - of "Emotional Rescue" is pure reggae, as he himself has stated.

It is a good example how the Stones use elements ('influences') from here and there to make their own delicous coctail.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-19 15:05 by Doxa.

Date: March 19, 2020 15:21

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

A good observation (and I like what Keith does there)! But then again, the way Mick delivers the last verse - the low half-spoken one - of "Emotional Rescue" is pure reggae, as he himself has stated.

It is a good example how the Stones use elements ('influences') from here and there to make their own delicous coctail.

- Doxa

Keith also does some of those licks on the newer UMT-versions, instead of playing the riff smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 19, 2020 15:35

When I heard the original, and listened to the similarities, which really made the differences stand out and gave some great insight as to how the Stones really did a, overall, a dedicated version of it, there's one thing that stinks about the Stones version:

Jagger's horrendous vocal track.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 20, 2020 05:26

When they played it live in Paris 1976 it was brilliant. An absolutely fantastic jam. Crank it up and let it fly. I think they played it at MSG in 1975.

Date: March 20, 2020 05:41

B cool if they did it again live ….
…. Dat groove makes me legs walk loose ….

ROCKMAN

Date: March 20, 2020 06:01

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 20, 2020 06:18

Rockman

Worst of the 8 songs on Black and Blue. I was really disappointed when the album came out that there were only 8 songs. Then I realized there wasn't a coherent theme. Over the years I've accepted that the songs are actually quite good. Except for this one.

Date: March 20, 2020 06:19

Strange ain't it ….
Its one me faves from Black & Blue …..

ROCKMAN

Date: March 20, 2020 09:39

Rockman
B cool if they did it again live ….
…. Dat groove makes me legs walk loose ….

I'd love to hear live with an extended solo.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 20, 2020 11:59

Rockman
Strange ain't it ….
Its one me faves from Black & Blue …..

Mine too. Right behind Hot Stuff and Hand Of Fate. But "behind" or "before"....that's a little to say - it's a neat little track in either case.

Date: March 20, 2020 12:13

For me "Cherry Oh Baby" is not one of their most memorable songs, and I usually think it as the weakest cut in BLACK AND BLUE, but I still see it as a justified experiment in their canon. Without it, the Stones catalogue would be an inch weaker. I mean, all those yougotmerockings and roughjustices and other 'by-the-number' cuts add nothing to their legacy or musical vocabulary, and I could live happily without hearing any of those (and having not lost anything), but that's not the case with "Cherry Oh Baby".

- Doxa

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 20, 2020 12:44

Doxa
For me "Cherry Oh Baby" is not one of their most memorable songs, and I usually think it as the weakest cut in BLACK AND BLUE, but [....]

Weak and weak.....it's a weak album in the first place. Terrific soundquality, but weak. Tracks like Hey Negrita and Hot Stuff were terrific in concert, with them guitar licks, but the studio album is a lowdown, at least compared to most of their 70s outputs.

But what I like about Cherry Oh Baby is that it doesn't "pretend to be" or making me annoyed, like Fool To Cry or Memory Motel ( "now give that cocaine, and I'll try to be romantic" ) or Crazy Mama ("let's pretend we're rocking").

Cherry Oh Baby is just......Cherry Oh Baby.

Black & Blue was a first parady of themselves, IMO, allthough we could see traces of it in the IORR album.

I still like Black & Blue. But nevermind me, I am stark raving mad.

Date: March 20, 2020 13:28

24FPS
Rockman

So Keith is to blame for the bass?

There are songs listed that are unfamiliar- hopefully they are posted on YouTube Very interesting, indeed..

Date: March 20, 2020 13:44

Ate some chilli … thought
of a lonely woman and another
who wore heavy slutty eye make-up ….
Watched a few seconds of a cartoon
rat belting in hot rivets …. went back ta
Black & Blue and realized Cherry Oh is me fave track on the album …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 20, 2020 14:24

DandelionPowderman
Just love this track. It's charming and has lots of feel.

The live version was brilliant! thumbs up

Billy Preston makes the difference ...

Date: March 20, 2020 15:04

Erik_Snow
Doxa
For me "Cherry Oh Baby" is not one of their most memorable songs, and I usually think it as the weakest cut in BLACK AND BLUE, but [....]

Weak and weak.....it's a weak album in the first place. Terrific soundquality, but weak. Tracks like Hey Negrita and Hot Stuff were terrific in concert, with them guitar licks, but the studio album is a lowdown, at least compared to most of their 70s outputs.

But what I like about Cherry Oh Baby is that it doesn't "pretend to be" or making me annoyed, like Fool To Cry or Memory Motel ( "now give that cocaine, and I'll try to be romantic" ) or Crazy Mama ("let's pretend we're rocking").

Cherry Oh Baby is just......Cherry Oh Baby.

Black & Blue was a first parady of themselves, IMO, allthough we could see traces of it in the IORR album.

I still like Black & Blue. But nevermind me, I am stark raving mad.

Agree with that parody aspect (and many else). But at the moment for me the whole 'mid-70's low period' from GOATS HEAD SOUP to BLACK AND BLUE is about my favourite era of the band. They sounded old and tired, lacking energy, they were out of focus, they were so damn spoiled, lazy and arrogant, they were getting more and more irrelevant, but shit, they were still going (eyed-closed) somewhere, all of that aging and directlesness and whatever that was happening around them was reflected in their music, they just couldn't fake us. We can hear the muse there, now matter how half-died she was. Father time has been very kind to that era. I think even more kinder to than hailed Pathe Marconi era. Despite the albums being uneven and incoherent, it amazes me when I pick up individual songs from that era how awesome they are. Just think of what caliber ballads Jagger was able to write at the time.... And then those poor man's garage versions of funk... a sober mind should hate the greasy "Hot Stuff", but I simply love it...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-20 15:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 20, 2020 16:52

I'm 61 and when I was about 12/13 all I listened to was reggae and I heard and bought Cherry when it came out so when B&B was released I couldn't get the Stones version. Like the Clash doing Police and Thieves they ruined Jah's work! Only kidding I've always liked the Stones version but not anywhere as near as much as the original.

If you like reggae check out ripe cherry by dennis alcapone

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 20, 2020 16:52

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Keith has also thrown in some reggae licks in Shattered...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 20, 2020 18:20

Maybe another thread(please no...lol), but how many covers eclipse a solid if not great original??

Date: March 20, 2020 19:12

GasLightStreet
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Keith has also thrown in some reggae licks in Shattered...

Yep. In fact, some of them are on the studio version, too, buried in the mix.

Date: March 20, 2020 19:16

When I hear the live in Paris 76 version I hear Ya Ya's. This track could have easily fit into that setlist. The heavy bass and guitar end sounds like 1969.

Date: March 20, 2020 20:03

The Sicilian
When I hear the live in Paris 76 version I hear Ya Ya's. This track could have easily fit into that setlist. The heavy bass and guitar end sounds like 1969.

Is there a live youtube version? from 76? by any chance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-20 20:04 by Chris Fountain.

Date: March 20, 2020 20:22

Yep …. just type it in chris ….

ROCKMAN

Date: March 20, 2020 20:24

Chris Fountain
The Sicilian

Is there a live youtube version? from 76? by any chance?

No video just audio. It's excellent. Crank it.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-20 20:29 by The Sicilian.

Date: March 20, 2020 20:27

Hey yeah braincapers…. Capone's version
will spin the white bread and watermelon boys …..

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home