Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Memphis (Tennessee ) & the Stones
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:54

I spent several days in Memphis in the late 80"s/early 90's -Thanks to Marc Cohn ..................

It was a long time ago but I still have a strong & vivid memory about us enjoying music .

Did the Stones ever play in Memphis USA ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Memphis (Tennessee ) & the Stones
Date: January 22, 2013 20:57

MLK Memorial Day .

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:58

Long distance information, give me Memphis Tennessee
Help me find the party trying to get in touch with me

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 22, 2013 20:58

I believe they played in 78. There's the bootleg of them playing Hounddog.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:07

I have a boot called "Super Golden Radio Show" that was recorded live in Memphis in 1978. It's the one with Hound Dog. I'm guessing it was a radio broadcast of some sort.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 22, 2013 21:12

They've played there a few times Sway... Most importantly (for me) was in 2005 when they played the FedEx Arena. It was the last time I saw them live and the first (and only) time my wife has seen them live. Cool show as it was the smallest venue I've seen them in.

Good to see you around... Hope all is well for you & yours! My e-mail is still the same. If you get a chance, drop a note!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 23, 2013 01:56

With Scotty Moore @Peabody Hotel, Memphis

Posted by: wambambirmingham ()
Date: January 23, 2013 02:34

They played Memphis on July 4, 1975. It was outdoors, at least 95 degrees and the Stones didn't come on until about 9:00 pm due to a "technical problem." J. Giels opened up for them. Jagger commented that he hoped our next revolution would not go as well as our first one.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: January 23, 2013 02:48

Keith drove to the next gig in Dallas, I believe. Hence, the Fordyce incident. July, '75.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: January 23, 2013 02:51

Three years later, July 4, 1978, they played Buffalo, my third time seeing them

Posted by: mgmiller ()
Date: January 23, 2013 02:52

July 4 1975, the Saturday night before Keith & Ronnie got busted driving thru Arkansas on the way to Texas for the next show. Chronicled in both Keith's and Ronnie"s books. I was in Memphis for that show, the Memphis police threatened them with obscenity charges if they displayed the inflatible penis during "@#$%&" and of course they did and the city of Memphis did nothing. Cool show.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: January 23, 2013 03:50

I was at the Memphis 7/4/75 show - killer show - but hotter'n hell. J Geils did a smokin set - special guest Furry Lewis came out for a couple of acoustic numbers. Snuck a fifth of Jack in tied to my ankle under the super-wide flared jeans we wore back in the day.

Sat in a circle on the field with a couple we didn't know, and the girl took her shirt off, much to our excitement - we tried to talk to her to no avail and after a while she took an English-German dictionary out of her back pocket - couldn't understand a word we said!

Great memories.

Posted by: SWAYZ ()
Date: January 23, 2013 13:54

They played the Pyramid in April of '99. I was there.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 23, 2013 15:20

SwayStones
I spent several days in Memphis in the late 80"s/early 90's -Thanks to Marc Cohn ..................

It was a long time ago but I still have a strong & vivid memory about us enjoying music .

That was kind of Marc to put you up Sway.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 23, 2013 19:10

Me too! Great show...

I remember what seemed like the entire crowd exiting and going down on Beale St. Tongue shirts everywhere.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: January 23, 2013 22:09

April 8 1999 The Pyramid. My first ever (and favourite) Stones show the day after my 23rd birthday.

The crowd were loose and loving it and the band were firing on all cylinders. I remember the huge reaction to "I met a gin soaked bar room queen..." line and like Kovac said it felt like the entire arena walked down to Beale st with lots of "whoo whoo's" being called out in the hot windy night (they had just finished with Sympathy).

Great set list that night too.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 23, 2013 22:19

"Hound Dog" is on the legendary Handsome Girls bootleg.

Memphis is a wonderful place to visit for a music (and barbecue) lover.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 23, 2013 22:43

They played the Liberty Bowl on Sept 27, 1994. I remember because Keith did an interview at the Peabody Motel because they mentioned the duck parade and Bill Wyman's name was brought up and Keith said something to the effect of, "I guess we wore our old bass player out."

