Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nicky Hopkins appreciation thread
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: February 6, 2013 19:37

following my "did Stu play piano on She's a Rainbow?" thread, I read a bit more on Nicky Hopkins. What an artist! shame he was in poor health for most of his life. here's some tidbits from Wikepedia:

Hopkins played with the Rolling Stones on their studio albums from Between the Buttons in 1967 through Emotional Rescue in 1980 and Tattoo You in 1981, including the prominent piano parts in "She's a Rainbow" (1967), "Sympathy for the Devil" (1968), "Loving Cup" (1972) and "Waiting on a Friend" (1981). During this period, Hopkins tended to be employed on the Stones' slower, ballad-type songs, with longtime Stones keyboardist Ian Stewart playing on traditional rock numbers and Billy Preston used on soul and funk-influenced tunes.

Hopkins' work with the Rolling Stones is perhaps most prominent on their 1972 studio album, Exile on Main St..

Hopkins was added to the Rolling Stones live line-up on the 1971 Good-Bye Britain Tour, as well as the notorious 1972 North American Tour and the early 1973 Winter Tour of Australia and New Zealand. He started to form his own band around this time but decided against it after the Stones tour. He had planned on using Prairie Prince on drums and Pete Sears on bass. Hopkins failed to make the Stones' 1973 tour of Europe due to ill health and, aside from a guest appearance in 1978, did not play again with the Stones live on stage. He did manage to go on tour with the Jerry Garcia Band, from 5 August to 31 December 1975.[8] He continued to record with the Stones through the sessions for 1980's Emotional Rescue.

tracks he played with the Who: "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (1965),"The Song Is Over" (1971), "Getting In Tune" (1971), "We're Not Gonna Take It [movie remix]" (1975), "They Are All in Love" (1975), "Slip Kid" (1975), "How Many Friends" (1975)

Re: Nicky Hopkins appreciation thread
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 6, 2013 19:52

i like his work on quicksilver's shady grove record...1969

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 6, 2013 20:04

He gave the STONES sound a touch of class. RIP!

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: February 6, 2013 20:22

hot stuff
He gave the STONES sound a touch of class. RIP!

Did he ever! Thanks Nicky.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: February 6, 2013 20:24

In addition to his sterling work with the Stones, he added some great piano to the Jayhawks' Hollywood Town Hall album.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 6, 2013 20:53

I lived the stuff he did with solo Garcia and the band...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 6, 2013 21:15

LISTEN.. .listen... listen... listen... to the piano on Time Waits For No One...

Just frackin LISTEN....

Sublime.

Everyone thinks it's all Mick Taylor guitar... he was just the ying... the last section especially...

Nicky.. you were great.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 6, 2013 21:19

His bio leaves out his great work with The Who on Quadrophenia and Jeff Beck. During his later years you could still hire him for sessions he'd even fly from LA to work if you paid his air-fare. I was working with a young band on a huge label we were under-budget and decided to do just that. We were all kids and we started asking him to play more like "TWFNO" and do this and that which is kind of uncool although we didn't know any better. He played great and one point he said he had done all he could do as session guys often say. We then asked him to play B-3 on another song, he said he rarely played organ but obliged and played something correct, of course. In hindsight he was a man of great patience and he relished the fact that we realized he was a timeless hero, he was proud of the mark he made on music history. For us it was much like being in baseball fantasy camp with Roger Maris. We sat around and he told us Stones tales but the best Stones stories came from Jimmy Miller, I'll try to fit them in over time.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 6, 2013 21:43

His work with the stones is most prominant on Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 6, 2013 21:53

Hopkins is not on Quadrophenia. He's On Who's Next and By Numbers.
Interesting to ponder what Quad would have sounded like with him on it.
I met Hopkins a few times. The nicest musician I've ever met.
He told me he plays all the keys on Village Green Preservation Society album.
Called Ray Davies a "bastard" but said it with a big smile.

Date: February 6, 2013 22:02

tomk

All of the mellotron too?

Date: February 6, 2013 22:02

Chris Stainton holy cow." Chris Stainton also toured with the Eric Clapton band. Although Nicky Hopkins had helped the Who play piano on thier "My Generation" and "Who's Next" albums, he didn't play session pianos on any song for "Quadrophenia"". So LOve Reign is Chris???? I once recognized him in a coffee corner and he hugged me exclaiming "no one ever recognizes me". I knew him mostly from Clapton but he did play with Joe Cocker on Mad Dogs as well.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 6, 2013 22:21

I've really enjoyed the memories you've shared, DoomandGloom. I hope they keep coming.

