Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Show a bit of love for Live Licks
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:23

Doc
I think there was a Japan-only Bonus track on it.
Don't remember which, but I'd be grateful to get a FLAC of it...

Thanks in advance

I think it was If You Can't Rock Me from The Madison Square Garden performance, televised on HBO.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:24

why?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: February 19, 2013 18:29

TheBlockbuster
There's a different version of Street Fighting Man and Rock Me Baby without Angus and Malcom is not on Four Flicks either.

Rock me Baby is on Four Flicks. It`s on the Wiltern "Bootleg" Part

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2013 00:36

TheBlockbuster
There's a different version of Street Fighting Man and Rock Me Baby without Angus and Malcom is not on Four Flicks either.

Weird that they did not use the MSG version of Street Fighting Man from the HBO special, which was considerably better than the Twickenham version.

Rocks Off made it's live album debut after all these years, hacked to pieces, yet they didn't edit CYHMK at all. Weird.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 01:10

When I first saw LL in the store and looked at the track list of disc one, I thought "why?" We have most of those songs already on more than one live album already, but I had to buy it when I saw the track list for disc two. I was thrilled to finally have live versions of Monkey Man, CYHMK, etc. As for the whole package I have to say it may be my favorite official release since Ya Yas - not counting the "official" bootleg releases they gave us recently. I love SFM. Yes, disc one is redundant, but if judged on it's own I think it's quite good. I like the mix and the performances, overdubs and edits aside. It sounds more raw and like how they actually sound live than albums like Flashpoint which sounds way too clean. I think maybe the redundancy of disc one is because they're always trying to reel in new fans and they wanted to represent the Licks tour by putting out an album that could do that. Disc one pretty much represents the classics-heavy sets they did in stadiums and arenas, and disc two represents the more obscure tunes they did in smaller venues. Overall, if you can separate LL from the other live albums with the same songs, I think it's a very enjoyable listen. OK - I've talked a lot about redundancy, so I better shut up as I fear I'm getting too redundant myself, lol. Sorry - out of work, too much free time; I tend to ramble...

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: February 21, 2013 02:16

Disc two is pretty good except for the obnoxious edit on 'Rocks Off' and the less than inspiring guitar solo on YCAGWYW that sounds like a big mistake by the time it wraps up. Disc one tunes are good too but 'Brown Sugar' has something weird going on, Mick sounds out of breath by the end terribly, and there has to be another edit issue in that too. Overall, it's not bad. I would have preferred just to have a CD of the show in Paris that's on the DVD and forget about the London performance.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: February 21, 2013 03:36

Great Album!

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:26

Disk Two has a lot to commend it. I listen to it often.

Nothing particularly "wrong" with Disk One, just doesn't really add anything one way or another

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:27

I didn't even realize I had it, but I do, but I certainly don't remember listening to it. Really cheap looking packaging. That being said, it was an interesting tour and the set list looks good.

The album seems more like an afterthought and not really Stones canon, but I guess it is, though. It's an official live album just like Ya Ya's, after all. I bet it has fewer overdubs.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:25

Some of the faster tracks are good to listen to on the treadmill. Keeps me running!

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 21, 2013 14:46

When LIVE LICKS came out we had a pretty robust discussion here regarding the shameless edits thereon, notably "Rocks Off." I was even able to get Bob Clearmountain to go back and forth with me, via email, on the title. Oddly enough, he had prepared the marvelous, guitars forward mastering but hadn't actually listened to what he was given all the way through. Hence, he didn't know about the cheesy edits.As he put it, he was" going to have "to go buy one" to hear what we were all ranting about.

