Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Between the Buttons
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 27, 2005 01:14

Outside of Dirty Work , I've been listening to a lot of the early stuff latley. I noticed that Between the Buttons has a different overall sound and feel vs. Aftermath, Decemeber's Children et al.It seems to lack the echo that the other discs had and the guitars seem more "electric" and distorted. YOu can feel a change is in the works of their overall sound and approach on this disc. Something Happened To Me is cool is it;s use of Mick and Keith's vocals...to be reprised on Memory Motel. Some of the other songs could have been tired and their format overused but instead seem really fresh (All Sold Out, Who's Been Sleeping Here, Amanda Jones).

There was something different about these sessions. Was it that Keith was exercising more influence, a different engineer, no Andrew?
I find the disc to be a really pop disc but it's a great one none the less. I like how Mick is goofing on Paul McBoring at the end of Something Happened to Me.

Is there a boot of material from these sessions?

Re: Between the Buttons
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 27, 2005 01:36

no outtakes really from those sessions (that I know of...). Your assessment seems accurate. BTB is an album that grows and grows on you (like all good albums). it's one that you will find something new in with every listen. highly underrated and under-appreciate, IMO. the Stones were really beginning to distance themselves from the British Invasion second-raters....

Date: January 27, 2005 02:56

There are outtakes from Between The Buttons, along w/the same from Aftermath.

You must remember that December's Children is a compendium of leftover stuff, sort of like an early version of Tattoo You. It's a bunch of singles and disparate studio leftovers. I think December's Children ranks among their best albums because it displays all their playing styles to their best advantage.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 27, 2005 09:08

Between The Buttons has always been one of my favourite Stones albums. Yesterday's Papers and Backstreet Girl are two of my very favourite Stones songs. Mick sings a lot softer on this album also - his distinctive raw vocals are missing.
The songs are as strong as Aftermath but i feel Aftermath makes for a much more varied listen.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 27, 2005 09:24

Buttons has always been an under-rated album IMHO.
It comes right after their critically-acclaimed master-piece, Aftermath album and had massive shoes to fill !
A bit like Goats Head Soup is after Exile....both under-rated basically because everyone was expecting a better (or as good) an album as the one before.
The band sound like they are having fun.....not too many poor songs which can drag an album down.

Esky

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: January 27, 2005 11:16

hey, Mr Watts' drawing is on the back.....

fab and my fav album!

the juf

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 27, 2005 12:33

It's a pure Beatles album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2005 12:48

The punky early demo and the 3.04 instrumental version of Yesterdays Papers are well worth tracking down.

Both found on

Have You Heard The Outtakes,Baby, Recorded In The Shadows
Invasion Unlimited - IU9533-1

Or

The Black Box - Special Mellenium Edition
Yellow Dog - YD046/8 2000

ROCKMAN

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 27, 2005 15:30

Also, I've read somewhere that one person considered
Between the Buttons, the Charlie Watts Solo Album.....
He does have a point in a funny way ...
Charlie did the cartoon and his drums are up in the mix
on several tunes ...
Charlie sounded good that night, didn't he?

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: January 27, 2005 16:21

Thanks Rockman. Is Backstreet Girl on the British release? It's not on the copy I own

Date: January 27, 2005 16:48

I wan't necessarily comparing the content of BTB to other older discs but the sound and feel of it. The sound is different.

Posted by: hot stuff ()

i love btb, aftermath and dec. childern.. i still think they are some of the stones best work.. no one but the stones could have pulled off those songs..
get the 2002 remastered versions by sony....they sound amazing!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()

It's on the UK version

Date: January 27, 2005 19:49

Is there a good boot out there that has a comprehensive set of the songs recorded during BTB and before Santanic? A disc with Who's Driving your Plane, Backstreet Girl, all the stuff from BTB and We Love You. My PC is deader than Rush's comeback attempt so I can't download right now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home