Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2009 Universal Remasters question
Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:03

I was thinking of upgrading some of my Stones discs from the 94 remasters and wanted to know what the verdict on these was. I hear some like Emotional Rescue sound better than ever but some are too loud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-26 20:42 by gomper076.

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:10

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 16:05 by midnrambler.

Re: 2009 Virgin Remasters question
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:16

Don't throw away your old copy of Goats Head Soup. To the best of my knowledge, unless something has changed, there isn't a version of the remaster with an un-edited "Star Star". I know one is un-edited until the John Wayne line, and they pump the volume up in the guitars and drown out Mick's voice so the line is mostly gone from the mix. There's another that has a really strange edit on the "betcha keep your p%$$y clean". They really butcher the edit by inserting a second line of Mick singing so it sounds jumbled and strange. The first time I heard it I thought I had a defective CD, it's terrible. Apparently it's the actual U.S. radio version from the time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2013 09:46

I think the general consensus is that in most cases you will be 'downgrading' not upgrading going with 2009's because of the brickwalling.

If you have the Virgin remasters you're good.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 25, 2013 10:17

This topic was discussed to death

Here you have vox populi for 6 pages
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 25, 2013 10:38

Both 1994 Virgin remasters and 2009 UMG remasters are very overrated IMO.
But if I had to choose I would pick the Virgin remasters because they're a bit less compressed than their UMG counterparts which are terrible according to most accounts... (plus original artwork is very well reproduced on Virgin's)

If you're looking for a real upgrade try to get the CBS CD"s from the 80's (not all are on par but for instance GHS and ER sound really nice on this edition)... The Japanese SACD's released in 2011 with flat transfer from original master tapes would be a real upgrade though but they are very expensive.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 25, 2013 10:57

NoCode0680
Don't throw away your old copy of Goats Head Soup. To the best of my knowledge, unless something has changed, there isn't a version of the remaster with an un-edited "Star Star". I know one is un-edited until the John Wayne line, and they pump the volume up in the guitars and drown out Mick's voice so the line is mostly gone from the mix. There's another that has a really strange edit on the "betcha keep your p%$$y clean". They really butcher the edit by inserting a second line of Mick singing so it sounds jumbled and strange. The first time I heard it I thought I had a defective CD, it's terrible. Apparently it's the actual U.S. radio version from the time.

I truly hate that version and don't undertand it either. A song that has dozens of F words becomes offensive when p$$$y is said????

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 25, 2013 11:03

I actually like the UMC Sticky Fingers! Made me jump fiorst time I PLAYed it. Yes - it's LOUD. And "compressed"...but I like it. The rest.... mmmm and GOATS IS a travesty because of that Star Star editing....

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 25, 2013 12:50

NoCode0680

The censored version was only on the first batch of re-releases. It changed back to the normal version afterwards.

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 25, 2013 19:10

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-06 16:05 by midnrambler.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: January 25, 2013 22:02

midnrambler
Blueranger

The censored version was only on the first batch of re-releases. It changed back to the normal version afterwards.

But only in the USA.

I know it's butchered, but it's the version that sounds normal to me and I wouldn't mind getting hold of a digital version. Can you tell me what to look for? I'll buy a copy if I ever see it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-25 22:10 by blivet.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: January 25, 2013 22:12

I like the sudden loud guitars, always have. I figured it was intentional from the get-go.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 26, 2013 02:42

1993-2006

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 26, 2013 02:59

Blueranger
NoCode0680

Right, but that version still has the John Wayne line edited, unless there's a third version that I don't know of that's completely unedited.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 26, 2013 03:34

send me your 94 discs and I GLADLY give you Universals smiling smiley

Date: January 26, 2013 11:43

GasLightStreet
1993-2006

Thread titling is quite misleading. The last Stones release on Virgin Records was Biggest Mistake CD single and 7" vinyl on August 21, 2006...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 26, 2013 12:29

Heaven for some, I'm sure.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Date: January 26, 2013 18:32

kowalski
GasLightStreet
1993-2006

Thread titling is quite misleading. The last Stones release on Virgin Records was Biggest Mistake CD single and 7" vinyl on August 21, 2006...

Ha ha. Yeah, ha, that's why I did that quasi-lifespan... Not sure why they thought it was Virgin that did the 2009 remasters. Either a simple mistake or didn't/don't know and just assummed?

