Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Message To The Rolling Stones: Fans Want New Songs/Album!
Date: February 14, 2013 06:13

slew
JumpingjakOlantern - I'd love a new album as well but does anyone here really think the Stones read this board?

What's that old saying, "where there's smoke, there's fire"?

Date: February 14, 2013 06:32

stonehearted
If the band is meeting next month to discuss concert plans for 2013, which are expected to commence this summer, there will be no time to write, record, mix, package, and release a new full album of original material to tour behind. Besides, they are still to be performing under the "50 and Counting" banner. If there is to be a new album at all, expect it toward the end of 2014 at the earliest.

What's that old saying, "strike, while the iron is hot"? With them it could be, "strike while you are still among the living". Tomorrow is promised to no one. Time is no longer on their side. Mick must feel forever young, but to wait until the end of 2014 is really rolling the dice, but they are riverboat gamblers, and have been blessed with unbelievably good luck, for over a half century. So we shall see.

Date: February 14, 2013 06:39

Rip This
the question is simple: can they do better than Doom & Gloom and One Last Shot?

Yes, and they were damn good!

Date: February 14, 2013 07:05

Stoneage
Let's face it, it's a dysfunctional band. The band's songwriting duo hates each others guts. They can't be in the same room for more than one or two days at a time.
They are separate entities more than a functional band. A business corporation so to speak. The creativity is gone.

They recently spent six weeks together in the studio preparing for the 50th anniversary shows. They worked closely together on ABB. Things are all patched up now and all parties have their eyes on the immediate future. No better time than now to produce that one last great Stones album. Waiting is too risky. If it's going to get done, it has to be now, or never.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 14, 2013 07:42

I want it all!!! An album, a tour, archives, etc.

Gimme, gimme, gimme and then gimme some more.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 14, 2013 07:46

The diehards might want one, but they're a small minority. If sales of the last few studio albums are any indication, the mainstream likely doesn't care about a new Stones album. Besides, there's no indication that Jagger and Richards can write together anymore.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 14, 2013 08:00

Love the idea of Mick T and Bill on a new album. I seriously hope they consider this. From my point of view it's a little late to be worrying about being "relavant". They should do what they do best and not think too much about trendiness. of course a little bit of "modernization" wouldn't hurt, but I wish they would kind of return to the roots.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2013 11:43

Please some, old blues, stripped down stuff, and 5 shows at the Ziggodome Amsterdam or Heineken Music Hall.

jeroen

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 14, 2013 11:47

How many accounts does this person have!? eye rolling smiley

Date: February 14, 2013 16:36

ab
The diehards might want one, but they're a small minority. If sales of the last few studio albums are any indication, the mainstream likely doesn't care about a new Stones album. Besides, there's no indication that Jagger and Richards can write together anymore.

They should be long past worrying about the "mainstream". Write a classic Stones album and let the rock historians decide in about ten years how good it really was.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: February 14, 2013 22:11

To the Rolling Stones: When finalizing the track listing for your newest,latest and probably last studio recording, just pick the best 10 or 11 songs. Less than that would be okay but no more. Less is more. No Don Was, No Bill, No Mick T. No session players. Make it Funky. Try to be creative and co-create amoung current members including Ronnie, Darryl and Chuck. And please do not try to sound current with trendy tricks. You guys already blew it with two songs that could have been a great opening one two punch not heard since the It's Only Rock & Roll album. In fact, let that album title be your inspiration and focal center. Also try to make one more good album cover. No album name. Simply call it 'the Rolling Stones'

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 14, 2013 22:52

three16
To the Rolling Stones: When finalizing the track listing for your newest,latest and probably last studio recording, just pick the best 10 or 11 songs. Less than that would be okay but no more. Less is more. No Don Was, No Bill, No Mick T. No session players. Make it Funky. Try to be creative and co-create amoung current members including Ronnie, Darryl and Chuck. And please do not try to sound current with trendy tricks. You guys already blew it with two songs that could have been a great opening one two punch not heard since the It's Only Rock & Roll album. In fact, let that album title be your inspiration and focal center. Also try to make one more good album cover. No album name. Simply call it 'the Rolling Stones'

There is nothing at all wrong with a 16 song album. People will still bitch about what wasn't included on the album anyway, like the exclusion of Under the Radar from ABB.

