Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Made In The Shade and Sucking In The 70s out on CD in March!!!!!
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 4, 2005 00:26

Gazza reports this on RocksOff.
-------------------------------
From the "Just when you thought they couldn't take the piss any further" department....

Not content with the worthless repackage of the last but one "Greatest Hits" from the post-1970 era, ("Jump Back"), Virgin/EMI are now going to treat us to a re-issue of the 1975 compilation "Made In The Shade" and the 1981 North American compilation "Sucking In The 70's" (which, I believe, was at least previously unavailable on CD)

The albums are being released in the UK on 21st March 2005, so presumably they'll be out in America the following day.

Both albums will be initially released as digipacks, reverting to standard jewel cases once original supplies have ran out

here's the blurb on these "essential" releases:

SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES

Something of a curio for Stones fans, Sucking In The Seventies was originally released in 1981 as an end of decade retrospective. The compilation features album cuts and rarities including the following three tracks that are unavailable elsewhere: Everything Is Turning To Gold – recorded late 1977 in Paris. The original b side to the Shattered single. When The Whip Comes Down performed live and If I Was A Dancer (Dance Part 2), co-written by Ronnie Wood, this was only released previously as a 12” promo, making this an essential album for Stones fans!

Cat #: CDVX2997

1 Shattered
2 Everything Is Turning To Gold
3 Hot Stuff
4 Time Waits For No One
5 Fool To Cry
6 Mannish Boy
7 When The Whip Comes Down (live version)
8 If I Was A Dancer (Dance part 2)
9 Crazy Mama
10 Beast Of Burden

MADE IN THE SHADE

Originally released in June 1975, Made in the Shade was a precursor to the Stones’ 1975 American tour. It covers the choice cuts from the bands first four albums of the Seventies – Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St., Goats Head Soup and It’s Only Rock n Roll. This has only been available briefly on CD in the mid Eighties and is long sought after by collectors. A great introduction to the Stones early 70's output.

Cat #: CDVX2998

1 Brown Sugar
2 Tumbling Dice
3 Happy
4 Dance Little Sister
5 Wild Horses
6 Angie
7 Bitch
8 It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll
9 Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
10 Rip This Joint
---------------------------------

OK, it kindda sucks right??? But I'm getting both anyway. I'm a completeist when it comes to official CDs.

JumpingKentFlash

Re: Made In The Shade and Sucking In The 70s out on CD in March!!!!!
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 4, 2005 00:35

I made an error in my post that you've pasted, Kent, in that I said "70's" wasnt previously available as a CD. Apparently, it was.

Date: February 4, 2005 00:39

Oh yeah. I have seen it at bootleg/rare CD markets before.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: February 4, 2005 01:00

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I made an error in my post that you've pasted,
> Kent, in that I said "70's" wasnt previously
> available as a CD. Apparently, it was.

Yes, it was indeed. I bought that cd in 1993, here in Napoli: that's one of the first stones records I got!

Date: February 4, 2005 01:04

Gazza: Will it be remastered???

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 4, 2005 01:26

No idea. I just got the info from an online music shop (www.101cd.com).

Funny that the first information on these new releases comes from a music shop mailshot instead of an official website, but I guess for a site that costs you only $100 a year, its a bit much to expect some up to date news!

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 4, 2005 01:35

Can "Rewind" be far behind?

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 4, 2005 06:00

Sucking in the Seventies was released for a short time
in Canada on Cd. I suppose it's trashy, a rip off,
but I've always liked it -single edits, and assorted
odds and sods. Hopefully I'll find it cheap coz I'd
hate to pay big bucks for it again.

Made in the Shade is still kicking around the used bins here
but there's no difference in the tracks that I can discern,
all are already out there, one could remake the album
themselves if so inclined. Personally I always thought
it was rather safe, uninspired..............

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: February 4, 2005 06:29

SITS was released as a side kick to TY I always thought - just to cash in on the fact that TY and the accompanying tour was selling thru the roof.
It's hardly a 'retrospective' of the 70s is it?

I bought it way back when - before I knew what a studio lp was as oppossed to a comp - re the Stones.

EITTG is as average a song as it comes, and "Dance II" is a poor cousin to the ER track.

"Whip" live is ok. Hardly worth buying the cd for however.

Flog...flog...flog.
And then sell tix @ $600 for the next tour.
What a money making machine this corporate giant is.

Man I can't wait for the new (and hopefully fresh) album.

