Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick's double microphone - Hyde Park
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 24, 2005 22:57

Any idea why Mick did use a double mic during Hyde Park performance? He has a strange device, with 2 mics upside down.

Re: Mick's double microphone - Hyde Park
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 24, 2005 23:01

I think that it's a safety if the first one stop working.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: January 25, 2005 00:03

I´m no expert when it comes to sound technology but I think one mic was used for the PA system and the other one for recording purpose.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 25, 2005 00:05

he doesn't use it during the hole show, if I remember it correctly. He sings in a single microphone for a few songs.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: January 25, 2005 00:22

I agree with Tornandfrayed`s suggestion....One for PA and one to provide a "clean" source for the recording.

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: January 25, 2005 00:39

You can record the voice directly from the mixing desk, you don´t need another mike for that. Isn´t it a trick from the old mono days to get a sort of doubletracking? I mean they didn´t have stereo delays those days (where you can put different delay times on the two channels to get the effect), so they simply put one signal through a delay and the other one not. Voices sound much brighter with this effect, its like a second voice doubling (but to hear that, the second voice/signal phase has to be shifted a few 1/100 seconds, which the delay effect is for).

Date: January 25, 2005 01:19

tomstones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can record the voice directly from the mixing
> desk, you don´t need another mike for that.

I know that. But there are a lot of 60s/70s concerts that were FILMED (e.g. Jimi Hendrix at Royal Albert Hall 1969, Led Zeppelin at RAH 1970, Isle Of Wight Festival,...) where the film crew used a second mic in order to record their own vocal track.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 25, 2005 01:22

Well, whatever the reason for it.........it didn't work. The sound of this show must be the worst quality of all Stones concerts ever, including the vocals.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: January 25, 2005 01:33

>Well, whatever the reason for it.........it didn't work. The sound of this show must be the worst quality of all Stones concerts ever, including the vocals.

What do we learn? Never hold a mic upside down. :-)

Date: January 25, 2005 01:50

As far as I know, The Stones hired the Who's sound system for Hyde Park concert.

Bearing in mind that self-proclamed-genuine-rocker Daltrey hated Jagger's posh, bourgeois style, maybe it was to avoid some Daltrey's trick, ah ah.

I think Bill's memories reads something about the Hyde Park's sono. He said in short it was a bit weird, not fitting very well for the Stones.

Anyway, the Stones hadn't play on stage for a real concert since 1967, the Melody Maker's appereance in 1968 being only a two-song sets.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 25, 2005 10:54

The reason is: in those days PA's were still fairly weak in power. So, at larger concerts they simply used two PA's for the vocals, one left and one right. The mixing boards didn't have the facility yet to connect easily, so two microfones were used. If you just tigh them together the sound gets awfull as somne frequencies will interfere, therefore the second mike is taped approx. 5 cm. behind the other. There's many concerts and festivals from that time, mainly the bigger ones, where they used two microfones for the singer. I have wondered myself for 20 years why they do this, but if I remember well it is explained on the comments section from the Gimme Shelter DVD.

Mathijs

Date: January 25, 2005 11:41

As usual, Mathijs' expertise helps. Bravo.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 25, 2005 12:31

Why did they use two PA's for the vocals but only one for the guitar/drums?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: January 25, 2005 13:15

Because you need a lot less power to amplify a blasting 350 watt Ampeg SVT than you need for a voice. In fact, when Cream whent on tour i 1968, they only ammplified the vox and drums -guitar and bass were unamplified, just the big Marshall towers.

Mathijs

Date: January 25, 2005 13:23

And Claption still can hear something?

It sounds very bad - and maybe did sound bad.

Nowadays, the band "dispatches" the sound all over. In the Cream case/ crime case all the blast first hitted the muscians themselves.

Maybe there is a moral in the story. You put yourself deaf to death before putting the others deaf.

Date: January 25, 2005 13:47

The Joker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And Claption still can hear something?

I don´t know about Clapton but Ginger, "the poor bastard stuck in the middle of those noise making things", is more or less deaf since 1968.

Date: January 25, 2005 16:03

Watch Hendrix at the Monterey festival warning the first couple rows when he hits the stage: "go away, you will be deaf within 3 minutes" he seems to say...

Mathijs

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 25, 2005 16:11

LOL You think you have the best seat in the house...

But if it's that loud, how does Hendrix put up with it?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: January 25, 2005 16:29

About the finger:

The pic looks as if it is the right hand, so it would not matter too much.

But it may be a "reversed" pic.

What is your opinion?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2133
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home