Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T - Dave Alvin & The Guilty Ones
Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: March 1, 2013 18:28

Saw them last night in a small club in Vancouver - holds 300 people (a great new venue called Fanclub). The added bonus was support act Marshall Crenshaw who came back and joined Dave Alvin's band for the final set. For you guitar afficianados catch him if you can. What a fantastic night for only $22 a ticket. Thoroughly enjoyed it

Re: O/T - Dave Alvin & The Guilty Ones
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 1, 2013 18:52

major DA fan here. awesome band too. especially Lisa Pankratz on drums.

Dave is a great writer, singer and player. not to be missed!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 1, 2013 19:07

Dave Alvin usually rolls through Chicago a few times every year, and I try to catch him and the band over at Fitgeralds. Always entertaining and a fun night out.Highly recommended.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 1, 2013 19:17

He is playing here in Buffalo in June in a small club. I have never seen him, but I hear nothing but good things about him. Does anyone have any albums by him that they would recommend?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 1, 2013 19:28

Public Domain is a fantastic album by any artist.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 1, 2013 19:43

buffalo7478
He is playing here in Buffalo in June in a small club. I have never seen him, but I hear nothing but good things about him. Does anyone have any albums by him that they would recommend?

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 1, 2013 19:44

buffalo7478

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: March 1, 2013 20:26

Rollin' Stoner
buffalo7478

well, I've got almost all of them...and I can recommend them all!!!
Go and get them---you won't be disappointed!
CrazyMama

Posted by: coatsey ()
Date: March 1, 2013 22:31

'King of California' is a great album. I find his voice is far better suited to a sparse acoustic backing.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 1, 2013 23:09

great album and song

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 2, 2013 03:46

I've seen him just acoustic (with Chris Miller) and with the "Guilty Women" and "Guilty Ones". If he's playing electric he is also the LOUDEST I've seen next to Johnny Winter! He's one of the most nicest and down to earth guys you'll ever meet too. He was very kind to me( with his time and attention) the first time we met just a couple of weeks after I lost my brother. I cant say enough about what a helluva guitarist he is too..Check out this version of "Common Man" with the original Blasters. Its like ya have to blow the smoke of that stratocaster!

Hey,duke that IS a great cd too! My favorite on it is "Out Of Control". "Blue Blvd" is another ex. cd..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-02 03:50 by scottkeef.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: March 2, 2013 05:33

To Quote Duke Richardson "especially Lisa Pankratz on drums."

The drummer was incredible to watch, her determined concentration. Not to mention that the band played the great Marshall Crenshaw's set first, and then they played Dave Alvin's set. In a a small venue, watching the drummer watch every move of every musician, especially Dave Alvin, fantastic. Again, if he plays your town (or nearby) go and see him, this is worth every dollar for a live show. The guitar duelling was exceptional

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: March 2, 2013 10:46

Dave Alvin is the KING of CALIFORNIA. Great songwriter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home