Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
whatcha think about warhorses?
Posted by: Mickjagg65 ()
Date: January 31, 2005 08:18

let me preface this post by saying that i dont think that i am right... This is just my oppinion about the boys... just wondering what everyone on this sight thinks about the stones nowadays. i am 24 years old, which means i obviously didnt see the boys in their prime in the seventies, but i have seen them 7 times. 3 times on babylon, once on no security and 3 times on licks including sarsvfest in toronto. It seems on this board that many people hate the warhorses, but for me, i feel that when they play them, i get to watch the greatest band in the world, play the greatest songs ever. The beauty of the stones is that you dont know what your going to get. I love the fact that every concert you are going to hear a gem. I've heard memory motel, Like a rolling stone, let it bleed and star star... i love all these songs, i love them... sometimes, for example: honky tonk woman, i change when its on the radio, its just played too much, but i can never get enough of screamin, "I laid a divorcee in New York City" in madison square garden, that shit is better then sex... wanna hear you oppinions... Luv the boys

Then I said Hi, like a spider to a fly...

Re: whatcha think about warhorses?
Date: January 31, 2005 09:20

Mickjagg65, the band plays the warhorses for you! Imagine Noel Coward not singing "Let's Do It", or "A Room With A View", or Liza Minelli not singing, "New York, New York", and "Cabaret" live.

Same thing. The Stones are old and tired but live they kick eh-yuss!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 31, 2005 13:29

Makes sense. Of course they owe the newer and
younger fans the chance to hear them play
the war horses. If we older fans were
in your shoes I'd bet we'd be a lot
more demanding, rahter than critical
of the same.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: January 31, 2005 14:29

i think most of the people at the concerts, who are not those stones-freaks as all of us here, wants to hear the greatest hits and having a great evening and a good time, because the stones are playing, and they have to play the warhorses. for me, i made a few concerts since 1990, it was the same in the beginning. and after that, i only made the first concert completly at the following tours. because i went there, in expecting to hear some rarities. never thought that they would play she's a rainbow & memory motel in amsterdam 1998 or all about you, or some girls in imst 99.... i was there and i always had this great nostalgia feeling, because these songs i've listen to almost every day in my "younger" years. btw, they recorded rainbow when i was born-smiling smiley

Date: January 31, 2005 14:58

<wants to hear the greatest hits and having a great evening and a good time>

Don't think they'll bore themselves to death if the stones played songs like Under My Thumb, Let It Bleed, All Down The Line, Let's Spend The Night Together etc. instead of the regular warhorses...

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 31, 2005 16:37

I agree with DandelionPowderman, the Stones have plenty of hits that everyone would know and they don't need to play the same warhorses all the time. You Got Me Rocking should not even be in this category but it is. Tumbin Dice, Start Me Up and Miss You could all easily be replaced with say 19th Nervous Breakdown, Get Off My Cloud and Time is on my side. Fans would still know all these songs and it would please both hardcore and average fans. Instead we get another version of YGMR every night. With that said they are doing a much better job of mixing up the set list these days which I am grateful for, but as a big fan I thirst for more.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: January 31, 2005 17:48

I'm 50 and saw my first Stones concert in 1972(MSG). I saw them in '75(MSG),'78(JFK Stadium), 94(Carter-Finley)'97(Panther Stadium aka Bank of America Stadium..they are the ONLY act to play there to this day),00(Charlotte Coliseum), 02(MSG).

I couldn't wait to hear HTW, Bitch, Brown Sugar, SFTD, and other classics. The warhorses are their "bread n butter". The average fan wants to hear them but for me they are getting tiresome. Mick's voice doesn't have the range it had when he was in his 20's, Keith would rather pose than play these days. I was fortunate enough to see Mick and Keith share the mic for harmonies. I rather see that once more than hear the warhorses.

The shows these days are filled with families bringing their children to see the Greatest Rock n Roll band in the World. They deserve to hear the warhorses however, with their vast array of songs I'm sure they could inject new life into the upcoming shows.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 31, 2005 18:23

A setlist that would only include rarities would be enjoyable for the die-hards, but confusing to most. What some fans want is a private concert...that probably will not happen. You've got to have Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, etc. I saw Plant and Page and they did not perform Stairway to Heaven...certainly their most famous song, arguably the most famous rock song of all time. There is no excuse for a band not to "dance with you brought you." The Stones biggest failure in that last 20 years is the inability to add to the warhorses.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 31, 2005 21:27

I just love them! And I think if you are bored of their greatest hits then it is time to rest for a while. Don't see them live for say 10 years, and then go back. Satisfaction, Street Fighting Man, BS, JJF, SFTD and all of those songs are the Stones. Without them it's only an obscure show most normal fans can't relate to.

Bjornulf

Date: February 1, 2005 05:58

Sam Spade Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm 50 and saw my first Stones concert in
> 1972(MSG).

SAM SAM SAM!

Please please please tell us every detail of the '72 show you saw!! Which one, EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! Email me privately for your special gift after racking yer brain!

Date: February 1, 2005 18:47

I was at the opening show July 24 a Monday. Mick was dressed in the white jumpsuit with his leather jacket. It was the hottest ticket in town, all 4 shows were sold out. No sreaming teenage girls, like in the early '60's, no massive stage, just straight up rock n roll. I can still remember the opening chords of Brown Sugar blaring thru the the Garden. No, I didn't have the best seats in the house but I was fortunate enough to have a seat. Mick Taylor played flawless guitar. Jagger pranced a lot more in those days too. SFTD wasn't in the setlist back in '72(although I did see them play it live in '75 as the encore).

