Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
what was the sound like in 1972 for a Rolling Stones concert
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: January 29, 2013 07:42

could you hear the music ok?was the sound distorted?was it loud enough?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Re: what was the sound like in 1972 for a Rolling Stones concert
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 29, 2013 07:59

Was way too young to be at a show in '72.

Based on the Brussels Affair show in the following year, they probably sounded tremendous in '72.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-29 08:25 by uhbuhgullayew.

Posted by: IdahoStones ()
Date: January 29, 2013 08:14

As a younger stones fan, I have always been jealous of people who could see them back then. My first concert was in 2002.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 29, 2013 08:24

I wasn't alive at the time, but from stories I've read on here, and stories about older concerts in general (Stones or not) did not sound all that great. At least compared to today, but at the time that's just what it sounded like so I'm sure they didn't mind a bit. What you could or couldn't hear depended on a number of things, like the equipment used, where you were sitting, etc.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 29, 2013 08:41

I enjoyed seeing them (daytime show) 1973, quite sloppy, sometimes out of tune, incredible first show for me seeing the band ......

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 29, 2013 09:23

In 76 it was white noise.

No lie.

It was hard to tell what they were playing.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 29, 2013 09:36

I saw them at Wembley in 73 and they basically had 2 speaker stacks on either side of the stage. It was still fairly crude in those days though having said that I saw Floyd at Earls Court earlier that year and they had a fantastic sound system including a quadrophonic set up, employing their famous azimuth co-ordinator. This could shift the sound around the arena to create a surround sound effect.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 29, 2013 09:44

Toronto 1972, 1st show - FANTASTIC sound.

I was under the influence of ergot derivatives so that might have had something to do with it.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: January 29, 2013 10:04

Best sound ever Madison Square Garden 1981. Unbelievable sound

Worst sound ever Carrier Dome 1989. You literally could not tell what song they were playing. It was the worst concert I have ever been to and I have not been to a concert since.

Date: January 29, 2013 10:17

tornnfrayed
Best sound ever Madison Square Garden 1981. Unbelievable sound

Worst sound ever Carrier Dome 1989. You literally could not tell what song they were playing. It was the worst concert I have ever been to and I have not been to a concert since.

That is very interesting! Lots of people have complained about the sound on the 81/82 tour (I was not old enough to catch that tour myself, though).

The 1990 UJ tour had excellent sound on the show I attended. However, judging from soundboard bootlegs, like Barcelona and London, the sound is too clean and totally without any punch or grit.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: January 29, 2013 10:20

GravityBoy

No lie.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 29, 2013 10:44

I was 12 years old when I saw them in a 7000 seat arena in Hawaii. It was the most amazing thing I had ever heard in my life. I grew up in a household with music playing all the time, and my father was a bit of an audiophile, so I knew good sound. The sound was huge and amazingly clear - the only exception that I can recall is that Nicky's piano was difficult to hear in the mix. I clearly remember watching Keith through the binoculars and hearing his riffing on "Rocks Off".

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 29, 2013 12:21

vox12string
Toronto 1972, 1st show - FANTASTIC sound.

I was under the influence of ergot derivatives so that might have had something to do with it.

Er, got you loud and clear Mr vox12string.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 29, 2013 13:28

aprilfool
GravityBoy

No lie.

My ears were not the problem.

The sh*t PA and acoustics were the problem and the fact they were TOO LOUD (trying to break the Who's indoor decibel record).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-29 13:28 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: January 29, 2013 13:55

1972 MSG second show 5th row. LOUD !! My ears rang for 3 days. 40 years and hundreds of rock concerts later and it's still one of the loudest I ever heard. The mix seemed ok but it was so thunderous with head-slicing guitars that any nuance was buried. I loved it.

HBK

Posted by: bam ()
Date: January 29, 2013 14:31

I was on the floor in folding chairs at the International Amphitheater in Chicago. We politely listened to Stevie Wonder warm up, not fully realizing how great he was becoming. The Stones hit the stage. Nothing ever sounded good in that building. Everyone rushed forward through and over the folding chairs. 75 minutes of intene echo-y heaven. Possibly the best concert I've ever been to.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: January 29, 2013 14:52

GravityBoy

GravityBoy

No lie.

