Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Revisiting Stripped
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 31, 2005 00:35

Yes, I'm going through the latter-day albums, getting psyched-up for the new release, which is still months away.

This is one of my favorites. A mix of live/studio, it is by no means a throwaway. Everyone is playing well, and some rarities are offered up. The band even granted producer Don Was a personal request, with the inclusion of "The Spider and the Fly". An extra bonus is offered with a few Quick-Time videos on this enhanced CD, which DO work. All you gotta do is explore the CD, and you can click on the extras individually.

Standout tracks are "Like A Rolling Stone", "Shine A Light", and the new version of "Slipping Away". However, nothing on this album is sub-par. This is arguably the best of the Stones' latter-day recordings.

Re: Revisiting Stripped
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2005 00:41

I love Wild Horses and dont forget the Japanese pressing carries the extra track Little Baby...with Mick revelling in that line "You go and I'll come little baby"

ROCKMAN

Date: January 31, 2005 00:59

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love Wild Horses and dont forget the Japanese
> pressing carries the extra track Little
> Baby...with Mick revelling in that line "You go
> and I'll come little baby"
>
> ROCKMAN

Rockman, the original US release has this track also. This is the one I have. Was it left out in subsequent printings?

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: January 31, 2005 01:36

4 STARS! GREAT ALBUM............

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 31, 2005 02:00

Yeah great album!

Love in Vain and Wild Horses stand out the most for me!
Great acoustic playing.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: January 31, 2005 06:05

bassplayer..Hey my mistake Black Limousine is the Japanese bonus track.

Also please note that a different take of Wild Horses from the Tokyo Stripped sessions, with Ronnie on electric instead of acoustic guitar can only on be found on the 2CD set:

"Ich Mochte Euch Bis Nash Koln Horen" - VGP 216

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 31, 2005 06:10

whats on this boot?

Date: January 31, 2005 06:24

Bridges tour complete show Dusseldorf, Germany June 24 1998.

Bonus track - Love Is Strong - Helsinki, Finland August 5 1998

Unlisted track end of CD2 - Wild Horses Different take with Ronnie on electric guitar. Tokyo, Japan EMI Toshiba Building March 3-5 1995

ROCKMAN

Date: January 31, 2005 06:26

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bassplayer..Hey my mistake Black Limousine is the
> Japanese bonus track.
>
> Also please note that a different take of Wild
> Horses from the Tokyo Stripped sessions, with
> Ronnie on electric instead of acoustic guitar can
> only on be found on the 2CD set:
>
> "Ich Mochte Euch Bis Nash Koln Horen" - VGP 216
>
> ROCKMAN

Thanks, Rockman. Wasn't "Black Limousine" also on the CD-single of "Like A Rolling Stone"? I had it--it kicks butt, but this is more of the stuff I had on my old HD which is now dead.

I gotta get that HD worked on--it contains my Definitive Brussels collection and some other data that I can't replace (including the complete 6/29/80 Zurich boot from Led Zeppelin) AAAGH!

Date: January 31, 2005 06:29

Yep! Black limo was also on CD single.

ROCKMAN

Date: January 31, 2005 09:31

Bought it, struggled through one listen, and sold it as fast as I could run out the door.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: January 31, 2005 10:40

Little Baby is on the european release as well. BTW, the version of Wild Horses is the best they ever did.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 31, 2005 12:50

keith changed the intro's on wild horses and angie and it sounds great on
acoustic

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 31, 2005 13:26

A Big personal favourite of mine,
can't get enough -Stripped Companion
also makes the grade. Black Limo was indeed
on the cd single relased here in Canada anyway.

I'd say Stripped and Voodoo were the Stones best two
nineties releases. Showed they still have the right
stuff. And is also my second favourite official
live Stones album after Ya Ya's.

A good no nonsense romp thru an excellent and varied
colection of Stones chestnuts, a return to form.

I thought Like A Rolling Stones was an odd choice for
a cover. Besides the obvious connection between the
title and the bands name, I wonder why of al the
covers they've toyed with, they choose this?

