Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Has anyones folks said you could not attend RS show?
Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: February 5, 2013 16:49

treaclefingers
stonesrule
My father thought I was wasting my money on rock records that I would never play again...Hah! Still playing 'em.

I was never forbidden to see anyone, however. And as a young girl on my first trip to London, where I saw the Stones at Royal Albert Hall, my mother was quite pleased to hear of my report on their "greatness."

Mother died a long, painful death several years ago. During that time music meant a lot to her. At her request,weekly, I played music by Sammy Davis Jr. Sinatra, Ella, the Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aretha, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan etc.
She was a "true lady" but she was hip.

She met a number of my friends, including Iggy Pop several times. She and Iggy got along great. At one point. he came over to her house where he spilled red wine on a white carpet. He was mortified! She was cool. "Don't worry about it dear," she said. She would have killed me if I had done it!

Great story

x2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-06 04:11 by minorbyrd.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 5, 2013 18:56

micwer
Great stories guys, keep 'em coming!

Two things were happening in Vancouver in 72. First if I recall the Stones show was so anticipated that it was the first show that folks ever lined up for overnight in my experience. So there was this atmosphere of showing up and trying to muscle your way in, this accounted for the smashing of the doors. The second was the riot which was an anounced fight between two rival gangs, which the unfortunate ones without tickets got wrapped up in. As for the ferry ride, it was back to Vancouver Island for Nanaimo, they had a 4:00 am train ferry thay took a few passengers back then.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2013 20:42

Des
micwer
Great stories guys, keep 'em coming!

Two things were happening in Vancouver in 72. First if I recall the Stones show was so anticipated that it was the first show that folks ever lined up for overnight in my experience. So there was this atmosphere of showing up and trying to muscle your way in, this accounted for the smashing of the doors. The second was the riot which was an anounced fight between two rival gangs, which the unfortunate ones without tickets got wrapped up in. As for the ferry ride, it was back to Vancouver Island for Nanaimo, they had a 4:00 am train ferry thay took a few passengers back then.

Wild, I have family and friends that live in Nanaimo.

Do you still live there?

Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 6, 2013 01:44

Yes I do, just moved back after 26 years in Campbell River (the town with the highest fan rate on Shidoobee). Your freinds names?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 6, 2013 01:46

1981 had to beg and plead

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: February 6, 2013 03:41

Yes, Mum said no to Wembley 1999, it clashed with my GCSE's. My father took me anyway, some perks to having divorced parents!!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 6, 2013 04:37

minorbyrd
NoCode0680
Not mine, they actually bought me my ticket to see them for my first time on the B2B tour. But by that time rock music was no longer the devil. In fact my parents preferred I go see The Stones than the grunge/alternative acts of the day. My dad and I had watched the SNL episode with Nirvana several years earlier and he was disgusted by them. And my mom had refused to by me In Utero for my birthday just based on the cover art and title. The parental advisory sticker didn't do me any favors either. They would have bought me tickets to go see "oldies" acts any day of the week over the bands that were popular at the time. If they had heard the lyrics of some of the other bands I was listening to, like Nine Inch Nails, they probably would have locked me up and thrown away the key. The Stones were wholesome in comparison to them.

That's harsh - a year or so later I was seeing Nirvana & the other bands of that era ( but then I was out of their hands by then) when they did travel here. But would love to see the Stones in a non-Stadium venue. They did one at a theatre last time, but the tickets went to the 'chosen ones', from what I can gather. But the early 90s bands at our 'Big Day Out' summer festivals were brilliant. Unfortunately my recollections are a bit vague.......

I think it was less about not allowing me to have it and mainly because my mom was too embarrassed to walk up to a check out counter holding this...

They never went through my music to make sure I wasn't listening to the "bad stuff". They never had any rules on rated R movies or anything like that either. In fact when we were kids my dad used to take us to rated R horror movies that we (mainly my older brother and his friends, but I tagged along) wanted to see. Nothing too crazy like these torture movies today, just the stuff of the time like Child's Play, Friday The 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan, etc. My mom even took us to Alien 3. They hated every second of it, but they had no problem with us watching it. I had all kind of Nine Inch Nails, a couple of Marilyn Manson (and I bought In Utero myself right after she didn't) so it's not like I wasn't allowed to have it. They never really knew what I was listening to though. I always listened with headphones. They thought those movies and bands were garbage, but they weren't going to enforce it. The "lock me up and throw away the key" was just an expression, there wouldn't be a punishment for such a thing, though their heads may have exploded if they heard some of those lyrics.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 6, 2013 06:07

BILLPERKS
WASNT ALLOWED TO GO TO JFK 1981.I WAS 12.SURE WISH I WAS THERE,DIDNT GET TO SEE MY 1ST STONES SHOW TILL VET STADIUM OPENER 1989. A LONG WAIT,INDEED.

Perks,
My brother took me to JFK II; I was 13. It was awesome.
T@3

Posted by: lickedlady1966 ()
Date: February 6, 2013 22:56

My first Stones show, June 11th 1982, Munich. My parents did not allow me to attend the show as I was just 15 and Munich 250 km away. At school I told the teacher I felt sick and had to go home and round the corner an older friend picked me up and we went to Munich. Mum did not know where I was and today I understand she was quite worried about her little girl. Got back home at 3 a.m. and mum awaited me at the door wearing a white night gown, she looked just like a ghost. "Where do you come from now?". But she knew it.
Since that day I am hooked to the Stones.
My mother meanwhile understands my passion and she has attended some Stones shows, always FOS.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home