Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rethinking IORR's purpose
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 23, 2013 18:43

Perhaps it's just me, but I feel more and more than what I liked about IORR originally was the camaraderie of true music fans who appreciated the Rolling Stones for what they could do on stage and on record.

It's ludicrous to see so many posts about the sex lives of the individual Stones or how much money they have. Human beings theoretically are expected to grow with time. I don't give a damn about any of the Stones sexual exploits thirty years ago. Or who has how much money...or the endless thoughts of people who weren't even alive when Brian Jones died.

All this tabloid fantasy pays little respect to what made the Stones great.

Hopefully, BV will update his vision of what the forum started out to be.

Re: Rethinking IORR's purpose
Posted by: GrumpyCat ()
Date: February 23, 2013 18:49

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 23, 2013 18:52

stonesrule
or the endless thoughts of people who weren't even alive when Brian Jones died.

New rule: No one under the age of 44 is allowed to do anymore thinking.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 23, 2013 18:55

Rose tinted glasses about IORR's past, but it's quite obvious and straight forward...

... insight in to their character provides insight in to their music and vice versa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 23, 2013 19:09

With respect...

It's quite silly to me that a journalist/writer gets uppity about people wanting to know stuff about their favourite musicians private lives. It is this very same thirst for knowledge that makes people go out and buy newspapers, magazines and books from which journalists/writers make a living.

Lets also not forget that the band themselves have and continue to make money from this very same thirst for knowledge about their private lives. The official Rolling Stones books, Bill and Keith's own auto-biographies have made them lots of money, people bought them because they want to know more than just what the music can offer.

Discussions about that stuff in a forum should of course be as respectful as possible.

smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-23 19:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 23, 2013 19:27

The rule #1 at IORR is :

"WE DON'T THINK"

Posted by: Masseolle51 ()
Date: February 23, 2013 19:47

smoking smileyWell, approaching the age of retirement I agree! LET IT BE!We have all had a lot of pleasure listening to the Stones music but now I do not really now. They are still mu number one group of all time but there is a lot of good new music around so please put your ears to the ground and listen!!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 23, 2013 22:24

Thinking's for losers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 23, 2013 22:26

GravityBoy
Thinking's for losers.

I think you're right

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 23, 2013 22:31

it has a purpose?

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 23, 2013 23:46

His Majesty
With respect...

It's quite silly to me that a journalist/writer gets uppity about people wanting to know stuff about their favourite musicians private lives. It is this very same thirst for knowledge that makes people go out and buy newspapers, magazines and books from which journalists/writers make a living.

Lets also not forget that the band themselves have and continue to make money from this very same thirst for knowledge about their private lives. The official Rolling Stones books, Bill and Keith's own auto-biographies have made them lots of money, people bought them because they want to know more than just what the music can offer.

Discussions about that stuff in a forum should of course be as respectful as possible.

smileys with beer

Well said, His Majesty!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 23, 2013 23:55

I wonder if it's ever occured to anyone here that good journalist and writers (let's take HBwriter as an example) deal with facts and like TRUE history as opposed to fantasy). Also, making "lots of money" is not what propels "real" writers.

Bill Wyman is another good example. He wished to express himself at various times in his life...Writing is not necessarily fun. I think he's a great historian; many here just want "dirt."

As I said in my thread, I'm interested in BV's take on the current forum. He may not care to comment.

So be it. To each his own.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 23, 2013 23:58

I propose this forum be adjusted during off-hours to discussing nothing but food and drink. I know the majority of folks here are in favor of the idea already. BV apparently hates food (and words)...but we could storm his castle and overthrow him if we plan properly.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 23, 2013 23:59

I just suggest............ follow what you like..................

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 24, 2013 00:01

GRNRBITW
I propose this forum be adjusted during off-hours to discussing nothing but food and drink. I know the majority of folks here are in favor of the idea already. BV apparently hates food (and words)...but we could storm his castle and overthrow him if we plan properly.
Would we be able to discuss individual Stones favorite foods and how much money they spend on it?

Date: February 24, 2013 00:04

Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
Would we be able to discuss individual Stones favorite foods and how much money they spend on it?

Once the castle is secured the hatches have been properly battened, we are free to do whatever we want. That's the beauty of the overthrow.

Date: February 24, 2013 00:06

Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW

Hey Max, are you really in Kansas City? Grrrreat ribs & barbeque!

Date: February 24, 2013 00:07

owlbynite
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW

Yes I am, and yes we do smileys with beer

Date: February 24, 2013 00:07

owlbynite
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW

Ask Max about the Chiefs and the Royals!

Date: February 24, 2013 00:11

GRNRBITW
owlbynite
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW

Yes we have professional sport teams here too, it is awesome. We havent won a championship for a while, but with the way MLB payrolls being so unlevel, and the crazy Cheifs owner not wanting to win the trophy with his name it it, I understand, it still is alot of fun. Most cities have no team at all. And now we have one of the best soccer/football stadiums in the world.

Date: February 24, 2013 00:13

Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
owlbynite
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW

Yes we have professional sport teams here too, it is awesome. We havent won a championship for a while, but with the way MLB payrolls being so unlevel, and the crazy Cheifs owner not wanting to win the trophy with his name it it, I understand, it still is alot of fun. Most cities have no team at all. And now we have one of the best soccer/football stadiums in the world.

Max puts on a brave face sometimes. Noble.

Date: February 24, 2013 00:14

This site can get a bit foolish during the lull times - when the Stones aren't touring. Still, Yet I'm surprised at just how active it is when they aren't in the news. I guess that's where the comments can become a bit fanciful, tiresome, and child-like. We need more hbwriters here. BY the way, Chris, I re-read your e-book this week - some very nice stuff in it. I look forward to a Part 2.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 00:15

Just because I have a working penis and a full head of hair doesn't mean I'm not a "true music fan". And how is discounting people's opinions because they're not old enough to have been alive when Brian died "camaraderie"? Or relevant in any way? That's dumber than some of the posts you're griping about. If somebody loves their music and knows their shit, it shouldn't matter how old they are. I guess when you were young and listening to the Stones you didn't know shit either. I wonder what 17 year old stonesrule would think about grouchy old "get off my damn lawn" stonerule. He'd probably launch double middle fingers at you and sing the opening line of "Mother's Little Helper".

Date: February 24, 2013 00:18

GRNRBITW
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
owlbynite
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW

I worked in pro sports in Chicago & know your neck of the woods.

Date: February 24, 2013 00:18

owlbynite
GRNRBITW
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
owlbynite
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW

Right on man, Chicago is good town too.

Date: February 24, 2013 00:20

btw- can we rethink IORR's Porpoises while we are at it?

Date: February 24, 2013 00:20

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 00:21

Max'sKansasCity

That porpoise wasn't alive when Brian died, no admittance.

Date: February 24, 2013 00:24

NoCode0680
Max'sKansasCity

That porpoise wasn't alive when Brian died, no admittance.

uhm, that porpoise is a good 50-60 years old, they live to be 150-200 years old, at least on their home planet.

Date: February 24, 2013 00:28

Max'sKansasCity
owlbynite
GRNRBITW
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW
owlbynite
Max'sKansasCity
GRNRBITW

Right on man, Chicago is good town too.

yes but winter weather killer. took my 1st opportunity to move to west coast.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home