Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

pink floyd
Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: January 27, 2005 15:44

Watched the DVD "Pulse" last night. It was recorded on their last tour in 94 at Earl's Court. Having never seen them live I was amazed at just how polished they were. Even without Waters the show looked and sounded awesome. Too bad we'll probably never see them again (too old and disinterested) because they were among the very best at their craft, particularly live judging from that dvd. It just seems they were such serious musicians and showmen. I know Waters is still active, what about Gilmour, Wright, Mason?

Re: pink floyd
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 27, 2005 16:05

I have a DVD of Gilmour from 2002 of him playing live in London, its really good he even does solo songs from other members of the band including Syd Barrett. Floyd is one of my favorite bands but I must say as Stones fans we should not complain about them live because Floyd is the ultimate "big production" on stage. They have tons of backing musicians and their songs run the same exact time to the minute each night. But with their music they sort of need that. Also with the exception of the song Astonomy they will never play any songs pre- Dark Side of The Moon, which in my opinion were their best years. Obscured By Clouds, Aton Heart Mother, More, Meddle and so on. I would be surprised if they got back together but Gilmour did say on the DVD I have they he has written over 100 new songs that he would like to do something with, so maybe a solo album is possible.

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: January 27, 2005 17:00

Is Pulse officially released on DVD recently??

Sjouke

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 27, 2005 18:23

A couple of months ago there were rumours that Pink Floyd was reuniting. With Waters and Gilmour.

Roger Waters on his own is very boring. But Gilmour is one of the best guitarist of the rock era. I hope I can see him live, just once.

Date: January 27, 2005 18:28

There have been rumours like that for years. I would like to see them reunite but I don't think they have any desire to play together again. If you want to see a great Floyd DVD check out Live in Pompei. Its one of the best things they have ever put out.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 27, 2005 20:39

Pulse and Live in pompei are both good, but to be honest Pink Floyd were never a really good live band. There records are amazing, but I think they never kept the same magic live. Said that, I get a kick of PULSE - but thank the show as well.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 27, 2005 20:52

Of course I can't deny that for many good reasons PF are a big name in rock history, gilmor is considered a guitar hero etc. etc. but their music bores me to death!

Plus I always feel a negative vibe when I listen to their music.

Never saw them live as a band, but I saw Waters and that was more than enough for me: everything was so calculated that it was like going to the movies!

Still I respect their music.

C

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 27, 2005 20:58

Their Animals tour shows tended to be mastodonic..

:-)

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Date: January 27, 2005 21:03

I am a big Floyd fan but I don't think I'd ever go to see a solo Waters show.
liddas, I can see why that would be more than enough for you. Seems like it would be quite a boring show.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 27, 2005 21:09

I saw Waters a few years ago. It quite enjoyable. Even his solo stuff with which I'm unfamiliar.

Waters hinted VERY STRONGLY a few months back that there would be a "huge money making tour this summer" or something like that, hinting that they were mending fences. Waters is a workaholic and maybe now he'd like to regroup but ironically Gilmour is fat and happy and appears to have no desire to do so.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 27, 2005 21:10

Pink Floyd were over in 1968 when Syd Barrett left.

Date: January 27, 2005 21:24

" Pink Floyd were over in 1968 when Syd Barrett left."

Yeah...whatever...

Date: January 27, 2005 21:26

In my opinion when he left is when they started the best years 1968 to 1973, similar to the Stones.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 28, 2005 00:34

Indeed...

The first Floyd album is overrated. It's not what Pink Floyd stands for (according to me).

Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Meddle,... are much more intresting and enjoyable.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 28, 2005 00:53

I'd disagree that PF weren't a great live band,
at least not back in the day. The live bootlegs
from shows up til about 1973 reveal a great
experimental avante garde group that wasn't
afraid to push the envelope. Their studio
album versions pale to what they were
able to do in concert with pieces
like Atom Heart Mother, Echos,
One of These Days, Careful
With That Axe, the list goes
on and on. After that, I myself
found them increasingly formula.
None of them benefited from the
split, artisitically wise. The recently
released Pompeii Concert DVD gives an excellent audio visual
snapshot of them at their best, tho for my money I still
prefer the original version, available as a bonus, on
the reissued, tinkered with, new DVD package, like when
it was theatrically released in the early 70's.

I wasn't aware that Pulse had been offically released
on DVD yet! Are you sure it isn't a bootleg? These
shows were fun, not without merit, but the bands
really a shadow of their former self IMHO.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 28, 2005 05:58

davido, I agree with you about floyd prior to Darkside. They were awesome, and many songs did actually sound better onstage than in the studio. I think they were always more visually spectacular than anything, what with the lights, and films, pretty advanced stuff for the 70's. And then of course the wall. I thought the live versions were better, but I recommend to anyone to try and get a boot video of one of the shows. They must have been awesome to physically see. Btw, I think my favorite era of floyd is probably 1969-1973. I think if you went to see them, it was likely you'd hear different arrangements of the songs.

Date: January 28, 2005 06:19

Yes Happy Jack! The live Amsterdam 69 boot, sometimes
called Man and the Journey was a suite of alt
versions of their songs up to that point,
seemingly arranged as if on an unreleased
concept album. That's a big favourite of mine,
as well as the live London BBC shows and Montreux
dates in the early seventies. I'm quire surprised
they haven't officially released any of this, IMHO
it's amongst their best stuff!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 28, 2005 08:12

Question regarding Earls Court and Wembley Arena. In North America, the major rinks are used for hockey and basketball. What are these arenas used for? What is the capacity of both venues?

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 28, 2005 18:43

Davido, I totally agree about Amsterdam 69. I just got the complete performance (w/o the announcer speaking over parts and the stuff edited out of the broadcast) and it is awesome. That show must have been a sight. I especially like the very end part where rick wright is playing the concergebeouws pipe organ.

Date: January 28, 2005 18:46

I saw them in 1971. Very minimal lighting. Mostly just pink and blue. ...and loooong songs. Though they did have a quad sound system. That was interesting.

Date: January 29, 2005 00:59

Yes, they brought out some quad versions of their
albums too, which would make for great SACD or DVD A
remaster/ reissues. Zappa recorded a lot of his shows
in quad. Listen to the recent release of Halloween.
One only can hope the Floyd can do the same for
some of their shows from 69-73!!!!!! Wow,
wouldn't that be amazing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home