Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2002 Sessions in Paris - they did record 30+ songs !
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 25, 2013 14:24

Some of us probably remember Keith coming out of the Paris 2002 sessions at the Guillaume Tell studios (May 13 - June 7) saying that it was the best music that they had recorded in years (well they hadn't recorded together since 1997 after all) and that they had more than 30 songs (actually Ronnie may have said that...), anyway I was taking a peek at my Four Flicks DVD for the first time in years and noticed this during the "Don't Stop" segment :

So it seems that they did indeed record 38 songs, of which only 7 have surfaced, including two jams :

1. Don't Stop
2. Keys To Your Love
3. Stealing My Heart
4. Losing My Touch
5. Extreme Western Grip
6. Well Well
7. Hurricane

Looking at the above picture, it seems they might have taken another shot at..."Still in Love" that was first attempted in 1979, again in 1982 and again in 1985 (aka Ralph's Tune).

Anyone ever heard any of these other 31 unreleased tracks/jams on some uncirculating tapes out there?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-08 10:37 by gotdablouse.

Re: 2002 Sessions in Paris - they did record 30+ songs !
Date: January 25, 2013 14:31

gotdablouse
Some of us probably remember Keith coming out of the Paris 2002 sessions at the Guillaume Tell studios (May 13 - June 7) saying that it was the best music that they had recorded in years (well they hadn't recorded together since 1997 after all) and that they had more than 30 songs (actually Ronnie may have said that...), anyway I was taking a peak at my Four Flicks DVD for the first time in years and noticed this during the "Don't Stop" segment :

So it seems that they did indeed record 38 songs, of which only 7 have surfaced, including two jams :

1. Don't Stop
2. Keys To Your Love
3. Stealing My Heart
4. Losing My Touch
5. Extreme Western Grip
6. Well Well
7. Hurricane

Looking at the above picture, it seems they might have taken another shot at..."Still in Love" that was first attempted in 1979, again in 1982 and again in 1985 (aka Ralph's Tune).

Anyone ever heard any of these other 31 unreleased tracks/jams on some uncirculating tapes out there?

Might be several versions of some of the songs. Nice find, though! thumbs up

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: January 25, 2013 15:05

On the other hand if the four that surfaced were the best of the lot do you really want to hear the other 20 something songs?

Date: January 25, 2013 15:09

36. "I only found out yesterday" is this one, right?

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 25, 2013 15:10

I was there and I remember hearing the birth of Don't Stop.
It was kinda Start Me Up squeezed in diferent ways before coming slowly to Don't Stop. Hours of work

Of course I didn't hear everything, but yes, I'd love to hear more from these sessions.

The outtakes of Some Girls make a great "new album" so there might be a couple more good songs in the 30+ we do not know yet

Date: January 25, 2013 15:12

Doc
It was kinda Start Me Up squeezed in diferent ways before coming slowly to Don't Stop. Hours of work

Of course I didn't hear everything, but yes, I'd love to hear more from these sessions.

The outtakes of Some Girls make a great "new album" so there might be a couple more good songs in the 30+ we do not know yet

You were inside or outside the studio??

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 25, 2013 15:22

RE "I only found".

Would that be "I only found out yesterday" that was featured in "Shine A Light"?

Date: January 25, 2013 15:42

vudicus
RE "I only found".

Would that be "I only found out yesterday" that was featured in "Shine A Light"?

I think so. See my post above.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 25, 2013 15:43

vudicus
RE "I only found".

Yes, it would. Also featured in Pirates of the Caribbean.

You'll hear it quoted all over the Internet that this tune is the old sea shanty "Spanish Ladies". Sounds nothing like it to me - what does anyone else think?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 25, 2013 15:43

DandelionPowderman
vudicus
RE "I only found".

I think so. See my post above.

Ahh, not sure how I managed to miss that. I think I need a strong coffee!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 25, 2013 16:13

"Still In..." Recut... maybe a re-working of the Paris Outtake "Still in love with You" ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-25 16:14 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 25, 2013 16:32

Nice detective work

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: January 25, 2013 16:58

ryanpow
"Still In..." Recut... maybe a re-working of the Paris Outtake "Still in love with You" ?

Do you mean "Still in Love"? Yes there are three known different generations that's what I posted in my first message above ;-)

@DandelionPowderman - I didn't remember "I only found out yesterday", is it a bonus on SAL, or at the end? Need to look at it again ;-)

@Doc - I didn't realize you could hear anything when standing outside at Guillaume Tell in Suresnes, did they leave the doors open at times? The people who were in Bondy and who'd been to Suresnes in August when D&G and OMS were recorded said they couldn't hear anything.

James Kirk
On the other hand if the four that surfaced were the best of the lot do you really want to hear the other 20 something songs?

