Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones Exhibit Opening May 24 at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 27, 2013 14:03

CLEVELAND (February 27, 2013) - The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum presents Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction, an exclusive exhibition from the “World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band,” will open on Memorial Day weekend on Friday, May 24. Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction will be the Museum’s first ever major exhibition capturing the band’s legendary career spanning more than 50 years. It will include personal items and extraordinary collections that have never been seen before by the public. The exhibit will be open until March 2014.

“The Rolling Stones are the epitome of rock and roll,” said Greg Harris, president and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. “This first-ever exhibit gives us an opportunity to tell the story of one of the definitive rock and roll bands. The experience should be on every music fan’s destination list this summer.”

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum presents Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction will be a comprehensive retrospective exhibit that chronicles the band from the mid-1960s until today. The exhibit, which takes up two-and-a-half floors of the Museum, will celebrate the Rolling Stones’ incredible contribution to popular music from their earliest days playing small clubs, to their era-defining recordings such as “Gimme Shelter,” “Paint It Black,” “Jumping Jack Flash,” “Tumbling Dice,” “It’s Only Rock And Roll” and sold-out global tours. Through the use of artifacts, film, text and interactive technology, generations of music fans will have the opportunity to get up close and personal with rare items from nearly every aspect of the Stones’ astonishing five decades at the top.

Throughout the exhibition’s run, the Museum will host a range of free public programs that explore the significance and legacy of the Rolling Stones, including interviews, films, and special lectures. For more information please visit www.RockHall.com.

The Rolling Stones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.

[rockhall.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 10:25 by bv.

Re: RRHOF Rolling Stones Exhibit Opening May 24
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 27, 2013 18:02

bye bye johnny
"The exhibit, which takes up two-and-a-half floors of the Museum"

The Stones need their own permanent wing of the Hall of Fame. Just leave the exhibit up for good going forward.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 27, 2013 18:14

I agree....We really need a place that everyone can go and see why the
Rolling Stones are the Greatest Rock Band of all time.

Its easy to be a cute good looking band that sings love songs to be popular.
But sing STUPID GIRL and see what that gets you...haha...

Its only rock n roll .but i like it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 27, 2013 18:33

I can't believe I'm planning on going to Cleveland again. I was distressed at how paltry their permanent Stones exhibit is. This could be great.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 27, 2013 18:43

24FPS
I can't believe I'm planning on going to Cleveland again. I was distressed at how paltry their permanent Stones exhibit is. This could be great.

I totally agree.
It's about time.

How cool would it be to have the Stones play in Cleveland at some point during the run of the exhibit?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 27, 2013 18:54

Kurt
How cool would it be to have the Stones play in Cleveland at some point during the run of the exhibit?

Ummm... They should still have the exhibit.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 27, 2013 21:30

what Sir jagger should do is open there own stones museum and charge a modest entry fee and see all of the stones treasure instead of the rrhof

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: February 27, 2013 21:54

Would be great if the museum was close to the New York Metropolitan Area. Not worth traveling a thousand miles for.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: February 27, 2013 22:03

Rock Hall to launch massive 'Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction' on Memorial Day weekend

By Chuck Yarborough, The Plain Dealer
on February 27, 2013

The Rolling Stones are planning a tour to mark their 50th anniversary in the rock 'n' roll business, and the Rock Hall is planning a major exhibition to do the same.

"Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction" opens at the museum on Friday, May 24, the day that launches the Memorial Day weekend.

"It's been in the works for close to a year," said Greg Harris, the new president and CEO of the Rock Hall, in a telephone interview.

"The greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world is worthy of a showcase exhibit, and to be able to do it in their 50th year is great."

Well, TECHNICALLY, 2013 is the band's 51st year, having formed in London in 1962 with an original lineup that featured Mick Jagger on vocals and harmonica, Brian Jones on guitar, Ian Stewart on piano, Keith Richards on guitar, Bill Wyman on bass and Charlie Watts on drums.

Jones drowned in 1969 and Wyman retired in 1993. Stewart was dismissed from the band in 1963, but remained as road manager and occasional studio musician. He died in 1985.

Jagger, Watts and Richards are still with the band, which now includes guitarist Ronnie Wood.

The exhibit will take up the top two floors in the Rock Hall, in the space that previously held exhibits dedicated to "Women Who Rock" and Bruce Springsteen. It now features an exhibit paying homage to the Grateful Dead, which will close March 24.

The exhibit will include personal items from the Stones, as well as items from privately held collections, the Rock Hall said.

Harris said a curator from the museum was in London last week, hand-selecting items from the Stones' own storage spaces. A complete list isn't available now, but a partial accounting includes some of Richards' guitars, a drawing by Watts that was featured in a program sold on the Stones' 1966 U.S. tour and the band's 1963 publishing agreement.

A Richards jacket worn on the cover of the band's "Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)" album is already on the premises, and it had Harris excited. But he laughed when asked if tempted to try it on.

"When I first saw it, well, it's an artifact," Harris said. "When you hold it, like any great museum artifact, there's an energy there, there's a power there."

Most of the artifacts are on loan to the museum, and Harris said the Rock Hall is "working directly with the Stones, Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and their management."

After the exhibit's yearlong run in Cleveland, Harris said it's likely to go on the road.

Harris sees traveling exhibits as an outreach program, one that will play to bigger audiences and make the museum more relevant to a wider group. And they are a plug for the museum itself, he said.

"We think that when people see traveling exhibits, they don't say, 'I've seen it. I'm not going to go to Cleveland.'"

