Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Earliest known vid or film clip of Stones?
Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 27, 2013 00:44

Wonder what it would be? Is it on youtube?

Re: Earliest known vid or film clip of Stones?
Date: February 27, 2013 00:50

We have the clip of Mick climbing rocks as a boy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 27, 2013 00:56

Any choirboy shots of Keith singing for the Queen?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 27, 2013 01:16

It's in the vaults. Big cash-in coming soon.

Date: February 27, 2013 01:21

How about the Stones as a band?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 27, 2013 01:26

What I can never get an answer to around here is the fabled Giorgio Gomelsky film. He shot film of Charlie as the drummer in Blues Incorporated. And at the RG Jones recording studio in Wimbledom he filmed the early Stones doing two songs. Not one article on Gomelsky, or one mention of this legendary film, has come up during the 50th hoopla. Now, get ready for the sound of crickets as this post goes unanswered....

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 27, 2013 01:32

There doesn't seem to anything available from before 1964. Beginning with 1964, when the hits started to flow, television appearances were done more often. Their first UK telvision performance was a mime of Come On from Thank Your Lucky Stars on 7 July 1963, but this footage seems not to have surfaced. Perhaps the BBC "wiped" the footage by taping over it, as reusing television film reels was commonplace in those days.

First TV appearance on Thank Your Lucky Stars miming Come On from season 3 episode 41 on 7 July 1963. They were paid £143.

British Pathe news reel from 1964 titled Gather Moss.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 27, 2013 02:40

stonehearted
There doesn't seem to anything available from before 1964. Beginning with 1964, when the hits started to flow, television appearances were done more often. Their first UK telvision performance was a mime of Come On from Thank Your Lucky Stars on 7 July 1963, but this footage seems not to have surfaced. Perhaps the BBC "wiped" the footage by taping over it, as reusing television film reels was commonplace in those days.

First TV appearance on Thank Your Lucky Stars miming Come On from season 3 episode 41 on 7 July 1963. They were paid £143.

British Pathe news reel from 1964 titled Gather Moss.

That was a great clip...I think I've seen bits of that Around and Around performance on 25x5 but never the whole thing. The audience is just wild.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 27, 2013 02:51

I think their appearance on The Arthur Haynes show performing I Wanna Be Your Man and You Better Move On is the earliest easily available on Youtube etc footage of The Rolling Stones.

Who knows what the stones or some collector has tucked away!?

Date: February 27, 2013 03:30

His Majesty
I think their appearance on The Arthur Haynes show performing I Wanna Be Your Man and You Better Move On is the earliest easily available on Youtube etc footage of The Rolling Stones.

Who knows what the stones or some collector has tucked away!?

From 7 February 1964, an actual live performance with amps out in full view.

Date: February 27, 2013 04:59

24FPS
What I can never get an answer to around here is the fabled Giorgio Gomelsky film. He shot film of Charlie as the drummer in Blues Incorporated. And at the RG Jones recording studio in Wimbledom he filmed the early Stones doing two songs. Not one article on Gomelsky, or one mention of this legendary film, has come up during the 50th hoopla. Now, get ready for the sound of crickets as this post goes unanswered....

More crickets.

Date: February 27, 2013 07:15

24FPS
24FPS

More crickets.

Here's Giorgio Gomelsky talking in 2009 about the Crawdaddy Club. He discusses that early film of The Stones beginning at 7:03. Apparently the "documentary" was originally intended as a 15-minute promo film about the Stones and the Crawdaddy. At 9:00, the interviewer asks what happened to the film....

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: February 27, 2013 11:48

Great clip!(Gomeisky interview) Cool guy although his claim to have invented the word crawdaddy is obvious bullshit. Maybe he DOES know where that footage is!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 27, 2013 15:26

somebody's waiting for the right price. either that or its been damaged or lost.

Date: February 27, 2013 17:24

stonehearted
24FPS
24FPS

More crickets.

Here's Giorgio Gomelsky talking in 2009 about the Crawdaddy Club. He discusses that early film of The Stones beginning at 7:03. Apparently the "documentary" was originally intended as a 15-minute promo film about the Stones and the Crawdaddy. At 9:00, the interviewer asks what happened to the film....

Well thank god, STONEHEARTED, that somebody posted a response. Hmmm. I'm going to have to take his word that it doesn't exist, because I'm sure he owns it and could have profited from it, especially at this time. That's really sad. Oh well, maybe it wouldn't be all that revelatory, although I remember practically leaping out of my seat when I first saw the Arthur Haynes video and there was friggin' Brian Jones whipping off that 'I Wanna Be Your Man' solo live.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 27, 2013 17:48

That clip of I Wanna Be Your Man is really exciting!
*sigh* Why wasn't I born at the time to witness it?
Thanks for posting it, stonehearted.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2013 19:00

Nice to see a clip where the cameraman seems to know his stuff for once - not just a perpetual tight focus on Mick, but general shots of the band, a closeup of the RIGHT guitarist for the solo (some TV cameramen don't seem to be able to tell Bill from Keith, or notice who is playing what), and shots of Charlie and of Bill and Brian doing the backup vocals. Though he did get Keith during the early part of You Better Move On when he hadn't got anything to do except wait for his bit to start...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 27, 2013 19:25

Interesting how Bill is movin and shaking his head much more on I wanne be your man video than in later times . .

Date: February 27, 2013 20:26

CousinC
Interesting how Bill is movin and shaking his head much more on I wanne be your man video than in later times . .

Brian was all over the place in '64. Watch the NME video. He's dancing, shaking, and singing. And of course Bill used to sing backup. Then, by '65, Brian is a shadow, barely coming forward on TV appearances. I wonder if he was dispirited by the Jagger/Richard songwriting team, or if Bill & Brian were both sat down by Oldham and told to be sidemen and leave the performance to Mick, and the backup singing to Keith. If that happened, I'm a little surprised they put up with it, since Mick always insisted there was no leader of the band. winking smiley

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 27, 2013 23:53

Brian was pretty visable in the 1965 clips for the most part. He did seem less into it to a point, but his playing on stage was still good. Come spring of 1966 to early 1967 and he takes a more central position again. We have very little performance styled footage mid 1967-mid 1968, but he seems fine in the JJF promos. It's all the stuff after the May 1968 bust where he comes off as unimportant or pushed badly to one side. Still seeing the Jones of 1964 is special because he obviously was having a lot of fun at that point.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 27, 2013 23:58

Rockman is keeping a discreet silence for the moment...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 28, 2013 12:27

.....I'm a shy guy ...

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1734
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home