Just hope there's not a @#$%& remix of "Feel on baby" and the 12 inch of "Back to zero" on a 'retrospectrive' Blowing In The 90s album to coincide with the forthcoming album and tour.

Off to take my lithium.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: MisterD ()
Date: February 4, 2005 06:41

I always like Sucking in the 70's. "Everything is turning to Gold", I don't believe is just an average song. It's quite a decent song. The live version of "When the Whip Comes Down" is also quite good. These are great recordings so I'm not complaining having them on CD finally. Does anyone remember the GIANT Stones LOGO that was attached to the vinyl version? It was a sticker on the outside of the plastic cover. Mine came off the plastic really easy so I stuck to the front of the record cover. It's still there after all these years.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: February 4, 2005 09:13

Great news from the vaults!
;-)

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: February 4, 2005 09:47

< made an error in my post that you've pasted, Kent, in that I said "70's" wasnt previously available as a CD. Apparently, it was>

I bought Sucking In The Seventies in a shop 2 years ago, so it can't be too hard to get

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 4, 2005 09:54

Hey Mr. D I did that with my album, too. I always do it with any CD that has a sticker on the outerwrap which can peel off.

The album was released in early 81 several months before Tattoo You came out. This was one of the first Stones CD's that I purchased in the mid 80's. I never realized it was one of the rarer Stones CD's out there until a couple years ago.

Date: February 4, 2005 11:36

monkey man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SITS was released as a side kick to TY I always
> thought - just to cash in on the fact that TY and
> the accompanying tour was selling thru the roof.
> It's hardly a 'retrospective' of the 70s is it?
> I have a drinking problem.....two hands and only
> one mouth......

SITS came out several months before TY and the announcement of a tour in '81

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 4, 2005 12:45

That was a great sticker!
Still got mine too! Hope they
reproduce it for the new cd version
might make it a bit more worthwhile
buying again. But holy smokes they
really are scrapping the bottom
of the barrel here eh?

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: February 4, 2005 17:36

Yeah, they are. Why on earth re-releasing an outdated album like Made in the shade? I can see why the issue SITS again, but it would be hilarious if it's gonna cost as much as a new album. Euro 10,- is max, IMO.

What else could be released again?

Rewind for sure. Maybe a new singles collection is coming our way with all tge singles and B-sides from 1971 untill the present day.

Anyhow, the vaults remain closed, $%$#%^!!!

Edward

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: February 4, 2005 20:35

Do they think we are mushrooms?

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 4, 2005 21:23

yes, they think and they know we are mushrooms. The Stones have never really cared all that much about thier fans. They are in it for them and for the money. The only way they will stop thisis if no one makes a purchase or if no one goes to their shows.One can't possibly think that Keith or Mick really worry if 30-60 year old people rush out to buy thier new disc. They also know that there are boobs like me who will go out and buy Sucking in the Seventies and some may pay full price.

If they cared about the fans, they would create more new music. They are old men who CAN still produce good music but they don't NEED to.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 5, 2005 23:52

Cafaro wrote:
"If they cared about the fans, they would create more new music."

Keith said, "We're the Greatest Band In The World, we have nothing to prove anymore, we play and do tours because we love it."

Deidre wrote:
"Do they think we are mushrooms?"

No, they think we're smokin' mushrooms. winking smiley Demon

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 6, 2005 00:06

The title of Sucking in the 70s said it all when it came out in '81 - it reeked of indifference (at least the Stones aint pretentious - issued the same time as the Who's rather precious "Face Dances" as I recall, about 8 months after Emotional Rescue) - with that cheap non cover non-art & since they left off their biggest post '75 hits it became the lowest charting RS album yet in the US, (until Rewind....), & the first to (not surprisingly) miss the top 10...I kinda like, but it was basically a waste album. I happen to LOVE Everything is Turning To Gold, but a thoughtful comp would have made a nicer home for that & the other non-lp trax...Made In the Shade sort of fits in with the 2 previous "Big Hits" comps, which are cool, but they (High Tide and Through the Past Darkly) had album debuts of classic singles, & MITS contained only big hits that were already on big selling albums - they could have stuck "Let It Rock" or "Thru the Lonely Nights" on there...god, what clutter. (Can you still get the bobbleheads?) Mainly it was issued to siphon off sales from Klein's "Metamorphosis" - I guess the cd re-issue might have something to do with the inexplicable success of "Jump Back" in the US - 22 weeks on the Billboard chart so far as of last week.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 6, 2005 01:17

The record label seems to struggle financially, so that they have to reissue compilation after compilation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home