Rather it's an allurement to draw people to "the mother ship," Harris said.

Whether any of the Stones will actually be at the opening is still up in the air.

"It's too soon to predict any of that," Harris said. "All signs point to a big [Rolling Stones] tour, and we have no idea how the tour sequences with the exhibition. We're optimistic that at some point, they will come by to see the exhibition."

[www.cleveland.com]

Date: March 2, 2013 13:39

A few items from the upcoming exhibit are posted at www.rollingstones.com, including this 1970 letter to Santana.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: March 2, 2013 23:16

TheGreek
what Sir jagger should do is open there own stones museum and charge a modest entry fee and see all of the stones treasure instead of the rrhof

Haven't we all learned that The Stones and "modest entry fee" don't go together?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 2, 2013 23:24

I'll will go back to Cleveland to see the exhibit. 6 hour-drive, fourth time in the Hall, that's OK. The Hall isn't perfect but it's better than nothing. I know it's cool to $hit on it but I don't.
Rock and Roll,
mops

Date: May 11, 2013 01:14

Inside 'Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction'

Take a peek inside the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's new exhibit

The Rolling Stones command the spotlight in "Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction," a new exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum in Cleveland. Opening Memorial Day weekend (May 24th), the exhibition of previously unseen personal items and memorabilia will take up two-and-a-half floors of the museum. The museum is also launching an interactive, fan-driven exhibition on May 13th that encourages Stones devotees to upload photos of their band souvenirs on Twitter and Instagram with the hashtag #rockhallsatisfaction. A multimedia display will post the results.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: May 14, 2013 19:59

Get involved with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum's First Fan-Generated Interactive Exhibition!

Share your images of Rolling Stones memorabilia, concerts and more, and to be featured in the exhibit, opening May 24:
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum Presents Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction!

Use hashtag #rockhallsatisfaction!

[www.facebook.com]

Stones Infographic
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: May 17, 2013 21:26

From the Rock n' roll hall of fame :

[www.rockhall.com]

Re: Stones Infographic
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2013 21:29

Even they thought enough of Mocambo to mention it in a very encapsulated timeline...

Re: Stones Infographic
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 17, 2013 21:31

They must have a completely separate exhibit dedicated to Mick Taylor.

Re: Rolling Stones Exhibit Opening May 24 at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Posted by: stonesboston1975 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 14:35

with all the stuff that I have from when I first saw the stones,in 1975, I could open my own rolling stons rock hall,and ther would be a open bar. one love.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 21, 2013 17:16

I have plans to attend the June 14 show in Boston, and am scheduled to fly back through Chicago on June 16. Well, I guess I know what I'm doing on June 15 - Fleetwood Mac is playing Cleveland that night. Going to be a fun two days.

Date: May 22, 2013 17:11

'Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction': Inside the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum's big, new exhibit

By Emmet Smith, The Plain Dealer
on May 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM, updated May 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM

With the all of the artifacts and much of the tech installed, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum gave members of the media a guided tour of their new "Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction" exhibit Tuesday morning. The exhibit takes up the fifth and sixth floors of the building and features almost 200 pieces from the Stones' half-century run. It opens to the public Friday.

Highlights include a slew of Keith Richards guitars and Mick Jagger stage outfits as well as original album artwork and a series of interactive apps that aim to illustrate the Stones' early influences, the Jagger-Richards songwriting formula and the ways in which the band incorporated other genres into their sound.

"Rolling Stones: 50 Years of Satisfaction" is included with admission to the museum, beginning Friday.

[www.cleveland.com]

Previews:

Video - cleveland.com

Photos - [wncx.cbslocal.com]

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 17:17

Tbh I really think an exhibition like this should be here in the UK, they are an iconic British band but all they have here a really crappy glass case in the 02 music experience.

The stuff in Sticky Fingers is superb, however, it's only a small selection.

Date: May 22, 2013 17:21

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of Wyman memorabilia from what I saw in that preview clip.

Date: May 22, 2013 21:13

I got a chance to check this out last night and it's AWESOME.
The Rock Hall never really had a very good display for the Stones until now.

Here a few pics that I took last night.

This sign was at a cool headphone listening station!

Ian Stewart Travel Permit.

Telegram to Muddy Waters.

I also wrote a blog post on the Preview Party itself, if anyone cares to check it out you can:

Rolling Stones Rock Hall Preview

If you're close to Cleveland, definitely check it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 23:54 by Kurt.

Date: May 22, 2013 21:55

Kurt

Hey Kurt, was there much Wyman stuff there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 23:06 by bv.

Date: May 22, 2013 23:55

Rollin92
Kurt

Hey Kurt, was there much Wyman stuff there?

Great question...
A few really cool photos but I'm not sure what else, now that you ask.
Hmmmm...

Date: May 23, 2013 00:13

As evidenced in his recent book, Bill's got the memorabilia. Perhaps he opted not to lend anything to the RRHOF.

Date: May 23, 2013 17:04

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:14

bye bye johnny
As evidenced in his recent book, Bill's got the memorabilia. Perhaps he opted not to lend anything to the RRHOF.

Of course not! Little Willy always keeps it to himself . .

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:27

Looks good, @#$%&, one of their mellotrons, Brian's dulcimer! eye popping smiley

Rolling Stones exhibit at the R&RHOF
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 25, 2013 13:32

The exhibit has open yesterday. I hope lot of you get the chance to go, I know I will.
Rock and roll,
Mops
[youtu.be]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home