My ears were not the problem.

The sh*t PA and acoustics were the problem and the fact they were TOO LOUD (trying to break the Who's indoor decibel record).

It was just a joke. I think it depends of the venues. The audience tapes from paris 76 were very good. My first rolling stones show was paris 1982 and it was an outdoor gig, I can't compare but I saw many shows of different bands in the same venue "Paris les abattoirs" and the sound was very very good,

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 29, 2013 15:02

My first show was 76. The sound was clear, pretty loud and I could identify each number before the vocals started.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-20 16:43 by teleblaster.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 29, 2013 15:33

HouseBoyKnows
1972 MSG second show 5th row. LOUD !! My ears rang for 3 days. 40 years and hundreds of rock concerts later and it's still one of the loudest I ever heard. The mix seemed ok but it was so thunderous with head-slicing guitars that any nuance was buried. I loved it.

HBK

This tallies with the journo from RS who attended one or several 72 shows. He wrote it was so loud he had to put his hands over his ears to be able to tell what song was played...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 29, 2013 15:50

Perth 1973. WACA. I stood, my wife stood ON COKE CANS (she's only 4' 11" tall!). About 20-30 rows back if you could say 'rows' when standing!

Sounded bloody GREAT.

First Stones show. Boots of the show always bring it home to me. But funnily enough, though I loved the whole show, it REALLY TOOK OFF AT You Can't Always get What you Want.

Until then, about 8 or so songs into the show, incl Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Bitch, Tumbling Dice, it FELT to me like the crowd was sort of in disbelief as to how good the band were. They were on song, but a Perth crowd can be a bit reserved.

Then YCAGWYW hit, and "YES, THEY ARE THAT GREAT" - AND OFF WE ALL WENT!! BRILLIANT, BUT SHORT SHOW BY TODAY'S standards.

HOPE to see 'em here again, at least Downunder, in, say, November?

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: January 29, 2013 17:00

I sat in row 8 right of stage MSG/july 72 in front of KR, speakers directly overhead loudest gig I ever heard up to that time
my ears rang for about a month
I can still hear them ringing
RB

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 29, 2013 17:09

As its been mostly arena shows the sound wasn't bad from the 70's on.
Of course it varied in diff. places and where you stood. But most gigs from 73 and 76 I saw (and those were quite a few) had good sound. Sometimes even great. Even 70 was okay.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 29, 2013 17:27

I`m happy to be far to young to answer this question!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 29, 2013 17:40

muenke
I`m happy to be far to young to answer this question!

LOL yeah! But you haven't seen da Stones in their prime. There you go . .

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: January 29, 2013 18:04

Boston Garden, July 1972 the night they got busted. Loud, but we were so tired that by 1am it didnt matter anymore.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 29, 2013 18:11

raise your hand if you are sick and tired of hearing from fans who got to see the stones in their prime in '72.

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: January 29, 2013 18:29

The first Fort Worth show in 1972 was very loud.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 29, 2013 18:51

I thought the sound from the 2 shows I went to was quite good, despite the relatively poor accoustics in the respective buildings. In Chicago at the evening gig on the 20th of June at the Amphitheater I ran down the aisle towards the stage when the Stones came on. The mix down there was excellent. I think they were still using Ampeg? The Denver Coliseum matinee gig with miracle seats up front also had great sound. To a large degree I think where you sit in each venue dictates how the sound is. Loved the guitar sound from that tour with Keith and MT. I didn't think the Stones were exceptionaly loud compared with some other bands in that era. The Who made ears bleed in comparison.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 29, 2013 20:55

I saw them in LA - Forum - loved their Ampeg sound!!! 1972 & 1973 benefit show
still one of my all time favorite show's from memory along with 1969...
they played all night for that one!!!
MLC

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: January 29, 2013 23:12

My first Stones concert was in 1972 so I was in Heaven! They sounded great; they were right there in front of me; Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens was on fire with their sound. Jagger came out wearing a striped, peak-cap. Then came the MUSIC.........grinning smiley

No complaints whatsoever. Even got the programme and a T-shirt!!

No complaints even about lining up on Wood Street for hours on end!!

hot smiley

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home