Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Glastonbury 2013 - Fleetwood Mac and Rolling Stones to headline ?????
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 12, 2013 15:45

Huh ?

I've just been reading an article about Bowie's surprise reappearance in the Independent newspaper, the text below is clipped from it ....

<<< As music fans prepare for a Glastonbury tipped to be headlined by Fleetwood Mac and The Rolling Stones, the message for Rihanna is clear. If you want to bask in a renewed outpouring of adulation, it’s time to say “Goodbye, and see you in 2020” >>>

Anyone else heard this Glastonbury rumour, supposedly that it will be headlined by Fleetwood Mac & the Stones ? First I've heard of it !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: Glastonbury 2013 - Fleetwood Mac and Rolling Stones to headline ?????
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 12, 2013 18:12

What is the point without Christie Mcvie for FM?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 12, 2013 18:33

Chris Fountain

As proven on their previous tour... a lot!
Lindsey Buckingham is the one that can not be missed. It's all about him.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 12, 2013 18:36

BowieStone
Chris Fountain

I understand your point, as lindsy lights up on guitar solos in concert, but CM oriented songs such as You lmake ovin Fun and Little Lies cannot be denied to make the show complete.. Hell who knows? maybe she will show up?

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: January 12, 2013 20:09

paulywaul
Anyone else heard this Glastonbury rumour, supposedly that it will be headlined by Fleetwood Mac & the Stones ? First I've heard of it !

I think the article probably is taking its info from here:

[www.efestivals.co.uk]#

Glastonbury has been rumoured for a while, but according to certain sources who seem to know a bit about the booking at the festival, I'm starting to think it might actually happen.

Fleetwood Mac are a bit less certain, I'd say - so far most discussion I've seen favours the Arctic Monkeys headlining the Friday and the Stones on the Saturday.

Ultimately, I think most of this is still just conjecture, but I have a ticket and I have both sets of fingers crossed that the stars align and it happens.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 12, 2013 20:54

Another Glastonbury rumor. Isn't that special.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 12, 2013 21:50

sweetcharmedlife

Its Fleetwood Mac Rumours I believe...oh and Go Niners

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 12, 2013 22:34

Munichhilton
sweetcharmedlife

Its Fleetwood Mac Rumours I believe...oh and Go Niners
smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ash ()
Date: January 13, 2013 00:23

Chris Fountain
what is the point without Peter Green and Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer ?

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 2, 2013 07:21

Taken from todays newspaper Otago Daily Times - New Zealand

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 2, 2013 10:04

pppfff a festival sad smiley

Date: February 2, 2013 12:12

Here's the latest .......... more "rumours" really, nothing in the way of a confirmation.

[www.stereoboard.com]

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: February 2, 2013 12:25

Mick Fleetwood was on The One Show on BBC last week, plugging their tour. He said they had been asked to play at Glastonbury, and had turned it down.

Date: February 2, 2013 12:38

Wouldn't be surprised if the Stones turn it down also. Don't know WHY I think that, I've got no particular reason for so doing, but I just can't help but feel that if they play anywhere at all in the UK in 2013, it's likely to be stadiums or maybe the London Calling thing in Hyde Park, anywhere BUT Glastonbury basically ! Whatever .........

Anyway, I don't do tents in waist deep mud and pissing rain, so if they do in fact relent and play Glastonbury, I'll be quite content to give it a miss and catch it on TV.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: February 2, 2013 14:22

paulywaul
Wouldn't be surprised if the Stones turn it down also. Don't know WHY I think that, I've got no particular reason for so doing, but I just can't help but feel that if they play anywhere at all in the UK in 2013, it's likely to be stadiums or maybe the London Calling thing in Hyde Park, anywhere BUT Glastonbury basically ! Whatever .........

Anyway, I don't do tents in waist deep mud and pissing rain, so if they do in fact relent and play Glastonbury, I'll be quite content to give it a miss and catch it on TV.

I'd like to think that they are gonna play Hyde Park again.

Especially if they make it free! (hey, i can dream can't I)

Only drawback for me about Hyde park is the terrible sound over the last few years. Hard Rock Calling and High Voltage festivals have had their volume restricted so it sounds like a gnats fart.

Like to be there if they do glasto too, registered to buy tickets but didn't get lucky, hopefully gotta chance with the return sale. If not I think I might try n parachute in!!

Throw in a few stadiums and I'm good to go mamma >grinning smiley<

\m/

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 2, 2013 14:52

Monkeytonkman
paulywaul

I'd like to think that they are gonna play Hyde Park again.

Especially if they make it free! (hey, i can dream can't I)

Only drawback for me about Hyde park is the terrible sound over the last few years. Hard Rock Calling and High Voltage festivals have had their volume restricted so it sounds like a gnats fart.