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 24, 2013 16:59

jammingedward
April 8 1999 The Pyramid. My first ever (and favourite) Stones show the day after my 23rd birthday.

The crowd were loose and loving it and the band were firing on all cylinders. I remember the huge reaction to "I met a gin soaked bar room queen..." line and like Kovac said it felt like the entire arena walked down to Beale st with lots of "whoo whoo's" being called out in the hot windy night (they had just finished with Sympathy).

Yeah, I remember it being a very warm couple of April days in Memphis, like in the 80s.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 24, 2013 18:22

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 24, 2013 19:22

Davy Crockett came from Tennessee

A Teacher was just preparing her History lesson and says to the class " todays lesson is about American History and who Davy Crocket was"
,David "Davy" Crockett (August 17, 1786 – March 6, 1836) was a 19th century American folk hero, She said to the class now i want someone to tell me something about him, perhaps a little obscure. So a little boy puts his hand up and says " i know that he had 3 ears miss" the teacher said " i don't thinks so Johnny" so he pipes up and say's "yes miss he had a right ear, a left ear and a wild front ear."

Date: January 24, 2013 22:26

jammingedward

That was one of the best gigs I have ever been to. As you say, great set list including "When the Whip Comes Down" and "I Got the Blues."

I've seen them twice in Memphis - once in '99 and once in '05. Memphis is always an amazing atmosphere to see the Stones in. Beale Street is so close to both the Pyramid and especially the Fed Ex Forum. Great places to hang out before the show to get ready for an amazing party. Some of the best audiences as well.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 25, 2013 05:16

I never saw the Stones there but I went this past year to celebrate my 40th in style - Sun, Stax, Graceland, BBQ, Beale - and I've never had a better time in my life.

Cool people, great food, and music history oozing out of every crack in the sidewalk - What an incredible town!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 25, 2013 05:36

wambambirmingham
They played Memphis on July 4, 1975. It was outdoors, at least 95 degrees and the Stones didn't come on until about 9:00 pm due to a "technical problem." J. Giels opened up for them. Jagger commented that he hoped our next revolution would not go as well as our first one.

Those were the days when the "technical problems" usually meant that Keith's dealer hadn't shown up yet.

Date: January 29, 2013 20:20

mr_dja
They've played there a few times Sway... Most importantly (for me) was in 2005 when they played the FedEx Arena. It was the last time I saw them live and the first (and only) time my wife has seen them live. Cool show as it was the smallest venue I've seen them in.

Good to see you around... Hope all is well for you & yours! My e-mail is still the same. If you get a chance, drop a note!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Was quite busy with m lawyer nowdays but we will be in touch soon.hanks for your note .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: January 29, 2013 20:22

Silver Dagger
SwayStones

That was kind of Marc to put you up Sway.

Mr Cohn was a very kind of man ...promo for "Walking in Memphis "

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 29, 2013 21:01

They played there in 1972 - Keith called it one of the best show's of the 1972 tour. It must have been a good one for Keith to remember it!!!

MLC

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: January 30, 2013 01:33

MCDDTLC
They played there in 1972 - Keith called it one of the best show's of the 1972 tour. It must have been a good one for Keith to remember it!!!

MLC
No, they played Nashville and Knoxville in '72, but not Memphis. I saw them in Knoxville on July 7th, small arena- 6,000- killer show. I also saw them there in Nov.'65- pure pandemonium. Charlie Daniels Band and The Meters were on the bill in addition to JGB and Furry Lewis in Memphis '75. It was blazing hot. They announced the "technical problem" was caused by someone damaging delicate equipment with a tossed firework (It was the 4th of July).

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 01:41

kovach
Me too! Great show...

I remember what seemed like the entire crowd exiting and going down on Beale St. Tongue shirts everywhere.

I remember it too. Was there with some friends had a great time. Been to Memphhis twice, can't remember why the first time... apart from Gracelands..

Date: February 11, 2013 13:44

Memphis ,2005 :
Photo courtesy : Ella Shepherd

[www.scottymoore.net]

[www.scottymoore.net]
thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home