Don't get me wrong, great song, very good cover, but why?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 31, 2005 16:41

I think this is a great album, even the outtakes are awesome. I think the band was really on during this time in the 90's. Right after making a great album (Voodoo) they play some great shows in Amersterdam with lots of older unplayed tunes and they pull it off very well. This is the kind of thing I would like to see on the next tour, trying out some old songs that we have not heard them play in ages. And lots of acoustic and blues stuff.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: January 31, 2005 18:12

Yes this is one of my favourites as well. Wild Horses is excellent and this is the version we play live also. Fantastic song!

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 31, 2005 19:08

I could never understand why the accompanying film was never officially released.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 31, 2005 19:18

yes..i agree..its a great album.. does anyone know who i can get in touch with to buy stripped companion?

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 31, 2005 19:31

I loved Gimmie Shelter from these sessions

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 31, 2005 19:40

This is a curious offering from the Stones as they are obviously jumping on the MTV bandwagon.Unlike many other trends the Stones have followed this stripped down album was more than welcome.
I remember at the time it was a real novelty hearing a number of less regularly played songs performed in a more intimate way without the large backing that goes with the stadium concerts.I remember it went down rather well critically and also it being album of the week in Woolworths where i bought it.
In retrospect i think the album is neither embarrassing or particuarly inspiring. The songs are performed somewhere between o.k and quite good. It wouldn't be hard to find much better versions of most of the songs on bootlegs or official releases. The production is a bit too clean also.
Having said that it's preferable to most of their live albums released in the last 25 years.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 1, 2005 01:15

I think this is an excellent album. Dead Flowers and Let It Bleed are awesome. The only complaint I have about Wild Horses is that they sing the Wild Horses part of the chorus a bit shorter than the original, which doesn't sound right to me. The DVD from the No Securities tour with Dave Matthews is more like the original chorus.
One other minor complaint is that Mick doesn't sing all of the lyrics to LARS and Angie (if you follow along with the lyrics inside the CD).

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: February 1, 2005 03:07

the album is pure perfection,period.great playing,vocals,set,recording etc etc.

john scialfa

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 2, 2017 05:56

Rockman

Also please note that a different take of Wild Horses from the Tokyo Stripped sessions, with Ronnie on electric instead of acoustic guitar can only on be found on the 2CD set:

ROCKMAN

First time i ever saw this ... Does anyone have this version, and kindly willing to share?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 2, 2017 07:07

Am I the only one who thinks the album sounds very tired and lame, at least half of the tracks (mainly the rehearsal/studio tracks)? The Stones' elevator album?

Posted by: jonnylamar ()
Date: December 2, 2017 07:24

Love it. Wild Horses is particularly interesting. With Keith's prominent harmony and Ronnie's nice slide touches. Interesting because it's really another shot at recording the song properly. I'm not suggesting that the original was not recorded properly but it does sound a little sluggish I've always thought. Can't beat the atmosphere of the original I know. Also, I listened to Stripped Paris show in head phones yesterday and couldn't believe how great they all are. Keith is fully in command. Whilst Ronnie is also great if one had the chance to isolate his solos it would be a right laugh indeed. Some of his playing is funny as!

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 2, 2017 07:31

Stripped wasn't bad ... However Blue & Lonesome is much ..much better.

Blue & Lonesome is just so cool.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 2, 2017 07:53

Stripped is an amazing release. The Stripped Companion, all the B-sides, the club shows that got released last year...this was a band on fire, probably playing the best they ever have in the last 30 years.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2017 08:07

Mick's vocals on the Stripped version of Wild Horses are a bit over-enunciated imo - you can see it in his mannerisms in the video (Wild Horses Stripped), but the rest of the band plays great and it's a really nice version.
That said, the original studio version will always be my favorite in every way - there's a certain poignancy throughout, and the lead guitar is supreme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 08:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 2, 2017 09:29

Along with Stripped Companion it belongs to the best live albums the Stones ever did, it features some of Ronnie Wood's greatest guitarplaying.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: December 2, 2017 10:14

Don't waste your time, it's not by the Stones. Pretty close, but not.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home