Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Please someone lay to rest the myth of the 1978 tour
Date: February 4, 2005 15:27

[www.ilovemickjagger.net].

"Out On Bail" (Swinging Pig). It's the same show as Garden State.

The sound has been discussed before. The LP release has the best sound. My version (and some others) stems from the LP source (best possible quality), and the sound is unbelievable thin compared to f.i. Handsome Girls.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 4, 2005 15:28

Must be the same bloody name for 2 boots from the same Tour...ridiculous!!

My "Out On Bail" is from Swinging Pig and is DEFINATELY Passaic !

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: February 4, 2005 15:33

Odd. The sound on my Out on Bail CD is just as good as Handsome Girls. I must be the only person here who has the Mighty Diamonds version, whether it's the "official" Out on Bail" boot or not. Either way, I recommend it highly.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Date: February 4, 2005 15:34

In fact, a lot of the tunes on my Out on Bail disc are the same as the tunes on Handsome Girls #3.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 4, 2005 15:48

"d...Cleveland was an abomination. As for"

I'll drink to that. I looked forward to that show all spring and half the summer of '78. Then to sit through Kansas, in the rain, and have the Stones come on at 5pm, Mick in that stupid red hat, voice all coked out (when his mike wasn't malfunctioning) and Keith and Ronnie on seperate sides of Lake Erie - it was truly one of the worst concerts I've ever seen, by anybody.

They played a large chunk of "Some Girls" though and us 'hipper-than-thou" decadent punks thought that was cool.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 4, 2005 15:53

R,

How about Peter Tosh lighting that huge joint? That thing was bigger than Cheech n Chong size! Legalize it mon, don't criticize it....

Laughs,
Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Date: February 4, 2005 16:11

<In fact, a lot of the tunes on my Out on Bail disc are the same as the tunes on Handsome Girls #3.>

That's not strange at all, since you have a different show. Sounds like Memphis (and Detroit, since there is no complete Memphis show unfortunately...)

In fact, your "Out On Bail" reminds me a lot of another title; "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others". On this release, Hound Dog is included. Check the link to see if the titles match. [www.xs4all.nl]

The information is false. Not all of the songs are from Memphis.

Date: February 4, 2005 16:38

That looks close, although my disc doesn't have ADTL or Happy.

Still, except for the 3 Passaic tunes, I'm confident all the others are from Memphis, especially when compared with Handsome Girls. The versions aren't the same as Dallas, Detroit or Kentucky, while the ones listed as Memphis correspond.

Bottom line is I think I simply have a bastardized version of Out on Bail, with more Memphis tracks than the other boots have. Don't know how or why, but ain't complainin 'bout it.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 6, 2005 00:45

Of course the Handsome Girls cds are mislabeled too - SF Journal did a big piece correcting the attributions a few years ago. I love the Handsome Girls set, & a friend who saw them in Atlanta (Fox theatre) thought it was transcendent - and tho many of the shows were duds, especially stadium ones, SNL aint representative as they were getting very high during "rehearsals" w/Belushi & Ackroyd etc & it was done nearly 3 months after end of tour. I much prefer the HG set, & the '78 tour overall, to the '81 tour, where Mick was not in great shape, unable to make effective use of the huge stage (cherry pickers, running around in those hideous outfits, huffing & puffing & most importantly at his nadir vocally) & Ernie Watts is an annoyance, a bleating sheep. That said, the band frequently rocked hard & dirty. But the new technology wasnt all there either, so imo the very sound of the shows I saw & the recordings I have are inferior to the 'good' '78 shows.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 6, 2005 01:03

Bluespeyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That looks close, although my disc doesn't have
> ADTL or Happy.
>
> Still, except for the 3 Passaic tunes, I'm
> confident all the others are from Memphis,
> especially when compared with Handsome Girls. The
> versions aren't the same as Dallas, Detroit or
> Kentucky, while the ones listed as Memphis
> correspond.
>
> Bottom line is I think I simply have a bastardized
> version of Out on Bail, with more Memphis tracks
> than the other boots have. Don't know how or why,
> but ain't complainin 'bout it.
>
> -- It's no hanging matter --

Only 2 songs from Memphis ("Hound Dog" and "Shattered") are in circulation in soundboard quality (from broadcast source)

There is an audience recording of the full Memphis show, but the sound quality is mediocre

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 6, 2005 01:56

hahhahahhahah KSIE I had forgotten that huge spliff tosh lit up...

the best part about the celeveland show was the fact that the local police were on strike...and the parking lot was the cliche drug store that all parents hated rock and roll for in the 60's and 70's, a twelve stepper's night mare.

