Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

78 Sound Boards vs. 81 Soundboards
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 29, 2005 18:36

I have the Handsome Girls set and it is wonderful. I also have an audience recording of a show I attended during the Tattoo You tour at Orlando. (It was Bill Wyman's birthday and we sang Happy Birthday to him.) Of course the sound is different due to the recording methods....but I was curious what you guys thought about the best recordings of these two tours. How do they compare? Handsome Girls blows away the Still Life album. What caused this change of sound? If you recall 81 Tour was seen as a triumph over the 78 tour at the time. What say you?

Re: 78 Sound Boards vs. 81 Soundboards
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 29, 2005 20:54

I think the 78 tour is far superior. I think the main difference is in 78 Mick's voice sounded fresh,raw and full of vitality and in 81 he just sounded gruff.The band played very well on both tours but Mick made all the difference.
The 78 tour was the last time i loved Mick's voice without reservations.His vitality seemed to leave him after that tour.

Posted by: BBstones ()
Date: January 29, 2005 21:34

Get the Hampton 81 show on CD and DVD. I prefer the 78 soundboard stuff over the 81 stuff, but Hampton 81 does truely rock. I wish there was a pro shot DVD of the 78 tour [besides whats out there] to me it just seems that they rocked out more in 78

Posted by: jack_daniels ()
Date: January 29, 2005 21:47

I've got their concert in Capitol Theatre, Passaic, June 14 '78, first on vinyl and later the whole concert on cd (both soundboard). One of my fav concerts of 78.

Hampton is for me the only one worthwile from '81. But gooood.

I'm just a Monkey Man

home.planet.nl/~verm6412/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-29 21:47 by jack_daniels.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: January 30, 2005 00:56

The reason, I think, that '81 was seen as a triumph over '78, is that the tour was much larger in scale and the band was much more consistant. It was a hit and miss affair in '78, and the most talked about boots are of the best shows. Many of the other shows bordered on rank, and the press, musical and otherwise , were quick to hop on this seeing the tour as the last gasp of guys gone beyond any relevance or interest. Those bad shows even led to one major article in Life magazine( maybe it was Look, neither are around any more) that claimed going to the shows was a watse of time, certainly nothing to skip work or class or anything for; and since many of the stadium shows started in afternoon with festival seating, if you did not get there early...

Posted by: williedynamite ()
Date: January 30, 2005 02:08

I just got "Garden State" off of EBay and I really like it. Is that from the Capital show? Is it soundboard? You can't really hear the audience.

What other 78 shows would you recommend?

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 30, 2005 04:09

I too recall that article in either Look or Life magazine. Rolling Stone truly slagged the tour. I saw the Stones twice on the 81 tour. Orlando was okay...but the December 5 in the Superdome saw the Stones rocking like crazy. I don't know...the guitar sound was different. I'm not a gear head...but something was different in the sound of Keith's guitar on the 81 tour....the crunch seemed to be gone.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 30, 2005 19:19

"I think the main difference is in 78 Mick's voice sounded fresh,raw and full of vitality and in 81 he just sounded gruff."

Except when it was blown out from coke - which was often on that tour.

" I just got "Garden State" off of EBay and I really like it. Is that from the Capital show? Is it soundboard? You can't really hear the audience. "

It was radio broadcast as I recall. I think it's my all time favorite Stones boot, perhaps because it was SO good, and recorded a couple weeks before I saw them that summer, when they were SO bad.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 30, 2005 21:50

the 1978 tour is of course classic (Memphis is my favourite) but im sitting here listening to Seattle 1981 after a lot of Ballantines this afternoon and its really great, i particulraly love the version of whip comes down..........

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 31, 2005 16:29

R Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> " I just got "Garden State" off of EBay and I
> really like it. Is that from the Capital show? Is
> it soundboard? You can't really hear the audience.
> "
>
> It was radio broadcast as I recall. I think it's

No, it's a dry soundboard, stolen right from the mixing desk.

Mathijs

Date: January 31, 2005 17:06

The radio broadcast was the Handsome Girls concerts. The Passaic-show was thin and dry soundwise, and have never been one of my favourites.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 31, 2005 17:28

I don't think I got the point of the thread.

Anyway.

1) I don't have a truly bad boot coming from the 78 tour + HG OOB & others showcase the Stones hot as ever.

2) I never was really fond of the TY tour before I started having something more than Stll Life covering this era. Naples 82 is now one of my fav boots!

