Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 20 YEARS AGO: MICK JAGGER’S ‘WANDERING SPIRIT’ RELEASED
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 11, 2013 21:19

CindyC
T&A
CindyC
treaclefingers
T&A
CindyC
Seriously - wow, that just made me sad. It seems like yesterday.

what's so sad about yesterday?

all her troubles seemed so far away but not it looks as though they're here to stay.

you guys are funny!

I just remember it was a really fun time in my life, living in NYC, going to a lot of shows. A friend and I did a long trip in the South of France and Wandering Spirit was one of three cassettes we had with us. Great memories.

don't just leave us hangin' here - the other two cassettes were.....?

Sorry - i'm such a cad!!! Emotional Rescue and Neneh Cherry's Homebrew.

how was the homebrew? oh, and what was the third cassette?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 11, 2013 21:55

T&A
how was the homebrew? oh, and what was the third cassette?

It was delicious - thank you for ax'in.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 12, 2013 04:23

DandelionPowderman
Stripped?

I would say that, yes, Stripped is the best release that the Stones did from 1982-2012. But Wandering Spirit trumps Stripped for these reasons.

1) Wandering Spirit is a studio album (13 tracks, 10 brand-new), blowing away the three previous Stones studio albums. Stripped is a complete retread, 'mostly sort of' a live album.

2) While Stripped is quite good, not one version of any of the songs are improvements, or even equal over previous versions of them, live or studio.

3) Both albums have a few new covers on them. The three 'new' covers on Wandering Spirit are better choices and WAY better performances than the two 'new' covers on Stripped.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 12, 2013 04:37

Don't Tear Me Up is striking because, unlike any songs either with The Stones or solo since the mid-70s, Mick is in rare latter-day form with an emotional vocal performance and reflective lines of lyrics, for the first time since Black and Blue with a sincerity that we haven't heard from him since. One has to wonder what sort of emotional upheaval(s) were intruding on his life at the time.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 12, 2013 05:39

stonehearted
Don't Tear Me Up is striking because, unlike any songs either with The Stones or solo since the mid-70s, Mick is in rare latter-day form with an emotional vocal performance and reflective lines of lyrics, for the first time since Black and Blue with a sincerity that we haven't heard from him since. One has to wonder what sort of emotional upheaval(s) were intruding on his life at the time.

It's definitely a standout track for me too. I remember it being played a lot on the local rock station back then. A lot of friends would ask me 'is there a new Stones album out' ( to them I was The Stones Fan in highschool and college, haha).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 12, 2013 05:48

jamesfdouglas
...While Stripped is quite good, not one version of any of the songs are improvements, or even equal over previous versions of them, live or studio...

good summation of Stripped, which is why I think its highly overrated by Stones fans ... I don't even think its that good. Wandering Spirit, on the other hand, is a great album!

Date: February 12, 2013 09:27

jamesfdouglas
DandelionPowderman
Stripped?

I would say that, yes, Stripped is the best release that the Stones did from 1982-2012. But Wandering Spirit trumps Stripped for these reasons.

1) Wandering Spirit is a studio album (13 tracks, 10 brand-new), blowing away the three previous Stones studio albums. Stripped is a complete retread, 'mostly sort of' a live album.

2) While Stripped is quite good, not one version of any of the songs are improvements, or even equal over previous versions of them, live or studio.

3) Both albums have a few new covers on them. The three 'new' covers on Wandering Spirit are better choices and WAY better performances than the two 'new' covers on Stripped.

I agree with many of your points, and probably that WS is better than Stripped, too - although I regard Undercover very highly.

However, IMO both LARS, WH IF and SFM are at least close to be improvements over the originals.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: February 12, 2013 12:04

Still listen to it a lot.....

The best album The Stones didnt make IMHO

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 12, 2013 12:20

After 20 years still don't get what people find so exciting about this.

Another huge mystery is Jagger's guitar tone and riffs: why usually great on a Stones album and consistently awful on his solo albums?

C

Date: February 12, 2013 13:39

liddas

Another huge mystery is Jagger's guitar tone and riffs: why usually great on a Stones album and consistently awful on his solo albums?