I guess though the performance was horrible, the guys on stage were more or less avatars for the total substnace abuse surrounding the whole event. At least half the people at the hotel I stayed at were on Acid!

Posted by: BBstones ()
Date: February 6, 2005 07:46

Best show was Memphis, its the only one you need of the 78 tour.

Date: February 7, 2005 14:22

the audience recording of Memphis? As stated earlier, only two songs of good quality circulates from the show. Handsome Girls is by far the best document of the tour.

Posted by: tramp66646 ()
Date: February 21, 2005 00:47

Saw them in Colorado in 78 and thought they were just fine myself, and don't understand all the disatisfaction with the band during that period of their career at all? Some Girl's was new that summer, if I recall correctly? And I loved the fact that this was just the Stones without all the extra player's up there on stage with them, and you could tell just what they truely had, musically speaking, I mean?
These day's there's so many other people up there with them, it's hard to tell who's doing what, at time's? And I believe that this isn't exactly purely accidental, if you know what I mean? Could it be perhap's that the boy's know themselve's by now, how lazy their playing's become? And the extra noise made by all the add-on's, serve's the band well, at covering this fact up? I mean who the hell's this Blondie Chaplin guy anyway, and what's he ever done to rate a spot up on the same stage as the world's greatest rock band, afterall? The guy is definately ugly enough to be in this band though, without a doubt, if that's what it take's these day's?

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: February 21, 2005 09:03

i have only been to 2 shows voodoo lounge and HongKong

my question is what do you mean by bad????

bad sound,did not play well,to smashed,or were there many factors as to why the shows were bad??????

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 21, 2005 15:39

I gave a look in that sleeve of New Jersey show that Dandelion gave a link.

That setlist is just a thrill to see how current and self-secure and proud of their new material the Stones were at the moment. Seven (!!!) songs from their new album! And those seems to make the core of the show. Then some good choices to refer their roots (two Berry covers and always great Robert Johnson number); from the 'classical period' there were only obvious "Honky Tonk", "Flash" and "Street Fighting Man" + few great early seventies numbers; the not so warmly accepted and a bit tired sounding dinosaur material of IORR and B&B (that never seemed to work 1975/76 Tours) was neglected.

That band rocked!

- Doxa

Date: February 21, 2005 15:44

Agree!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 21, 2005 16:07

They rockd on that tour!
The only song i somehow don't think fitted in was Honky tonk Women.
If i play Handsome girls, and i play that a lot, i always skip that song because it doesn't work for me in that set list!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 21, 2005 19:58

"And I loved the fact that this was just the Stones without all the extra player's up there on stage with them, "

They had TWO keyboard players. Keith's old chum Ian Stewart to help keep him on the straight and narrow and Ron's old bud Ian McLagen in case Woody "drifted off."

Neither was terribly discernable in the mix (except when the song called for it) and to this day I'm convinced they were there to help "guide" the often dissolute Keith/Ronnie tandem.

Posted by: SatanicFlowers ()
Date: February 21, 2005 21:00

I'm glad Handsome Girls exists!
The Anaheim show had a LOUSY sound system,
couldn't tell what most of the songs
were untill a chorus came round!
<NO acid used at this show>

Agree with the comments about the Stones
show casing so many songs from a CURRENT
album...how about "Far Away Eyes" as an
awesome slow tempo, WELL SUNG treat! The
drive and vibrancy of the band rules!

Saw them do "Out Of Control" (my 90's
version of Gimmee Shelter) and "Saint of
Me" (best sing a long song in a long time)
in Las Vegas in '99 (?) and those new songs
worked VERY well also!

- Thru our past darkly...

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 21, 2008 13:02

Bluespeyer
That looks close, although my disc doesn't have ADTL or Happy.

Still, except for the 3 Passaic tunes, I'm confident all the others are from Memphis, especially when compared with Handsome Girls. The versions aren't the same as Dallas, Detroit or Kentucky, while the ones listed as Memphis correspond.

