Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14
Re: Track Talk: Moonlight Mile
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:08

Silver Dagger
His Majesty
Amazing track!

Come on Phil. You can do better than that.

Moonlight Mile is a slice of universal wonder which feeds the soul and fires the imagination.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:32

too spacey and ethereal...where's the backbeat? where's keith's chugging guitar and mick's wailing harp????

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:34

T&A
too spacey and ethereal...where's the backbeat? where's keith's chugging guitar and mick's wailing harp????

Unfortunately they had already used that up on the previous album, on Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:38

T&A

It's all there, just listen between the lines sounds!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:40

treaclefingers
T&A

Unfortunately they had already used that up on the previous album, on Midnight Rambler.

that's the problem when you let the tape keep running...if rambler were short and sweet at 3 minutes, moonlight mile coulda been saved....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 11, 2013 17:51

His Majesty
Silver Dagger
His Majesty
Amazing track!

Moonlight Mile is a slice of universal wonder which feeds the soul and fires the imagination.

That'll do. thumbs up

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: February 11, 2013 18:39

Check out this cover of Moonlight Mile by Lee Fields:

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 11, 2013 20:27

My favourite song, of all time. The Rolling Stones or not. A great song of yearning for your love. I travel quite a bit for my job and I play this every time I'm headed back nome to my wife "I am just living to be lying by your side" captures just the way I feel.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 11, 2013 21:32

"The variation on the lick that Richards referred to gets picked up by the lush Paul Buckmaster string ensemble"

[www.allmusic.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 11, 2013 22:27

One of the Top Vocal Performances from Mick.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 11, 2013 22:31

ryanpow
One of the Top Vocal Performances from Mick.

Sure is and its the perfect ending to the album. Must of fell out many times just as it was ending after a long night of drinking smiley and ...

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: February 11, 2013 23:05

One of their best... smileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: February 11, 2013 23:35

It seems likely Keith had some songwriting hand in "moonlight Mile." Whatever that was changes every few years.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 12, 2013 01:58

[www.youtube.com]

It's one of those cuts where you have to say it's as good as anything the Beatles did.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 12, 2013 02:40

Wasn't this tune called "Japanese thing" in the first place?

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 12, 2013 02:43

Might be my all-time favorite cover of a Stones tune. Neck and neck with the original--and that's really sayin' something:

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 12, 2013 02:51

Great cover version, thanks Rev!!

Drew

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: February 12, 2013 02:53

That's the old story. It was an accoustic ditty by Keith that Taylor worked up with Mick Jagger in the studio. The new story from Keith's autobiography is "the whole idea of it was Mick Jagger's and the the band just showed him how to play it."

I imagine it was probably a little accoustic number from keith that Taylor had a heavy hand along with Mick Jagger in working it up. With Keith relative lack of effort in defining the songs, Taylor became resentful at not getting credit. The same page in Keith's book take hard shots at Mick Jagger. I imagine giving Mick Jagger most credit helped to manage Jagger's emotions. Not taking any credit probably helped to manage Taylor's emotions.

I still think more will come out of the story. I imagine Marriane will take some credit and give some to Brian.

NICOS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-12 02:54 by Slimharpo.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 12, 2013 02:54

Great, great song. Mick's vocals are some of his best lyrics. A very reflective song he was showing a lot of maturityin his wrinting here. Not a lot of comments about this in the threads I read through it is absolutely one of Charlie's best works. His drumming here is sublime he takes the song to another level along with the Buckmaster strings.

The two Mick's were working well together. I got the sense in Crossfire Hurricane that Jagger thought that this was the best version of the Stones saying he thought itwas really stupid for MT to leave and that he really liked this band. Keith and MT pushed each other and MJ had another musician in Taylor that had ideas that he could bounce things around with. Maybe one of the reasons that Keith seems a little cold toward MT is that maybe he was jealous. Keith is great but he seems a little narrow minded and despite all of his bravado BS he knows that he needs MIJ more than MJ needs him. But anyways MM is in my top ten! Beautiful song!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 12, 2013 04:05

This tune is a masterpiece. 42 years old and still sounds beautful in every way.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 12, 2013 04:29

"....with a head full of snow...." that would be a drug, rather than seasonal, reference, I'm sure.

Musically, for The Stones, they are hitting a high point that is for them the equivalent of The Beatles' A Day In The Life. Both are sweeping album closers and are unlike anything either band created and recorded before or since, and both are soft, slow-moving epic songs whose emotional wallop belies their mellow orchestrated sonic structure, and both with their orchestration and subtle nuances are difficult, if not impossible, to recreate live in a manner that would do their original studio versions justice.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: February 12, 2013 05:44

Perfection

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 12, 2013 06:36

His Majesty
Silver Dagger
His Majesty
Amazing track!

That is a very nice way to put it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 12, 2013 08:48

stonehearted
"....with a head full of snow...." that would be a drug, rather than seasonal, reference, I'm sure.

No everything with the Stones is drugs related.

Mathijs

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 12, 2013 10:23

Wow! I know its a good song but ????

Date: February 12, 2013 12:30

Slimharpo
That's the old story. It was an accoustic ditty by Keith that Taylor worked up with Mick Jagger in the studio. The new story from Keith's autobiography is "the whole idea of it was Mick Jagger's and the the band just showed him how to play it."

I imagine it was probably a little accoustic number from keith that Taylor had a heavy hand along with Mick Jagger in working it up. With Keith relative lack of effort in defining the songs, Taylor became resentful at not getting credit. The same page in Keith's book take hard shots at Mick Jagger. I imagine giving Mick Jagger most credit helped to manage Jagger's emotions. Not taking any credit probably helped to manage Taylor's emotions.

I still think more will come out of the story. I imagine Marriane will take some credit and give some to Brian.

NICOS

+1

Keiths input is probably nil, Taylors probably a lot more, adding a stringsection was his idea (thats just production) but it seems he, playing guitars, co wrote the music to Micks guitar lick in the beginning, which also is the melody. The "Japanese thing" is probably something not even close to MM but a detail needed for contractual reasons. Jagger/Richards wrote the song.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 12, 2013 13:00

Redhotcarpet
Slimharpo

NICOS

+1

Keiths input is probably nil, Taylors probably a lot more, adding a stringsection was his idea (thats just production) but it seems he, playing guitars, co wrote the music to Micks guitar lick in the beginning, which also is the melody. The "Japanese thing" is probably something not even close to MM but a detail needed for contractual reasons. Jagger/Richards wrote the song.

Who knows. It seems more probable to me that Jager had the melody riff, chord changes and lyrics, and Richards had the outro chord sequence. Jagger, Richards and Miller produced it, and Taylor played slide.

Mathijs

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 12, 2013 13:19

The main acoustic riff strikes me as being the work of pretty much a guitar novice. It's really easy to play and reminds me of the kind of guitar noodling absolute beginners come up with as they find their way around the fretboard. For that reason I think it's likely to be Mick J's riff and song with colouring brought in by Mick Taylor and Paul Buckmaster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-12 13:52 by Silver Dagger.

Date: February 12, 2013 13:21

Silver Dagger
The main acoustic riff strikes me as being the work of pretty much a guitar novice. It's really easy to play and reminds me of the kind guitar noodling absolute beginners come up with as they find their way around the fretboard.

Thats why I never bothered to listen before. Love the song but the intro is a typical beginner noodlings

Date: February 12, 2013 13:29

Simplifying by playing a melody line is not necessarily "beginner noodling" grinning smiley

I wouldn't have changed this intro with anything, but that's just me...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home