Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Your thoughts on JACKSON BROWNE
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 28, 2013 07:18

slew
He was very good up until about 1982-83. I love Running On Empty and those songs from the late 70's early 80's. Then he went off on a political tangent and as Elmo Lewis posted above he has become terminal. He takes hiself way too seriously and supposedly he beat Daryl Hannah I don't know if that was ever substantiated and would not effect my opinion of his music but if he did do that what an a-hole.

And this from the man who wrote Take It Easy.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 28, 2013 08:18

Never been a real big fan of his music.

I did see him live once in 1982 at the 1st US Festival and he did put on a good show.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: January 28, 2013 09:33

"For a Dancer" from the Late for the Sky album is an incredible song. The whole album is pretty great, actually.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2013 09:56

Never liked his music. Randy Newman on the other hand...thumbs up

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 28, 2013 10:05

I just have a 'best of' these days - Liked Doctor My Eyes, Running On Empty..........But You're A Friend Of Mine in the 80s was not to my taste. Probably because my father liked it........or maybe it was too chirpy for a sullen teenager! But then I'm not sure if he even wrote that one.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 28, 2013 12:37

SweetThing
tatters
I inadvertently did see him live once. At one of those No Nukes shows at MSG in '79. Graham Nash was better. James Taylor was much better.

The Doobies were better as well. Who else was there that night? Poco, Tom Petty I think. John Hall. Bonnie Raitt. Jesse Colin Young. Springsteen didn't perform the night I went. Basically though, everyone was better.

In fact he was nearly booed off the stage at one point; no exaggeration. And New York's not a tough town if you're playing to the faithful. But once you get people pissed off enough it doesn't stop. MSG probably didn't see another concert fiasco to that extent until Sinead O Connor appeared at Bob Fest straight from tearing up the Pope's picture on SNL. Except Jackson managed to do some of the damage with his music.

I didn't stick around for the Doobies. At midnight they still hadn't gone on. I had classes in the morning and had to catch the last train back to Long Island.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 28, 2013 13:58

Don't remember how exactly I found out about him. I guess I must have read his name in some CD booklet during the early 90s. "I'm Alive" is a pretty good album and sonically, it's near perfect. "Looking East" is very good, too. His 2002 album "The Naked Ride Home" feels almost too relaxed, like he had to stretch the length of the songs with some tasteful instrumental improvisations for the sole reason to make the CD longer. After that one, he lost me.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 28, 2013 15:22

I used to love his work and thought he was a fantastic rock poet. The late 70s through the 80s was my top choice. Then I somehow lost interest. Joni Mitchell says he roughed her up, as well as bashing Darryl Hannah.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 28, 2013 15:32

My thoughts on Jackson Browne are that he is a tedious boor who had two wives commi suicide on him and apparently was highly abusive to other women. What a class act.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 28, 2013 16:09

Come on you guys. Those allegations by Daryl Hannah have been retracted.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 28, 2013 16:11

I like the Byrds covers of Jamaica Say You Will, and Mae Jean goes to Hollywood.

Date: January 28, 2013 16:26

R
My thoughts on Jackson Browne are that he is a tedious boor who had two wives commi suicide on him and apparently was highly abusive to other women. What a class act.

Are you saying that his second wife Lynne Sweeney committed suicide? There is no account of that easily available.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 28, 2013 16:33

Was a big fan thru his first 4 or 5 albums; thereafter lost interest in his work or maybe just bored

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 28, 2013 16:54

R
My thoughts on Jackson Browne are that he is a tedious boor who had two wives commi suicide on him and apparently was highly abusive to other women. .

if that ain't rocknroll, i don't know what to tell you

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2013 16:57

lazzzybones
Wimpish and wordy like his mate Paul Simon.

and yet I actually quite like Paul Simon...Browne is missing something, or something.

Date: January 28, 2013 17:08

oh, please. the man has a lovely singing voice. surely we can all at least come together on this point.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 28, 2013 17:10

treaclefingers
lazzzybones
Wimpish and wordy like his mate Paul Simon.

and yet I actually quite like Paul Simon...Browne is missing something, or something.

He's missing that certain something.

Date: January 28, 2013 17:12

T&A
oh, please. the man has a lovely singing voice. surely we can all at least come together on this point.

I put Jackson Browne and Mariah Carey on a pedestal.

Date: January 28, 2013 17:16

treaclefingers
T&A

dearly beloved, we are gathered here today...

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: January 28, 2013 17:30

'Somebody's Baby' - Was that recorded for the Fast Times At Ridgemont High soundtrack specifically, or was it released beforehand?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 28, 2013 18:18

Bliss, I was just going to post exactly what you said about him beating up on Joni..and yes, a wife did kill herself and I believe it was due to his abuse, both emotional & physical. And JONI is not UGLY! GEEEE!!!
I think his music is OK, some good material, saw him with Bonnie Raitt and they did a killer " Angel FroM Montgomery" together!

Date: January 28, 2013 18:35

T&A
treaclefingers
T&A

dearly beloved, we are gathered here today...

...to get through this thing called life. Electric word life it means forever and that's a mighty long time, so if you call up the shrink in Beverly Hills you know the one doctor ev'ry-thing'll-be-alright...or something.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: January 28, 2013 18:47

I met him several times in the streets and bars near home. (he was living in Barcelona. Love took there.
Once I met him in the audience of a CSN concert, Barcelona july 2005. We had been talking for a while. Peter Frampton join CSN as a guest star. He was playing in Barcelona on the following day. We met again at Peter Frampton gig wearing the same t-shirt.
I saw him on stage several times in Barcelona and a couple of gigs were excellent. I recommend the "Cantame mis canciones" CD album available at amazon. It's a Jackson Browne covers album by various spanish artist. It was recorded in 1998 at the time he was living in Barcelona.

Date: January 28, 2013 18:55

you'll have to forgive him...he's from barcelona

Date: January 28, 2013 20:13

mickschix
Bliss, I was just going to post exactly what you said about him beating up on Joni..and yes, a wife did kill herself and I believe it was due to his abuse, both emotional & physical. And JONI is not UGLY! GEEEE!!!
I think his music is OK, some good material, saw him with Bonnie Raitt and they did a killer " Angel FroM Montgomery" together!

Yes, but R said two of Browne's wives killed themselves. Joni was very beautiful in her younger days.

Date: January 28, 2013 20:18

Bliss
Joni was very beautiful in her younger days.

we all were

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 28, 2013 20:19

T&A
Bliss

we all were

Not me. I'm just coming into my own now

Date: January 28, 2013 20:25

Munichhilton
T&A
Bliss

we all were

you're own what?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 28, 2013 20:26

T&A
Munichhilton
T&A
Bliss

we all were

you're own what?

Google it. Its worth it

Date: January 28, 2013 20:34

Munichhilton
T&A
Munichhilton
T&A
Bliss

we all were

you're own what?

Google it. Its worth it

i'm a little light today, so i'll just hundred it

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home