Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Your thoughts on JACKSON BROWNE
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 27, 2013 21:12

When did YOU first discover Jackson Browne?
I think it's quite difficult to single out one favorite from such a fabulous songwriter, a guy who in the early 70's amazed many rock stars.

My favorite is probably The Pretender,one of the great songs for anyone who has been, is or knows a true working man.

Re: OT: Your thoughts on JACKSON BROWNE
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 27, 2013 21:22

i like him. one of my best friend's brother was his best friend in high school. rock me on the water was partly inspired by him....

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 27, 2013 21:22

"These Days" is a remarkable song to have been written by a sixteen-year-old, but mostly I find him quite boring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-27 22:30 by tatters.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 27, 2013 21:25

I've tried over the years to get into his music, but just cant..... don't know why-- he seems talented, surrounds himself with good musicians, but for me there is something missing....don't know what it is.
Did like the song 'Lawyers in Love", but that's about it........

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: January 27, 2013 21:39

Have seen him in concert a couple times. He's at his best when he performs on his own. He basically lets the audience determine the set list. He's equally adept at the piano and acoustic guitar.

His voice is as strong as ever, but his songwriting peaked in the 1970's.

Late For The Sky is an outstanding track, and that LP is arguably his strongest.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 27, 2013 21:41

Every time my wife is in her Jackson Browne mood, I run for cover. I like his politics and enjoy his banter.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 27, 2013 22:37

Loved his work from the beginning up until about the Lawyers In Love album.

Saw him play a great show once.

Personal favorites:

"Jamaica Say You Will"
"The Pretender"
"In The Shape Of A Heart"
"For A Rocker"

Unfortunately, I have named a disease for him "Jackson Browne Disease" - symptoms are:

1. A former great rocker who begins to take himself too seriously and thinks he is an "artiste".

2. Write more and more political songs.

3. Becomes a bore

Some victims:

Jackson himself
Bob Seger - WTF?
Bruce - recovers and relapses often
Mellencamp - terminal
Bono - Also terminal
Steve Earle - Also terminal

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 27, 2013 22:42

Elmo Lewis

Personal favorites:

"Jamaica Say You Will"
"The Pretender"
"For A Rocker"

Unfortunately, I have named a disease for him "Jackson Browne Disease" - symptoms are:

1. A former great rocker who begins to take himself too seriously and thinks he is an "artiste".

3. Becomes a bore

Some victims:

Jackson himself
Bob Seger - WTF?
Mellencamp - terminal
Bono - Also terminal

Great post Elmo Lewis, I agree he takes himself way to seriously now. But I do love his early stuff. He was hugely popular in the States, don't know about elsewhere. Plus, he was so darn cute back then. grinning smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 27, 2013 22:47

i love him
classmate revealed him to me
changed my life emotionally

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 27, 2013 22:49

latebloomer
Elmo Lewis

Personal favorites:

"Jamaica Say You Will"
"The Pretender"
"For A Rocker"

3. Becomes a bore

Some victims:

Jackson himself
Bob Seger - WTF?
Mellencamp - terminal
Bono - Also terminal

Great post Elmo Lewis, I agree he takes himself way to seriously now. But I do love his early stuff. He was hugely popular in the States, don't know about elsewhere. Plus, he was so darn cute back then. grinning smiley

Ya oughta see me! cool smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 27, 2013 22:49

Love him. Going to see him Feb.6 in a solo show in San Francisco.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 27, 2013 23:05

I'm completely unaware of his politics or what he's up to now, but I will sometimes still give a listen to his work up to 1982. A talented songwriter and a solid musician.

Date: January 27, 2013 23:23

I love how even the American Bandstand kids don't seem to really know how to dance to music this dreary.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 27, 2013 23:33

tatters
I love how even the American Bandstand kids don't seem to really know how to dance to music this dreary.