Date: February 15, 2013 04:25

MingSubu
I want it all!!! An album, a tour, archives, etc.

Gimme, gimme, gimme and then gimme some more.

Yes, that's the spirit! Believe and you shall receive!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 10:25

If Doom is representative of what they can do nowdays .......... bring iT ON !!! I LOVE this is still booming out the radio every day here in Perth - on 96fm! It's a GREAT radio track, short, punchy, nice riff and sympathetic production. Classis Stones (yes, I KNOW it's a Jagger tune - big deal, it's a keeper!)

4 months before a tour???? Given THEY don't physically package or release - and given they can give the MIXING to someone else as well, so they just have to record the damn thing, maybe lend a hand to production,and given Doom and Shot took, what, a few days of, like, actual WORK by the band, they have PLENTY of time.

GO TO IT boys....

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Date: February 16, 2013 16:56

bitusa2012
If Doom is representative of what they can do nowdays .......... bring iT ON !!! I LOVE this is still booming out the radio every day here in Perth - on 96fm! It's a GREAT radio track, short, punchy, nice riff and sympathetic production. Classis Stones (yes, I KNOW it's a Jagger tune - big deal, it's a keeper!)

4 months before a tour???? Given THEY don't physically package or release - and given they can give the MIXING to someone else as well, so they just have to record the damn thing, maybe lend a hand to production,and given Doom and Shot took, what, a few days of, like, actual WORK by the band, they have PLENTY of time.

GO TO IT boys....

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Yes, get to it, gentlemen!

Date: February 16, 2013 16:58

three16

I agree, less is more. Ten to twelve songs max.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:54

new music first order.

Date: February 17, 2013 04:00

backstreetboy1
new music first order.

Exactly! Hear that, Mick?

Date: February 17, 2013 05:54

GumbootCloggeroo
Please don't do an all blues album. Thank you.

The future for this band could ultimately be in the blues and country. With the right producer they could produce a great blues album. I listen to the blues every Saturday and Sunday night from six to midnight. I hear many songs that I would love to hear the Stones cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 05:55 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: February 17, 2013 07:35

With their recent film & commercial monies garnered for their old songs, maybe they're coasting?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 17, 2013 08:34

JumpinJackOLantern
ab

They should be long past worrying about the "mainstream". Write a classic Stones album and let the rock historians decide in about ten years how good it really was.

Maybe they shouldn't worry about the mainstream, but of course they do. Jagger's obsession with trying to remain relevant is long-standing. If they're going to bother to make a new album, they'll want to make a hit album. If only the diehards buy it, that won't be enough to justify the effort.

Date: February 17, 2013 08:47

ab
JumpinJackOLantern
ab

Maybe they shouldn't worry about the mainstream, but of course they do. Jagger's obsession with trying to remain relevant is long-standing. If they're going to bother to make a new album, they'll want to make a hit album. If only the diehards buy it, that won't be enough to justify the effort.

You make some excellent points. It will be interesting to see in which direction they go with the new album. I really like their latest two songs.

Date: February 18, 2013 23:51

JumpinJackOLantern
ab
JumpinJackOLantern
ab

You make some excellent points. It will be interesting to see in which direction they go with the new album. I really like their latest two songs.

Provided there is a new album! Ronnie seems to be more interested in finishing some paintings!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:14

24FPS
[b
BlackHat[/b]]
New album? Yeh, it could be great but in all likelihood we'd get A Bigger Bang Part 2. I'd buy whatever they put out but you can gaurentee that the day it was released the IORR intellectual elite would tear it apart and pronounce it to be a dud.

Intellectual elite? What's intellectual about hearing bad Stones music? You feel it in your gut or you don't.

jamesfdouglas - An all-blues album? Yawn, no thanks. The Rolling Stones aren't a blues band. They're a rock and roll band...

