Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: R.I.P. Magic Slim
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 21, 2013 05:44

Magic Slim has died yesterday. There's only a note about it on wikipedia, sadly:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Re: OT: R.I.P. Magic Slim
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:47

More sad news. RIP Magic Slim.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: February 21, 2013 14:01

RIP Magic

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 21, 2013 14:35

please check this site ;video: [www.magicslimblues.com]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 21, 2013 16:52

Too bad...

The Black Tornado finally found that Spider In His Stew

a great bluesman

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: February 21, 2013 16:52

His home away from home, the Zoo Bar. RIP Magic Slim.

[journalstar.com]

Date: February 21, 2013 17:41

False alarm!

At least according to a british music promoter I had contact with:

"Very glad to hear that the legendary blues man MAGIC SLIM is still with us, although his condition is grim. There were false reports of his passing in some USA media sources.

Please spare a thought and good wishes for this great man!"

Date: February 21, 2013 17:44

You can't kill a tornado!!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 21, 2013 18:07

Slim was/is absolutely my favorite blues artist. Something about him touched me from the first time I saw him in Chicago in the early 90's. Glad I've been able to pick up most of his albums over the years to keep my memories of him alive & well. I remember a review on the back of one that said something to the effect of "If there's a blues jam going on in heaven, odds are they're listening to Slim's records to try and get the correct feel." Today the jam in heaven is a bit better with Slim himself sitting in and showing the other angels how he does it.

May God rest your soul Slim, aka Morris Holt. I'm so grateful you became a part of my life. I'll miss you, my friend.

Peace,
Mr DJA

JUST SAW THE UPDATE AFTER I POSTED!!! I'm still going to play my Slim discs for the rest of the day but now in support of his recovery! Hang in there Slim! We're all rooting for your recovery!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-21 18:11 by mr_dja.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: February 21, 2013 19:30

mr_dja
Slim was/is absolutely my favorite blues artist. Something about him touched me from the first time I saw him in Chicago in the early 90's. Glad I've been able to pick up most of his albums over the years to keep my memories of him alive & well. I remember a review on the back of one that said something to the effect of "If there's a blues jam going on in heaven, odds are they're listening to Slim's records to try and get the correct feel." Today the jam in heaven is a bit better with Slim himself sitting in and showing the other angels how he does it.

May God rest your soul Slim, aka Morris Holt. I'm so grateful you became a part of my life. I'll miss you, my friend.

Peace,
Mr DJA

JUST SAW THE UPDATE AFTER I POSTED!!! I'm still going to play my Slim discs for the rest of the day but now in support of his recovery! Hang in there Slim! We're all rooting for your recovery!

Peace,
Mr DJA

KALAMAZOO, MI -- Management for longtime Chicago bluesman Morris "Magic Slim" Holt has said the musician was recently taken off life support, but has not died, as reported earlier by a Nebraska newspaper.
Magic Slim and his band the Teardrops were scheduled to perform at the Kalamazoo State Theatre on March 1 as part of the WRKR-FM/Budweiser Blues Series.

The 75-year-old musician was on tour in late January when he became ill with breathing problems and was hospitalized in Phoenixville, Pa., and transferred later to Philadelphia, according to the Lincoln Star Journal, of Nebraska, where he lived for more than two decades. The paper reported he died Wednesday after speaking with a relative of the musician.

However, Linda Cunningham, a public relations official with Marty Salzman Management, Magic Slim's management, posted this comment on the article:

Update on Magic Slim per Marty Salzman - Magic Slim's Manager

The fact of the matter is that as of this moment, 8:00 am Thursday morning, Magic Slim has NOT passed away yet. He has been disconnected from life support but is not deceased as previously reported. He is not expected to recover and all we can do is pray for him and rejoice in his life. Thank you for caring.

Linda Cunningham

Public Relations - Magic Slim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-21 19:35 by andrewt.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 21, 2013 21:32

Thanks for the update andrewt. Just sorry it's not better news. I'll hope that he is at peace and continue to "pray for him and rejoice in his life".

This hurts...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 21, 2013 22:15

Good grief. I spent yesterday preparing advertising for a venue here in Michigan that has a blues series. I read about Magic Slim here this morning but it it didn't click until the client called to let me know they had to replace 'Slim and I was to change the materials accordingly.

Date: February 21, 2013 23:07

Again?

What an informational roller coaster...
75's a good run I suppose

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: February 24, 2013 02:49

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: February 24, 2013 11:12

It is with great sorrow that I inform you that Magic Slim, a.k.a. Morris Holt of Grenada, Mississippi passed away Thursday, February 21, 2013. He will be missed by his family, friends and blues fans all over the world. Funeral arrangements and a Memorial Service will be announced later this week. The family wishes to thank everyone for their kind words and prayers.

Marty Salzman - Manager Magic Slim

Linda Cunningham - Public Releations Magic Slim

Mike Blakemore - Tour Manager Magic Slim

[www.magicslimblues.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home