Absolutely! Can't be worse than listening to the 4 90 minute cassettes of the Rotterdam De Doelen tapes ;-) Hopefully someone got to keep a mixdown on a CD or K7 like Chuch Magee did for the SW sessions and that tape finally surfaced in 2006...

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: January 25, 2013 17:25

DandelionPowderman
Doc

Inside, what a question. You just have to ask and they say "come in"

Posted by: steini ()
Date: January 25, 2013 17:52

Sometimes you don´t have to ask.. they invite you + c.a. 15 others in for a listen!

Date: January 25, 2013 19:08

When they are recording (not rehearsing)? 16 people, huh...where was that?

The only time when they, allegedly, let people in is when they were recording DW in Boulogne in 1985 and the details are not very clear (full band or only a few of them?) but there is apparently a video tape made by a fan through the mixing desk so it must have happened.

Date: January 25, 2013 19:56

aprilfool
DandelionPowderman
Doc

Inside, what a question. You just have to ask and they say "come in"

Well, they started doing that, didn't they?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 25, 2013 20:04

James Kirk

I certainly would but some here want to chop A Bigger Bang down to 10 or 12 songs so they probably could care less.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 25, 2013 20:38

gotdablouse

1. Don't Stop
2. Keys To Your Love
3. Stealing My Heart
4. Losing My Touch
5. Extreme Western Grip
6. Well Well

7. Hurricane

Nice work gotdablouse.

But I can't sign off when we say that "Extreme Western Grip" and "Well Well Well" were actual songs. Like you said, they were nothing but a few passing jams. And that's exactly what they were. There were no lyrics of any kind and absolutely no chord changes in any of those tunes...so "songs"..they ain't! Just because each of them were given names doesn't really sell me. We could be generous and give it to them but if it's come to the point where these days we count something as lame as those jams as actual "songs"...that's a sad state of affairs. We must REALLY be desperate for more new music from them!

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: January 25, 2013 21:24

gotdablouse
When they are recording (not rehearsing)? 16 people, huh...where was that?

The only time when they, allegedly, let people in is when they were recording DW in Boulogne in 1985 and the details are not very clear (full band or only a few of them?) but there is apparently a video tape made by a fan through the mixing desk so it must have happened.
I know 2 guys who had the chance to go inside the studio but not on the same day. If I remember well, he took pictures inside but using flash was not allowed. The second one had to leave his camera outside the studio. It was the last day of the sessions. There is a third guy who filmed outside with his private movie camera. He is on this board.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 25, 2013 21:53

Dominique Tarlé who was in the studio said they recorded 20 songs "quasi definitive" ...( with a Meters song"Love is for me")

Date: January 25, 2013 22:06

Dominique Tarlé popped in at Guillaume Tell in 2002 ? Great ! I wonder why he didn't show up in Bondy then...they certainly would have welcomed him. He also queued up at the Virgin for the Trabendo, maybe he wanted to...

@justin - yeah these are two jams and I'm not sure they're included in that list of 38 songs, probably are. There might be some more structured songs though, "Still in Love" fits that bill.

@aprilfool - you're referring to the 1985 DW sessions in Boulogne? Stuff of legends ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-25 22:20 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 25, 2013 23:45

Justin
Like you said, they were nothing but a few passing jams. And that's exactly what they were. There were no lyrics of any kind and absolutely no chord changes in any of those tunes...so "songs"..they ain't! Just because each of them were given names doesn't really sell me.

Could it be like the Paris 77/78 bottom of the barrel material that ended on boots like "Place Pigalle 5-6" : loose mundane riffs played over and over for 3-4 minutes.

In 1979 Keith gave interviews where he said "we recorded 40 songs in Paris". I'm sure he counted these riffs as songs. cool smiley

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 26, 2013 00:19

The possibility that several songs were dug up again for A Bigger Bang, is also possible.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 26, 2013 02:16

Doc

So can you explain what happened?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 26, 2013 02:17

GasLightStreet
Doc

it was still-born

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 26, 2013 02:36

T&A
GasLightStreet
Doc

it was still-born

t&a is back!!!!!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 26, 2013 04:16

gotdablouse
ryanpow

Do you mean "Still in Love"? Yes there are three known different generations that's what I posted in my first message above ;-)

Of course, I missed that reading too fast in the morning. I would be interested in hearing that one get finished up. Always liked the outtake I have which I believe is from 79. It has mick singing on it. its really just part of a song but I like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-26 04:20 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 26, 2013 08:23

The studio backdorr was open and you could hear almost evrything.
They started riffing, made the riff evolve into another riff and so on
Then Mick started mumbling something that wasn't real lyrics
If I remember well I heard them work on it at least 2 days (not continually of course) but when a few friends and I heard the final cut on FL we immediately new what it was.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 26, 2013 10:50

Excellent post Gotdablouse
I pleaded several Times for still in love to be released. A gem with great piano.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home