Since when? They're a pop band. On any given day they've been an R&B band, a ballad band, a blues band, an Elizabethan band, an electric folk band, a psychedelic band, a country & western band, a reggae band, a disco band, an electonica band a jazzy band, a hard rock band, and just about any kind of band except polka. That 'Greatest Rock & Roll Band In The World' was just for marketing. They weren't any better at rock and roll than Led Zeppelin. But 'The World's Greatest Chameleon Pop Group' doesn't sell as well. But that's what they are.

No arguing that they've been very pastiche in their styles, and have genre-bended more than most bands feel comfortable doing, and with varying degrees of success. But a handful of style-treading doesn't really make them "a (insert genre here) band". When did they do a full album and tour of reggae? Country? Electronica (that's very puzzling one unless you're referring to some of those gawdy remixes).

What I love most about the band isn't their trend-following gimickry (because, that's kind of what is is, not to sound too cynical). But When they're earnest and amazing, it's dancable/groovable rock'n'roll that you can feel and believe with your body as much as your soul. When they put on their 'blues hats' or whatever, it's no more convincing to me as Mick's accent on Indian Girl (or even better - Jah Is Not Dead, hahahah!!!). I guess what I mean is that for me, rock and roll is what they're best at, and that's when they're being real, not hiding behind style distractions or sad trend-latching to compensate for the weak, by-numbers writing that's been happening since '89.

If they once again wrote as a band, and took the time and care it takes to write good songs - like they used to do better than everyone save The Beatles - then by all means, pretend to be a disco, country, whatever band. The songs will last if they're well written; therefore the album will matter for more than just the tour it was spat out for.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-19 00:16 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 19, 2013 00:40

slew
JumpingjakOlantern - I'd love a new album as well but does anyone here really think the Stones read this board?
Yes, the same people who believe the Stones are going to record a new album, invite Wyman and/or Taylor back in the band and in fact write songs together and have Woddy share in the process and the credit, something they didn't do even when they actually were a real working band. I mean, why wouldn't they read this board, there has to be at least a couple of dozen people worldwide who post here, maybe even as many as a hundred?

Date: February 19, 2013 09:52

His Majesty
How many accounts does this person have!? eye rolling smiley

LOL, who are you talking about, HM?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 19, 2013 10:15

Rockyfan
the same people who believe the Stones are going to record a new album, invite Wyman and/or Taylor back in the band

How about the 2011 song "watching the river flow". Bill Wyman is there with The Stones. Maybe a song or two with Mick Taylor is possible?

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: February 19, 2013 11:18

There are tons of songs not played live so far. As the them of the 50 years and counting might continue for the follow up concerts I don't see any reason for a new album which most of you don't like anyway (I second that from the comments on this board)

Rather have them perform in such good condition as during the London shows with spirit and with guests and do a outstanding show for 2 1/2 hours than having a new uninspired album.
Mind you I like ABB.

But this is a different story

Date: February 19, 2013 11:35

I like the idea of a Blues album. Mind you - I am really not a big Blues fan. I love the Stones when they play the Blues though. IMo it is one of the things that they are untouchable at. And it would be an 'easier' meeting ground for Mick and Keith; especially to start things off. Jagger plays a mean harmonica, Keith and Ron are good Blues guitarists.
I don't think Keith and Mick see eye to eye anymore on rock-songs. And I hate the way the do country by now. (overblown)
IAW with those who wish for an album over a tour. I'd take no shows at all, if we could get an album out of it.

PS - while I was typing this I accidentally had hit spacer-bar in wrong place, and it came out like this:...if we could get anal bum out of it. eye popping smiley

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 19, 2013 17:20

Jagger plays the harmonica well, Keith and Ron are alright blues guitar players, but it's Charlie that is ruining the "blues sound" for me. He plays way too stiff. Ironically, he doesn't "swing" when it comes to the blues. A blues album would be a mistake, in my opinion.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home