3) It is difficult to discuss set lists ex post. The 78 Some Girls set list considered now is a gas. How did the fans react in those days? I can remember reading here somewere that 72 set lists were not all that popular in those days, being basicaly a collection of most new songs- fRom this point of view the 81 set list was more conservative (it hasn't changed that much since) and therefore more easy to accept for public and critics-

4) Stages. It is one thing to play in a big stadiums (as most of the TY tour), a completely different thing to play in an arena (78).

5) When everything was ok the rolling stones 78/81 were the most exciting r'n'r act that ever.

C

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 31, 2005 17:45

R Wrote:
> "I think the main difference is in 78 Mick's voice
> sounded fresh,raw and full of vitality and in 81
> he just sounded gruff."
>
> Except when it was blown out from coke - which was
> often on that tour.

I think that is one thing that is never talked about when discussing Mick's bad vocal performances. Mick was known to have had a pretty big coke habit in the 70's and part of the 80's. During SNL in 78, I have read that people who worked on SNL could not believe how much weed and coke that Stones all did at the NBC studios. And we all know how bad Mick sounded at this performance, he could have also been sick but I am sure all the coke and smoking did not help his voice either.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 1, 2005 01:35

Mathijs Wrote:
>
> No, it's a dry soundboard, stolen right from the
> mixing desk.
>
> Mathijs
>
>

How do they steal those recordings from the mixing desk?
You'd think that there are always people around the mixing desk.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2005 01:44

I remember a Keith interview where he joked about Stu selling off soundboard recordings to boot dealers so he could pick up a quid on the side.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 1, 2005 01:51

its probably true, they screwed stu so why not

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 1, 2005 02:23

the story on the Capitol Theater show was the guy right ripped right out of the console in the middle of the SFM encore

Date: February 1, 2005 06:02

Edward Twining Wrote:
> I think the 78 tour is far superior. I think the
> main difference is in 78 Mick's voice sounded
> fresh,raw and full of vitality and in 81 he just
> sounded gruff.The band played very well on both
> tours but Mick made all the difference.
> The 78 tour was the last time i loved Mick's voice
> without reservations.His vitality seemed to leave
> him after that tour.

I agree completely. In '78 it sounded like he was shouting and screaming and bawling as though his life depended on it. In '81 it sounded like he'd been to a professional vocal coach. It sounded like he'd swallowed a Dolby processor or something.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: February 1, 2005 07:04

As a native of the area, I find it not terribly surprising that two supposedly "stolen" soundboards were stolen in NY and NJ.

MSG, NYC 7/26/72; 45 min; 8.5 s; "Welcome to New York"

Mick Jagger's 29th birthday was also the last concert of the '72 tour. ***Legend
has it this stereo soundboard recording was stolen from the mixing desk by 2
fans.*** Some LPs ("Tour '72," some versions of "Madison") are in mono and only
have the "Mick Taylor" channel so Keith can barely be heard. Swingin' Pig
releases are dubbed from old vinyl and drastically over NoNoised. Best source
is old vinyl with 'RS 546 REI' written in the dead wax. Good luck finding a
copy! Next best is probably the later pressing with the '2815' matrix; these
are considerably easier to find. For more detailed information on the many
releases of this show see [members.aol.com].

Passaic, NJ 6/14/78; 90 min; 9.0 s; "Garden State 78"/others
Excellent stereo soundboard recording; probably the most well known boot of
the tour. ***Legend has it the tape was stolen from the soundboard before the
show ended which explains why the end is missing.*** Good performance except the
incomplete encore "Street Fighting Man" sounds completely unrehearsed; it's
terrible. Original LPs sound better than any CD release; in fact The Swingin'
Pig "Out on Bail" and Scorpio's "Capital Connection" both appear to be dubbed
from vinyl.

Date: February 1, 2005 10:00

<Good performance except the
incomplete encore "Street Fighting Man" sounds completely unrehearsed>

Don't forget the awful Miss You-version...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 1, 2005 14:08

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> <Good performance except the
> incomplete encore "Street Fighting Man" sounds
> completely unrehearsed>
>
> Don't forget the awful Miss You-version...

?? Awful Miss you version? It's probably the best version of the entire tour, the only version were they really are jamming freely!

Mathijs

Date: February 1, 2005 14:13

<the only version were they really are jamming freely!>

I like free jams, but there is a limit, even for the stones!

The Passaic version is a 7 minute jam without the brigde. Jagger tries to sing "Ooh, everybody waits so long....", and major f%#ยค% ups occurs. IMHO, the versions on Handsome Girls are much better.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 1, 2005 15:14

Play games with the singer is always fun!

C

p.s that MY could have gone on for 1 hour and still be brilliant!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home