Like to be there if they do glasto too, registered to buy tickets but didn't get lucky, hopefully gotta chance with the return sale. If not I think I might try n parachute in!!

Throw in a few stadiums and I'm good to go mamma >grinning smiley<

\m/
Monkeytonkman; I believe you when you say the sound at the London Calling sucks but the Bruce Springsteen DVD of his appearance at this show few years ago is amazingly good, image and sound are superbe on that dvd.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 2, 2013 15:18

London Calling is not going to be in Hyde Park any more but in the Olympic Stadium, where there apparently won't be the same restrictions on the volume.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 2, 2013 15:24

paulywaul

Don't count on it. All that ever surfaced on TV from their Isle of Wight appearance was two (count 'em, TWO) numbers: Start Me Up and Sympathy. There was extensive TV coverage of other headliners so I guess the Stones just decided to give away as little as they could get away with.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 2, 2013 15:40

i guess it wont happen.
1 million just is not enough for the band

The Money baby, the money.........

although Keef stated they are not in it for the money........haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhahahaha

jeroen

Posted by: monkeymark ()
Date: February 2, 2013 22:27

Green Lady
paulywaul

Don't count on it. All that ever surfaced on TV from their Isle of Wight appearance was two (count 'em, TWO) numbers: Start Me Up and Sympathy. There was extensive TV coverage of other headliners so I guess the Stones just decided to give away as little as they could get away with.

This clip wasn't shown on television at the time but surfaced a little while afterwards

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: February 3, 2013 02:51

colonial
Taken from todays newspaper Otago Daily Times - New Zealand

Colonial — how about links to the articles or scans,..?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Date: February 3, 2013 02:54

Beast
London Calling is not going to be in Hyde Park any more but in the Olympic Stadium, where there apparently won't be the same restrictions on the volume.

Good point, forgot about that.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 3, 2013 04:15

Songbird.

Date: February 3, 2013 07:00

Chris Fountain
BowieStone
Chris Fountain

I understand your point, as lindsy lights up on guitar solos in concert, but CM oriented songs such as You lmake ovin Fun and Little Lies cannot be denied to make the show complete.. Hell who knows? maybe she will show up?

wrong its lindsay buckingham who is the cog in the fleetwood mac gear. his underrated guitar playing and production gives the band the sound that most fans are familiar with. also his quirky songs even out the albums between stevie nicks gypsy sounding tunes and christine mcvie's soul/r&b influenced ballads. look how hard the first fleetwood mac studio album without buckingham flopped. it was called behind the mask. didn't even go platinum even though it still have c mcvie, j mcvie, nicks and fleetwood in the band. btw yes i know there are pre 1975 fleetwood mac albums without buckingham but i meant behind the mask was the first album without him since he joined.

Date: February 3, 2013 11:51

Fleetwood Mac's US tour dates clash with Glastonbury which is why they ruled themselves out.

The Stones seem to be considering the Glastonbury offer. It's simultaneously a large amount of money for the festival to offer anyone, but a lot less than the Stones' usual payday, so it remains to be seen whether they'll consider it a worthwhile offer.

Date: February 3, 2013 13:16

CaledonianGonzo
Fleetwood Mac's US tour dates clash with Glastonbury which is why they ruled themselves out.

The Stones seem to be considering the Glastonbury offer. It's simultaneously a large amount of money for the festival to offer anyone, but a lot less than the Stones' usual payday, so it remains to be seen whether they'll consider it a worthwhile offer.

Am I the only person that shakes their head in despair when reading things like this ? I do find it increasingly sad that the Stones seemingly are so significantly focused on the size of pay cheque these days. I'm not advocating they do this or that for free, far from it, but it would be nice to at least imagine that their thinking these days is not only quite so ludicrously short term, and that there's some vague recognition of the fact that the real value of playing a gig like Glastonbury is not the size of the one time cheque, its the longer term benefit of having introduced (or re-introduced) themselves to newer and younger generations

Date: February 3, 2013 14:30

This is all speculation, but it's reckoned that the usual fee for a band to headline Glastonbury is in the region of £250k, while the Stones are being offered ~£1m as Michael Eavis is really keen to get them on the bill.

There's understandable concern from festival regulars that this might be detrimental to the festival in the long run as it sets a precedent for greater expenditure on big name headliners, to say nothing of the possible impact on charitable donations or the fact that the bill on the whole across the weekend may be weaker as a result of a large payment to the Stones.

Along with the perception that all they care about is the cash, that they've peaked as live performers and that they didn't exactly set the world on fire at the Isle of Wight, I'd say that feelings on the matter are rather mixed.

I'm sure Mick's not oblivious to the good exposure a well-recieved headline slot would bring, but he still seems first and foremost like a 'Jam Today' sort of guy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home