Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: "Queen" and Paul Rodgers
Posted by: R ()
Date: January 26, 2005 16:59

I haven't heard of anything this cheesy since the "Classic Rock Allstars" started touring county fairs in third tier markets here in the states. And John Deacon refuses to be part of it so it's just Roger Taylor and Brian May from Queen anyway...

Some of the medleys could prove entertaining however:

"Scaramouche scaramouche/ Can you do the fandago? / Thunderbolt and lightning / Very, very frightening / I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF YO' LOVE, uh huh..."

Re: OT: "Queen" and Paul Rodgers
Posted by: Half Nanker ()
Date: January 26, 2005 17:02

I thought John Deacon passed away? Over the past couple of years the press and reports have certainly alluded to this - though I never heard what had happened to him. At that point I was surprised to hear about it. Can anyone verify this?

Date: January 26, 2005 17:29

No
he is still alive
Probably this Rodgers/Queen thing is not for him
I don't know what to think
I don't like Bad Company anyway

after reading this

Gail Ann Dorsey will not join Queen for the upcoming tour
"No, I won’t be doing it. Paul Rodgers didn’t want me! Don’t get me started…"

I really don't like it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-26 17:32 by Donkey Girl Scout.

Posted by: WAYNEP ()
Date: January 26, 2005 20:00

I just got Live Aid...and Queen Live from Wembley...next to Freddie...Paul Rodgers is a joke...and I like Paul Rodgers.

Posted by: Too Rude III ()
Date: January 26, 2005 20:05

I'm not Crazy about Queen and I really dislike Bad Company... regardless, this combo is almost as absurd as the idea of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Rodger Daltrey and Pete Townsend joining forces to become "The Whotles".

She was black... and her eyes were blue!

Posted by: eric ()
Date: January 26, 2005 21:14

I dont know... I have mixed feelings. I love Queen from an original point of view. Nobody like them and never really changed thier path or concept to sell a record and I respect that. PLUS, say what you will... Freddie had one of the greatest rock voices ever...and a great musician and frontman.. a true entertainer. Also- I do and always have really enjoyed Bad Co. I like the running with the pack record and Straight Shooter was and is a classis along with thier first record. Nothing complicated here just honest blues kinda rock n roll... great picnic music or just chillin smokin a bone music... Paul rodgers voice is no Mercury HOWEVER I do believe it could be interesting just hearing the original surviving band playing classic Queen... which imo rips ass at times. And maybe just maybe IF rodgers doesnt try be a another Freddie and ads his own style ( which has its cool moments ) then Queens music could sound fresher and heard in a new light. Fact is NOBODY could ever replace Freddie for Queen but IF they could pull off a new approach then I will go. Remember- these guys are all well educated and some marketing genuis's I dont think Brian May is out to make an ass of himself and destroy the legacy that is Queen... like them or not they are rock royality.

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: January 26, 2005 21:41

I agree with the previous post that this seems a bit ridiculous, particularly with one abstaining. I've never been a Queen fan so to me it's not important. I don't think anyone took the Doors seriously when they toured recently (one of their originals wisely stayed home). Not too many bands survive the loss of a key member, particularly the lead singer, AC/DC being the exception and to a lesser extent Skynyrd as well. If they feel the need to perform why not do it the way Page/Plant did it? May/Taylor? I think touring under the Queen name is strictly to make money and that is sad.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: January 26, 2005 22:38

Why are youse all talking about Bad Company. Not heard of Free?

That's the 'Real' Paul Rodgers - though BC was a fun second string to his bow.

And stuff from Free will show you he had a far better rock voice than Freddy.

eg (of many) "Come Together In The Morning".

(btw Tetsu joined the Faces from Free).

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 26, 2005 22:56

The combo sounds a bit off to me. It would like the Rolling Stones touring wiht another singer other than Mick. By all means tour, but is Queen? Mmmmm, not really IMHO.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 26, 2005 23:03

i really dont like Queen
Bad Co----is great

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 27, 2005 09:37

Paul Rodgers has never found a group to match Free. He's a great blues/soul singer and not the type of singer who is best suited to singing Queen material.
I saw him singing with the Firm years ago and although he sang well enough it wasn't a successful musical collaboration.
I appreciate the members of Queen may be talented but i've never particuarly liked their music.I don't mind some of their seventies material but i really dislike a lot of their eighties songs - they are too overblown.
Paul is a great singer who has never really fulfilled his early potential - Bad Company really were not as effective as Free but Paul's great voice is still perfectly intact. I just don't think he's doing it any justice singing Another One Bites The Dust and Radio Ga Ga. Roger Taylor did say Queen would also be playing some of Paul's music so that should be fun.
By the way John Deacon just didn't fancy the idea.

Posted by: waaghals ()
Date: January 27, 2005 17:10

Would you like to see the rolling stones performing without Mick Jagger. I certainly wouldn't. There is no Queen without Freddy Mercury!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 27, 2005 17:18

The Free was a very, very good band. Paul Kossof was asked by the Stones managment to do an audition for the band in Mai 1969. He was feeling neglected by Rodgers and the others. I do not know that he did the audition (most likely he did not....). Great guitarist. Did on a plane (what else).

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 27, 2005 17:18

No, there isn't. They should create a new bandname, record new songs, etc. Nothing wrong with rockveterans joining up to tour, but using the name Queen is a wrong idea. Queen doesn't exist anymore...

Edward

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 27, 2005 17:20

He died on the plane (type too fast.....)

Posted by: Han ()
Date: January 27, 2005 19:45

I have a sneaking suspicion that they're gauging the demand. As the UK concert venues have all sold out in about 30 minutes flat Brian's now talking about stadium dates in the autumn, when Paul Rodgers has finished his own tour, and Roger has referred to new material that he and Bri have written; so it's not impossible that they're contemplating a more permament arrangement under a different heading. In some ways the active half of Queen have got more in common with Paul than they did with Freddie and John Deacon.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home