C

In the 90s his guitar tone and riffs weren't particularly good on the Stones albums either, imo. Gunface and Rain Fall Down. Exceptions are Sad Sad Sad (89, though) and High Wire. It's good again on Doom And Gloom, imo.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 12, 2013 13:50

I love that record a lot. And the one with the Red Devils "The nature of my game" is excellent too. Great work Rick Rubin.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 12, 2013 15:49

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

In the 90s his guitar tone and riffs weren't particularly good on the Stones albums either, imo. Gunface and Rain Fall Down. Exceptions are Sad Sad Sad (89, though) and High Wire. It's good again on Doom And Gloom, imo.

Don't think I agree.

From Voodoo the only track that I identify with Mick on guitar is I Go Wild, and I agree that it stinks.

But in general I like Micks work on ABB (including Rain - a true highlight for me) and Bridges.

His slide work on ABB in particular is truly excellent.

C

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 12, 2013 16:00

DandelionPowderman
jamesfdouglas
DandelionPowderman
Stripped?

I agree with many of your points, and probably that WS is better than Stripped, too - although I regard Undercover very highly.

However, IMO both LARS, WH IF and SFM are at least close to be improvements over the originals.

You can't be serious...LARS is better than the original? Someone get Zimmerman on the phone!

Date: February 12, 2013 16:21

jamesfdouglas
DandelionPowderman
Stripped?

Agree with everything in your post. Minor point though - Wandering Spirit has 14 tracks, 10 brand-new.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 12, 2013 17:31

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
jamesfdouglas
DandelionPowderman
Stripped?

You can't be serious...LARS is better than the original? Someone get Zimmerman on the phone!

I think that LARS is better by the Stones too. Also, there's a ton of versions on Stripped that tops the originals. Shine A Light, The Spider And The Fly, Wild Horses, Let It Bleed, Dead Flowers, Slipping Away and Sweet Virginia I all prefer to the originals. Some a bit more (Sweet Virginia), and some a lot more (Slipping Away).

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 12, 2013 17:49

JumpingKentFlash
I think that LARS is better by the Stones too.

but it's not - but it's okay to think so.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 12, 2013 17:49

Mick's best album. Still like it.
And I always loved the Hipgrass version of Out of focus from a 4 track single. Wish I could post it here.Anyone knows it?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 12, 2013 18:05

The only concert of Wandering Spirit "promo tour" (Webster Hall, NY, 1993 - full) : [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 12, 2013 18:06

I woke up, listening to it, this morning.

Wandering and Goddess are excellent Mick solo albums.

Date: February 12, 2013 18:29

T&A
JumpingKentFlash

Agree to disagree?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 12, 2013 19:39

JumpingKentFlash
T&A
JumpingKentFlash

Agree to disagree?

i disagree to agree.

Date: February 12, 2013 22:05

T&A
JumpingKentFlash
T&A
JumpingKentFlash

Agree to disagree?

i disagree to agree.

No high-fives for you then.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:50

Micks best solo album. Not as durable as talk is cheap however

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: February 13, 2013 03:12

Is he still wandering??
That's my question...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 13, 2013 03:27

.... when he gets back from the river I'll ask him ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: February 13, 2013 04:02

unbelivable thats been 20 years,and unbelievable godess has been 11,anyway ws,one of the best rock records ever.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 13, 2013 04:10

kowalski
The only concert of Wandering Spirit "promo tour" (Webster Hall, NY, 1993 - full) : [www.youtube.com]

I was there ... and I'm certainly in this video since I was right up front the entire show. I just can't see the people well enough however to pick myself out.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 13, 2013 10:48

LeonidP
I was there ...

Great. I only saw it on TV

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:14

i have this single too and like you i love the Hipgrass version of Out of focus. in fact i consider it much superior to the other versions of this song.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: February 13, 2013 12:15

CousinC
Mick's best album. Still like it.
And I always loved the Hipgrass version of Out of focus from a 4 track single. Wish I could post it here.Anyone knows it?

i have this single too and like you i love the Hipgrass version of Out of focus. in fact i consider it much superior to the other versions of this song.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home