Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: James Taylor
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 29, 2005 22:05

Right now, I'm listening to "James Taylor Live", a 2-CD set from his series of 1992 shows specifically for recording this album.

I don't know how the community feels about JT, but I love his music. He is a song craftsman, and his body of work demands respect.

This man survived some major drug issues, and on this record sounds even better than way back from the "Sweet Baby James" days. He is one of the few artists from that era that has improved, vocally, and still maintains a very high quality of songwriting.

I admire him.

What do you gents & ladies think?

Re: OT: James Taylor
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 29, 2005 22:58

I was watching repeats of the BBC In Concert series from the early seventies and James Taylor was included along with Carole King,Neil Young and Joni Mitchell amongst others.
James performance from 1970 didn't strike me as much as some of the others on a first listen but over a period of time i loved his the most. There is great subtelty in his playing particuarly in his guitar plucking which is very noticeable on this acoustic performance but is sometimes lost with the additional instruments found on his albums.Fire And Rain, Rainyday Man, Long ago and Far Away and Carolina On My Mind are perfect examples.I love him acoustically the most.
James has never been an artist who has made dramatic shifts in style and i think he has strayed into MOR territory a little too often at times for my liking.
However that In Concert performance is brilliant and i never tire of watching it.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: January 30, 2005 02:27

I find that live album of his somewhat hit and miss. Copperline, Mexico, Millworker, Country Road and a few others are absolutely superb, while others are two laden with backing singers, slide guitars and naff arrangements. Now where have I heard that before?

However, on his own, with just a guitar, there are few in this world to touch him.

Posted by: mickmask ()
Date: January 30, 2005 06:30

I have always loved his voice....it's just like velvet...he has such a relaxed way of singing...(effortless)....superb guitar playing and beautiful(meaningful) lyrics.
Have listened since 'Sweet Baby James'.....and never stopped since. Really odd that I found your post as I was just looking to see if he was touring when I stopped in here for a while...
...a fellow fan in Canada
mm.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: January 30, 2005 11:04

what a coincidence!

it is Sunday morning, 9 o'clock in misty Amsterdam, everything is quiet and peaceful here and right now I am listening to James Taylor!

it is the perfect music to such a Sunday morning...

the juf

Posted by: kath ()
Date: January 31, 2005 05:44

james taylor is one of my alltime favorites. watching him play in concert is pure joy. he's so free and easy, he obviously LOVES what he does, his songs are mostly just wonderful....i see him whenever i can. if you've never seen JT in concert, do it!! he is pure fun!!!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 31, 2005 18:10

I went to see James Taylor with out the aid or accompaniment of booze or drugs and I fell asleep. Sorry folks! He's been asleep since he got off smack and Carly dumped him

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home