Yeah, it's a great memory, I even got to see Mick and Keith share a mic(that doesn't happen anymore). I was 17 at the time.

Posted by: harrybigsack ()
Date: February 2, 2005 03:27

I love them as long as their weaving.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: February 6, 2005 07:13

i think its hilarious that we all refer to them as "the boys" boys indeed!! HAR HAR HAR my dad is 64----he could be up there playing maracas or something with them!!!

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Date: February 6, 2005 15:27

i THINK IT IS SAD YOU REFER TO THEM AS THE BOYS, BECAUSE IT IS OBVIOUS YOU ARE PICKING UP ON kEITH INTERVIEWS WHEN HE CALLS THEM THE BOYS AND WARHORSES THE RUMOURED NAME FOR LICKS!!!!!!

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 6, 2005 21:24

I always thought the Beach "Boys" monikor was
kind of a sad joke after the sixties......
but then the Beach Men somehow just doesn't
click..........

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 9, 2005 20:44

I am so tired of all the fans complaining about the warhorses. I would be very dissapointed if I went to a stones show, and they did not play some warhorses like satisfaction, BS, JJF, SFM, SMU SFTD etc. A Rolling Stones show is not completed without such songs.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: February 9, 2005 21:06

Yeah they HAVE to play some 'Warhorses' - I can't imagine a concert without them.

Of course their back catalog is big enough so that they could avoid the 'warhorses' if they wanted to.

Every gig we play we get asked for at least ONE of the 'Warhorses' (Will you be playing Brown Sugar tonight? Paint it Black? Honky Tonk Women? Wild Horses?) - and they aren't even our songs!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 9, 2005 21:19

I think there is nothing wrong at all with them playing some of the "warhorses" mentioned above. I think what sucks is there are songs like You Got Me Rocking that make it in the set list every tour and almost every night.

Seems like the songs people don't want to hear are YGMR, Miss You and Tumblin Dice. Has there been a show without TD in the set list since 72, probably not many.

I have friends who are not big time Stones fans but do like them and they took a piss when Miss You started at the last show I took them to.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: February 9, 2005 23:31

Yes, they have to play warhorses but mixed with other songs like:

Time Is on My Side (23 years ago since they played it)
Get Off My Cloud
19th Nervous breakdown
Lady Jane (a looooong ago since they play it!)
Love Is Strong (instead YGMR)
Out Of Tears

Date: February 10, 2005 02:14

STOP CALLING THEM WAR HORSES!!!!! NO ONE CALLED THEM THAT UNTIL THE RUMOURED NAME OF 40 LICKS WAS WAR HORSES THEN ALL THE SHEEP MORONS ON THIS AND OTHER BOARDS PICKED UP ON> STOP!!!!!!

Date: February 10, 2005 02:43

I agree, they are not Warhorses, they are HIT songs.

Hell, when Macca played Live and Let Die, Hey Jude, Get Back at the Superbowl NOBODY called those songs WARHORSES. Get Back and Hey Jude are songs from 36 and 37 years ago.

And the SuperBowl isn't exactly filled with "old folks" either.

Date: February 10, 2005 17:38

It's a cool word. You're just jealous you never came up with it.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: February 10, 2005 20:55

harrybigsack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> STOP CALLING THEM WAR HORSES!!!!! NO ONE CALLED
> THEM THAT UNTIL THE RUMOURED NAME OF 40 LICKS WAS
> WAR HORSES THEN ALL THE SHEEP MORONS ON THIS AND
> OTHER BOARDS PICKED UP ON> STOP!!!!!!

That's what I like about Harry, he's got a good word for everyone......

Regards,

Ian.

PS Any guesses what letter that word might begin with????

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-14 18:49 by Stikkyfinger.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 11, 2005 08:38

calm down harry/sven... we will call them what ever we want...and you are beginning to look like the real moron; if you think we stupid sheep have no life because we are here on the boards, just think how empty your life is that you must return here to haunt us.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 11, 2005 10:08

Old people complain about everything. And they tell us how good things were in the old days. Like when there was another gitar player. Or when chewing gum used to cost only one cent. Or concert tickets five dollars. I remember buying my first records from Uk at two pounds. I though that was expensive. Now they cost 10 times more but it is less vs. general income.

Words are just words. Street Fighing Man is the same song whether you call it sweetheart or warhorse or hit or you hate it or you love it. I could not live without these great songs, and I am sure most of you others love them too. It's just that you have never experienced a show without them. Then it is easier to pretend you can live without them.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2005 10:15

If one was to go into battle it would be an advantage to be mounted on a Warhorse.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: animal ()
Date: February 12, 2005 01:26

warhorses are great songs as such, that why they became warhorses,
but the negative thing is that you feel the boredom of the band when playing it,..

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: February 12, 2005 01:39

I don´t feel Keith´s boredom when playing JJF in MSG, or MR... no point, tons of other examples. This "boredom" is certainly more pleasure for them than "what the f... shall I play" on less known songs sometimes.

Date: February 12, 2005 01:59

Well, JUMPIN' JACK FLASH is my all time favorite, with MEMORY MOTEL played back to back with LOVE IS STRONG, as my next choice.

The Stones have to play a few, because of the masses. The WarHorses are expected, fine with me, as long as I get my three songs winking smiley

Date: February 12, 2005 02:07

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-12 02:08 by Demon.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home