Well, maybe some of it was a bit dreary in retrospect, but I don't think he was that interested in dance music. It wasn't his style.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 27, 2013 23:34

Whew...for a mnute there, I actually thought Tatters and I would agree on a song.

Thanks maumau, good to know that someone with the "soul of a poet" is in this forum.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 27, 2013 23:41

I'm a fan. Running on Empty is a magnificent album.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 27, 2013 23:45

bob r
I've tried over the years to get into his music, but just cant..... don't know why-- .....

Same for me, he has a couple decent songs but I don't really ever listen to him.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 27, 2013 23:50

We were at a show and someone kept shouting out for "Too Late For The Sky." The guy was getting annoying. Finally, Jackson said "First of all the song is titled "Late For The Sky..." which got a laugh from the audience. Browne's repartee with the audience is very enjoyable.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: January 27, 2013 23:56

HE'S FANTASTIC..GET SOLO ACOUSTIC RECORDS..
INCREDIBLE SONGWRITER !

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 28, 2013 00:26

Enjoy several of his songs, but never been a huge fan. Saw him a couple of times...first time as part of the Amnesty International Concert at The Forum in Los Angeles in 1986 - he played solo acoustic, very political stuff.

Next time was in 2002 when he and his band opened for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. We got there early (at The Forum again) and he was just starting his soundcheck...he didn't realize they were going to be letting folks in, so he invited everyone to come down and sit close. He was very cool and it was like a mini-concert before the actual concert...and he ended up playing a few things that weren't in his set later that evening.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: January 28, 2013 00:32

Musically, he doesn't do much for me.thumbs down

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 28, 2013 01:23

He's a great singer songwriter. Saw him about 4 years ago in a good 2,5 hours concert.

This is a good song by Jackson Browne

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 28, 2013 02:35

Saw him in August, sold out theater show and an hour into people handfuls of people started leaving. People seemed bored and pissed that he was not playing anything familiar. I was working the show and you get a sense where people are having a good or bad time. Very uninspiring.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: January 28, 2013 02:53

Most famous Daryl Hannah beater I know of.

Date: January 28, 2013 04:15

I inadvertently did see him live once. At one of those No Nukes shows at MSG in '79. Graham Nash was better. James Taylor was much better.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2013 04:20

bob r
I've tried over the years to get into his music, but just cant..... don't know why-- he seems talented, surrounds himself with good musicians, but for me there is something missing....don't know what it is.
Did like the song 'Lawyers in Love", but that's about it........

I feel the same way...something is missing keeping me from enjoying.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: January 28, 2013 05:46

tatters
I inadvertently did see him live once. At one of those No Nukes shows at MSG in '79. Graham Nash was better. James Taylor was much better.

The Doobies were better as well. Who else was there that night? Poco, Tom Petty I think. John Hall. Bonnie Raitt. Jesse Colin Young. Springsteen didn't perform the night I went. Basically though, everyone was better.

In fact he was nearly booed off the stage at one point; no exaggeration. And New York's not a tough town if you're playing to the faithful. But once you get people pissed off enough it doesn't stop. MSG probably didn't see another concert fiasco to that extent until Sinead O Connor appeared at Bob Fest straight from tearing up the Pope's picture on SNL. Except Jackson managed to do some of the damage with his music.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 28, 2013 06:20

He was very good up until about 1982-83. I love Running On Empty and those songs from the late 70's early 80's. Then he went off on a political tangent and as Elmo Lewis posted above he has become terminal. He takes hiself way too seriously and supposedly he beat Daryl Hannah I don't know if that was ever substantiated and would not effect my opinion of his music but if he did do that what an a-hole.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 28, 2013 06:52

He's got the slow songs that sound the same (For Everyman, Before the Deluge, The Pretender, etc.), the fast ones that sound the same (Redneck Friend, Running on Empty, etc.) and not much else. The most interesting thing about his records was David Lindley.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: January 28, 2013 06:57

Wimpish and wordy like his mate Paul Simon.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home