I copied the entire email chain with Clearmountain to a thread here but I have no idea how to resurrect it.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 21, 2013 14:57

It shoul be nice to re-release the album with no edits. The Rocks Off thing is terrible, it rined the whole album. Once you listen that you do not want to hear more

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 21, 2013 18:45

KeithNacho
It shoul be nice to re-release the album with no edits. The Rocks Off thing is terrible, it rined the whole album. Once you listen that you do not want to hear more

AT THE TIME a new album, rumored for fourth quarter, was said to be in the pipeline. Apparently, when it didn't come fruition in time for Holiday gift giving, Live Licks was quickly cobbled together using a lot of the soundtrack from (and recordings apparently prepared for) the Four Licks DVD set.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 18, 2014 19:06

Got Disc 2 on again...sorry this is fantastic stuff barring the horrible edit on Rocks Off this album is great and I even like Ronnie's solo on CYHMK do I need help?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 18, 2014 19:21

exhpart
Got Disc 2 on again...sorry this is fantastic stuff barring the horrible edit on Rocks Off this album is great and I even like Ronnie's solo on CYHMK do I need help?

Disc 2 is great. But they should have made a CD equivalent to Four Flicks, ie a CD dedicated to Olympia concert, one to Twickenham and one to MSG... and a deluxe edition with a fourth CD with bonus cuts that don't appear on the three other discs...

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 18, 2014 20:01

Agreed

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: July 18, 2014 20:05

i picked up a copy of the 50th anniversary disc at my local liquor store for ten bucks.When I saw that that they used the rocks off from this set I sort of assumed they would fix it but no out of the whole live history of the stones someone decides this track would make the cut must be someones idea of a joke

Date: July 18, 2014 20:18

Awful I know, and the vodka it came with too

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 18, 2014 20:53

TOo much of it was simply ported over from the DVD set I already had. Still, great version of Worried ABout You.

Man I haven't thrown on this album in almost 10 years...

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: July 19, 2014 14:32

Paint it black and Angie on disc 1 r good

Disc one
"Brown Sugar" – 3:50
"Street Fighting Man" – 3:43
"Paint It, Black" – 3:45
"You Can't Always Get What You Want" – 6:46
"Start Me Up" – 4:02
"It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" – 4:54
"Angie" – 3:29
"Honky Tonk Women" – 3:24
"Happy" – 3:38
"Gimme Shelter" – 6:50
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" – 4:55
Disc two
"Neighbours" – 3:41
"Monkey Man" – 3:41
"Rocks Off" – 3:42
"Can't You Hear Me Knocking" – 10:02
"That's How Strong My Love Is" (Roosevelt Jamison) – 4:45
"The Nearness of You" (Hoagy Carmichael/Ned Washington) – 4:34
"Beast of Burden" – 4:09
"When the Whip Comes Down" – 4:28
"Rock Me Baby" (B. B. King/Joe Bihari) – 3:50
"You Don't Have to Mean It" – 4:35
"Worried About You" – 6:01
"Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" (Solomon Burke/Jerry Wexler/Bert Russell) – 6:35
Japanese edition bonus track
"If You Can't Rock Me" – 2:48

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: July 19, 2014 18:23

I love Disc 2 myself! Yes, the Rocks Off edit was a travesty, however. MEZ

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 19, 2014 18:35

exhpart

...Nope; you're awrite in my book.
Nothing wrong with Ronnie's rendition on CYHMK, btw -

Date: July 19, 2014 18:37

I like the non mt cyhmk, Jagger's harmonica solo is tops

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 19, 2014 18:52

Clearmountain said it was a band/producer decision, I remember that...

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: July 19, 2014 18:53

I think the the sound is very thin/bland. No Security has a far more better sound.
And not every song is done that right, like Worried where I miss the constant rhythm guitar part. Monkey Man and Street Fighting Man are fantastic performances though.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 19, 2014 19:08

Muddyw
I think the the sound is very thin/bland. No Security has a far more better sound.
And not every song is done that right, like Worried where I miss the constant rhythm guitar part. Monkey Man and Street Fighting Man are fantastic performances though.

I think the opposite. To me, the No Security mix is bland, although on paper it has a better set list and maybe even better performances. By contrast Live Licks is a brilliant mix with loud guitars and more rock and roll sounding. There are issues with it, not least the awful rocks off edit, but the sound is so much more exciting.

Date: July 19, 2014 19:18

I burned the 4 flicks DVDs to cd......I listen to these more than live licks

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home