Re: 2009 Universal Remasters question
Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: January 26, 2013 20:41

I never heard the censored version of Star Star. Since it was replaced after the first batch of pressings is there anywhere else to hear it?

I also hear that his is the best version of the Emotional Rescue cd's. Not sure if that's true.

Date: January 26, 2013 21:00

The best CD version of Emotional Rescue is the CBS/Columbia CD released in the 80's. No compression or limiting and full dynamic range.

Date: January 27, 2013 01:30

kowalski
The best CD version of Emotional Rescue is the CBS/Columbia CD released in the 80's. No compression or limiting and full dynamic range.

You're starting to make me think that getting those damn CDs again is a must.

Date: January 27, 2013 04:07

GasLightStreet
kowalski

They're the best sounding CD's of the Stones 70's albums to my ears (and a few others apparently) mainly because they all feature a clear "open" sound which is not compressed (in order to make it louder).
However all are not sounding the same because they were mastered for CD by different engineers. Those featuring the best sound are maybe ER, GHS, IORR, Exile and Undercover. Depending on your listening habits Sticky and Some Girls may sound not so good... though I like a lot SG in this series.
They're still easy to find and on second hand market sell for nothing. winking smiley

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 27, 2013 13:17

I see there's a bunch of new 2012 sacd uploaded into the 'Internet library' from japan. Is this old releases done again?m

Date: January 27, 2013 17:04

"'Internet library' from japan" ? What's this?

Date: January 27, 2013 18:06

kowalski
GasLightStreet
kowalski

They're the best sounding CD's of the Stones 70's albums to my ears (and a few others apparently) mainly because they all feature a clear "open" sound which is not compressed (in order to make it louder).
However all are not sounding the same because they were mastered for CD by different engineers. Those featuring the best sound are maybe ER, GHS, IORR, Exile and Undercover. Depending on your listening habits Sticky and Some Girls may sound not so good... though I like a lot SG in this series.
They're still easy to find and on second hand market sell for nothing. winking smiley

The Virgin Sticky Fingers through Black And Blue, ER, TY and U sounded a lot better to my ears, although the CBS discs sounded fine. Perhaps the compression made some things stick out more, like horns and bass? The Virgins just sound a bit more full. The difference in volume is there but it's more subtle, not like the jump UMe did.

Nothing could help Some Girls, Dirty Work or Steel Wheels, those albums sound neutered, flat and stale. Too bright, too clean, not enough ooomph on the bottom end.

Doesn't it seem strange that Marcussen would remaster the albums to sound so bad when that's what he does? Oh wait, that IS what he does - masters albums beyond listening.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: January 27, 2013 21:48

kowalski
I have seen some Japanese Remasters with 2012 date available from a web site of dubious origin. I wondered if these were possible new releases, remixed.
It's on the pirate ship .... Also known in my house as the 'Internet library' winking smiley

Date: January 27, 2013 21:58

midimannz
kowalski
I have seen some Japanese Remasters with 2012 date available from a web site of dubious origin. I wondered if these were possible new releases, remixed.
It's on the pirate ship .... Also known in my house as the 'Internet library' winking smiley

Got it winking smiley

Latest Stones releases from Japan are the SHM-SACD series released in 2011/2012. Technically they were not remastered but directly transferred from analog tapes to DSD. Some sites from Japan are selling those "flat transferred" files online as well but in high resolution PCM (192kHz/24bit) : [music.e-onkyo.com]

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: January 28, 2013 03:05

I think they remaster these albums over and over and you're not going to get a better sound out of them because of the mix. The bass is nearly non-existent in a lot of the Stones albums. It only seems that certain songs have any bottom end on them at all. You hear the kick drum, but the bass guitar, mid range is often gone. 'Emotional Rescue', 'Dirty Work', 'Steel Wheels', portions of 'Some Girls'. 'Goats Head Soup' needs to be totally remixed, there is no kick drum or any particular bass, nothing but a murky puree at best. Let's see some remixed work!

Date: January 28, 2013 15:53

I don't think they need a remix. Only a proper mastering for digital era, which is yet to be seen...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2013 16:30

I think something packaged as an 'alternate remix' would be interesting, ie with more upfront bass/drums, although commercially not sure of the viability of something like that.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home