Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones are on the spot on this album.....From Ian
Posted by: Ian Billen ()
Date: February 2, 2005 11:05

The Stones are now at work I suppose. I am excited of knowing this. They know they are on the spot with this one. Everyone, including me is awaiting their first studio album in eight years. The Forty Licks tracks were all in all met with Luke-warm reviews. Bridges to Babylon, their last studio effort, although most agreed was a good album, did not recieve as good as reviews as Voodoo Lounge. Some were dissappointed with the album, some thought it was great, and many, like myself, simply thought it was a good album. Many were dissappointed in the production techniques used. With that said, they know they have to deliver an exceptional album this time. Something that hushes the nay-sayers. They have been working this thing up for three years now. I am sure they have loads of material. Because of this they probably have more material going for this one than any album of the last past 25 years. Don Was says they are working harder than he has ever seen and Mick and Keith are collaborating more on the songs for this album than they have probably since the late sixties.
He also states the material they have been producing is substantially different than the Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon, and Stripped sessions and is considerably different from any of his works with them thus far.

What do you think?

Ian

Re: Stones are on the spot on this album.....From Ian
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 2, 2005 16:08

hi,
thats what makes the rolling stones so great.. jagger didn't want another v.l. album. and bridges showed that the stones could do more! yes many of us want the stones to do the same, exile, lib and s.fingers.. but for me that gets to be a little boring.. i have been a big fan since 1972 and now looking back many of their albums that i didn't care for when i was young. exile, ghs, black & b.
tattoo you.. i liked them or i should say i loved a few songs on each album..now i love the entire album... they gave us so much to hear.. and you get a different feel each time you play it.. mick said as well, they never like the new stuff until a few years.. i think in many ways the stones have been far ahead of their time...i do think the new album will be a more rolling stones type album... a cross between, lib and iorr!

Posted by: roby ()
Date: February 2, 2005 17:59

I hope so, it can be worst than B2B...

Posted by: phillies1222 ()
Date: February 2, 2005 18:18

I don't think they're on the spot for this album, they proved a long time ago that they're the greatest band of all time, and now they're just adding to their legacy. As much as I hope for a great album, and I'm sure it will be good. No matter what nothing can change what they have done in the past.

Raise your glass to the good and the evil, Let's drink to the salt of the earth.

Posted by: jss ()
Date: February 2, 2005 22:13

i wouldn't say that the stones are on the spot with this album...as someone has pointed out their legacy and body of music speaks for itself...i think that the
stones want to believe that their music still may have something to say...mick is often made fun of because he tries to bring a freshness to the stones sound and often keith seems to rebuke these efforts, refering to them as trends...but it was trends that pulled the stones from the brink of collaspe, i.e. the punky and discoish feel of some girls...stones albums are usually a great hodge podge of musical ideas...motown, reggae, continental drift, the moon is up, and juiced...these are all songs put together by musicians who have a worldly grasp of the sounds out there...sure keith would like to perhaps sing country and western songs and mick may hint at whatever is happening out there now...keith dueted with norah jones...sure timberlake was a joke but it pointed out that mick still was aware of who was what...
i look forward to the new album, regardless of the song styles...that is what makes the rolling stones so great...i can't think of any other band out there that is willing to put such a mixing pot of music together and let us hear it...
this new album won't break any new ground for the band... but it will be at least interesting...

Posted by: terry ()
Date: February 2, 2005 23:40

i dont think there under pressure im sure its gonna be good album it might even be brill you never know with these guys...anyhow they done there best work when things are going awol.look at the late sixties and early seventys.from 68 to 73 reording wise the stones were untouchable....im looking forward for just one more time to go to a record store pick up the new album and and get to the car to play..just one more time.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 3, 2005 02:36

i say hard work doesn't necessarily translate to quality product. frankly, sometimes it works counter. i hope they try to just let it flow - and if it don't flow, it don't. one cannot control the muse.

Posted by: Ian Billen ()
Date: February 3, 2005 08:24

Almost every great album made within the past 15 years required hard work. Letting it flow is only one half of the equation.

Look at Dirty Work, Emotional Resque, and Black and Blue

Mediocre albums because they we're not all there as a unit working on these albums.
Some are simply out-takes from other albums for the most part.

Now take : Exile, Beggars, Voodoo Lounge...all we're worked on very hard (or diligently) and look at the results.

You are right, you can work as hard as you want but if it aint there it won't produce great results really no matter what you do.

This was never so much an issue with them. When Mick and Keith write together that is when they do OK. In Keith words, "when we are not working together is when we really don't get along" so they can, and will write good songs....but again they need to stay dedicated to it for it to really work.

And I really do think that they are on the spot studio wise this album. If this album gets anything of a less than good rating the whole world will say The Stones have lost their touch studio wise and they simply cannot produce great work anymore. Many are saying it already.

Ian

Posted by: jss ()
Date: February 3, 2005 12:33

i don't think that people believe that the stones cannot produce good work, i thought that bridges was a great album...people will call this new album mediocre(sp?) no matter. i believe that the public just doesn't have the interest in the group that it once held...if you were a teenage girl or boy would you want to look at some ashlee, justin, linsay combination...or the sixty yr old, what is he trying to say to me wrinkled faces of the rolling stones...i agree with terry, i hope that they put out one more album that will be good to listen to with beer and bbq, in the car, or just hanging around...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home