Date: February 6, 2013 22:22

DoomandGloom
Chris Stainton holy cow." Chris Stainton also toured with the Eric Clapton band. Although Nicky Hopkins had helped the Who play piano on thier "My Generation" and "Who's Next" albums, he didn't play session pianos on any song for "Quadrophenia"". So LOve Reign is Chris???? I once recognized him in a coffee corner and he hugged me exclaiming "no one ever recognizes me". I knew him mostly from Clapton but he did play with Joe Cocker on Mad Dogs as well.

I thought Pete played all the piano, organ and synths on Quadrophenia!?

Date: February 6, 2013 22:36

Nah... Pete can play keys but he's not a pianist... Nicky also did all the early Lennon stuff. George and Ringo too....

Date: February 6, 2013 22:42

His Majesty
tomk

He told me he played "all of it." We talked about Olympic Studios, too. I wish I could remember more of what we talked about, but it was so long ago.

Date: February 6, 2013 22:53

DoomandGloom
Nah... Pete can play keys but he's not a pianist... Nicky also did all the early Lennon stuff. George and Ringo too....

I always thought Pete was on Love Reign. It's in E flat if I remember, so he doesn't have to stray too far from the black keys. Does he mention it on that Quadrophenia documentary that came out last year?

Date: February 6, 2013 22:56

It's safe to say Pete did the programing ARP / Moog parts himself during the demo. The same tracks guided the actual recordings and are likely what they play along with till this day... The Won't Get Fooled type synth stuff. He hired piano guys to play piano stuff but he could handle the rest. I guess that the great "Rabbit" was behind the scenes through much of it until he became a integral part of the touring band.. I never worked with The Who and would have been terrified to do so.

Date: February 6, 2013 23:14

Oh, yeah, for sure Pete does that programming. But his original demos have piano.
Sounds like him. I'll have check that documentary again and see what he says.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 6, 2013 23:19

tomk

And their 1965 album, My Generation.

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: February 6, 2013 23:30

It's been a long time since I read them, but I believe the Scoop liner notes stated Townshend used his original piano demo track on the Who version of Love Reign. It is him either way on that track.

Date: February 6, 2013 23:47

DoomandGloom

Just checked...

Chris Stainton was the only additional musician on Quadrophenia, he played piano on The Dirty Jobs, 5:15 and Drowned.

Pete played all of piano and organ parts on the original Tommy album though.

cool smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 6, 2013 23:53

It should also be mentioned that he did a lot of session keys on mid-60s Kinks records. In fact, it is said he was among those who inspired this 1966 Ray Davies composition:

Date: February 6, 2013 23:54

tomk
His Majesty
tomk

He told me he played "all of it." We talked about Olympic Studios, too. I wish I could remember more of what we talked about, but it was so long ago.

smileys with beer

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 7, 2013 00:08

Some notable classic singles featuring Nicky Hopkins:

Date: February 7, 2013 00:13

tomk
Oh, yeah, for sure Pete does that programming. But his original demos have piano.
Sounds like him. I'll have check that documentary again and see what he says.

Well it's silly of me to underestimate him..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 7, 2013 00:16

There is a biography about Nicky that was published just last year, "And on Piano ...Nicky Hopkins: The Extraordinary Life of Rock's Greatest Session Man." It's gotten decent reviews. I've been meaning to get a copy, but I'm to busy to add another book to my reading list right now. Anyone here read it?

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: February 7, 2013 00:16

Nicky Hopkins! Great pianoplayer with a melodic bluesy feeling. Everything was better back in the good old days.

Date: February 7, 2013 02:59

There's piano on the track Little Games?

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 7, 2013 03:18

latebloomer
There is a biography about Nicky that was published just last year, "And on Piano ...Nicky Hopkins: The Extraordinary Life of Rock's Greatest Session Man." It's gotten decent reviews. I've been meaning to get a copy, but I'm to busy to add another book to my reading list right now. Anyone here read it?

[www.amazon.com]

I got mine, what a book! Sad one, Nicky has a sad life in many aspects. His first wife, Dolly, drugs and bad health, but the man manage to made the beautiest piano lines in rock history.

Check my Nicky Hopkins videos on Youtube.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home