Bottom line is I think I simply have a bastardized version of Out on Bail, with more Memphis tracks than the other boots have. Don't know how or why, but ain't complainin 'bout it.

Is there a reliable research that atrributes the 78 soundboardtracks to the right date/venue around?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 21, 2008 13:40

I have been listening to Handsome Girls lately and - like others here - don't quite "get" its legendary status. The sound is fantastic and undoubtedly it is a band performing on full throttle, but Jaggers shouting and the overall sloppiness, just doesn't grab me like I truly wish it would. I do prefer the couple of shows I have from the 81 tour, but those too, I think are a little overrated.

I'd rather listen to a great Bridges To Babylon show

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: August 21, 2008 13:48

"R" said....

"I looked forward to that show all spring and half the summer of '78. Then to sit through Kansas, in the rain, and have the Stones come on at 5pm, Mick in that stupid red hat, voice all coked out (when his mike wasn't malfunctioning) and Keith and Ronnie on seperate sides of Lake Erie - it was truly one of the worst concerts I've ever seen, by anybody.

They played a large chunk of "Some Girls" though and us 'hipper-than-thou" decadent punks thought that was cool."

This sums up how I felt about the 7/4 Buffalo show, tho the weather was nicer. I was very disappopinted.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 21, 2008 14:34

Altough I didn't go to any of the 78 tour shows(I was living in Europe), I love the bootlegs of that tour especially Handsome girls. The rolling stones sounded very raw and wild just like a good rock and roll band should!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 21, 2008 14:44

VERY uneven tour based on the available recordings - probably their most inconsistent.

It does tend to get highly praised based on the KBFH recordings which show them at their peak, but there are several shows where they're simply awful. I've always thought that the Passaic show, whilst charming, is a very ropey performance.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 21, 2008 15:52

LOGIE
Passaic, New Jersey was called "Garden State 78".

Out on Bail is a different gig.

I was trying to think of this title. I have the vinyl boot of this show and I thought it was pretty rough sound quality at the time. I've never heard the CD boot, were they able to clean it up? I was just getting into bootlegs at the time and had been listening to "Live R Than", so I guess I thought all boots were going to sound that good! I'll have to dig it out and give it a listen again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-21 15:58 by mckalk.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 21, 2008 16:03

I never liked the '78 tour and was at that terrible Philly show, only 90 minutes and just not great for the Stones BUT, Mick was very ill and despite a 103 degree fever he went on that day!! I give him credit for going on at all. I loved the '75 tour!! Not even in the same category as '75, IMO. I loved it more than '81 quite honestly!! Loved Steel Wheels, and all tours after, especially NO SECURITY for personal reasons. I guess it doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of SOME GIRLS!

Date: August 21, 2008 16:08

<I was trying to think of this title. I have the vinyl boot of this show and I thought it was pretty rough sound quality at the time. I've never heard the CD boot, were they able to clean it up? I was just getting into bootlegs at the time and had been listening to "Live R Than", so I guess I thought all boots were going to sound that good! I'll have to dig it out and give it a listen again.>

There seem to be two shows, both called "Out On Bail". The one I have is a very thin soundboard (not pleasant to listen to) from the Passaic show. The other release by the same name seems to be from the radio broadcasts we know as Handsome Girls.

Or do some of you have other information? Is there a Passaic soundboard in excellent quality out there?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 21, 2008 16:51

I'm confused !

I always thought "Out on Bail" TSP was from Passiac New Jersey.

The 1st bootleg Lp I bought was "new york tour 1978" and that was definately Passiac with SFM faded out . Yes,a rough performance,but great rock n'roll.

The entire Memphis show was available on the Double LP "Hot Flashes,Cool Licks" in excellent soundboard.

Bring back vinyl............oh hang on,we had to actually pay for them..I don't think anyone would these days !

sc uk

Date: August 21, 2008 16:55

<I'm confused !

I always thought "Out on Bail" TSP was from Passiac New Jersey.

The entire Memphis show was available on the Double LP "Hot Flashes,Cool Licks" in excellent soundboard.>

It is. But the sound quality is bad. Only two Memphis-songs circulate in SB-quality (it is misprint on the different releases. Most of the songs stem from Detroit)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home