Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: why did they make Dirty Work?
Date: January 15, 2013 12:27

Max'sKansasCity
clance65
DandelionPowderman
I like many songs on Dirty Work:

Harlem Shuffle
One Hit (To The Body)
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight
Fight
Too Rude

Some of the rockers have Tattoo You-quality, imo.

Not bad at all. Mick wasn't at his peak, but heck you can't always get... thumbs up

I friggin love this record. I was just playing it the other day, and am still baffled by the disdain for this album. "One Hit" is one of my favorite Woody era Stones tunes....the acoustic guitar intro, drums, just a classic to me. "Had It With You" is a another classic Stones rocker. The title track is great. I just think its an outstanding record without a bad song really. There isn't a Stones record that I don't like, but I love this album!

I feel the same way.... about most Stones albums.... but isnt it interesting how so many people on IORR seem to just love to hate some things/albums/tours? They seem to thrive on hating on things, as they nonstop smart off about them. It seems somewhat insane the way some here will latch onto something and then crank out 10-30 pages of hate for it... no matter the topic.

Every Stones album/tour has good and bad...
it is just puerile to bash non stop on any of their albums/tours, like some seem to do.

Spot on! Even members of the band they love.

The love is so deep that they choose to spend hours here at IORR every day, bashing members of their favourite band grinning smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 15, 2013 13:39

Rockman
Concerning the video: if you mean the one where lots is filmed through the studio mixing table window: I have it, as many have.

WOW Interesting ... have never seen .... Where do I find a copy???

Yeah, what is it going to take for the "many" to share that gem ?

Posted by: talkcheap ()
Date: January 15, 2013 14:29

MaxKansasCity. I'm sitting here singing Dirty Work and One hit to the body as I read the posts. I'm singing louder than Jagger!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 15, 2013 14:52

talkcheap
MaxKansasCity. I'm sitting here singing Dirty Work and One hit to the body as I read the posts. I'm singing louder than Jagger!
gooooud.... Dis iz very very goooud... but still.... sing LOUDER.
If the neighbors are not complaining you are not singing loud enough,
and when the cops show up, it is time to not only sing louder than Jagger,
it is time to move faster than Jagger.

Goooouud..... this is very very gooooooud.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 15, 2013 14:57

Max'sKansasCity
.... but isnt it interesting how so many people on IORR seem to just love to hate some things/albums/tours? They seem to thrive on hating on things, as they nonstop smart off about them. It seems somewhat insane the way some here will latch onto something and then crank out 10-30 pages of hate for it... no matter the topic.

why is that interesting? i, for one, personally - and this is just me - not speaking for anyone else - just me, personally, for one - don't understand why some ppl seem to spend many hours of their day praising the band they love here. that's just so wrong. it makes me nervous...makes me shudder even. weird! stop it!!!

Date: January 15, 2013 15:00

StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity
.... but isnt it interesting how so many people on IORR seem to just love to hate some things/albums/tours? They seem to thrive on hating on things, as they nonstop smart off about them. It seems somewhat insane the way some here will latch onto something and then crank out 10-30 pages of hate for it... no matter the topic.

why is that interesting? i, for one, personally - and this is just me - not speaking for anyone else - just me, personally, for one - don't understand why some ppl seem to spend many hours of their day praising the band they love here. that's just so wrong. it makes me nervous...makes me shudder even. weird! stop it!!!
Nice try... but you cant blame your shuddering and nerviosaness 9or even restlest legs) on others, look inward... or leeward... or todward.

Date: January 15, 2013 15:02

StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity

Praising Chuck is of course a necessity thumbs up

Date: January 15, 2013 15:02

is it time for another song?... is everybody ready to karaoke some more?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 15, 2013 15:36

Anyone can sing louder than Jagger... everyone of the anyones gets a trophy!

Louder than Jagger. Great, now some buffoon is gonna write a "song" with that title.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: January 15, 2013 19:31

Why was Dirty Work made? Keith was trying to show Mick that he was the Stones. If Charlie was not sick from smack, Bill was around and and they had a familiar producer I think the album would have been more "even" and may have worked, even with Micks screaming singing.

From what I know it sounds like everything surrounding the Dirty Work sessions was horrendous and way to disjointed even for the Stones.

In hindsight it seems that Mick and keith really starting hating each other during Some Girls sessions.

Date: January 15, 2013 19:52

peoplewitheyes
yes, after listening to it, we´ve all asked this.

but, i mean it as a serious question. Jagger clearly wasn´t in to it, Undercover hadn´t been that well received, they hadn´t toured in several years.

was it purely contractual? ie. they had to deliver some product by a set date?

(cue StonesTod with his ´hilarious´comments)

they had to make at least one album with that horrific 80s oversized shoulder pad production

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: January 15, 2013 20:25

God bless them they made it. Because it's a damn good record and will always be! Great that in such hard circumstances they proved that they still can deliver.
Have you NEVER had shivers down your spines listening to Charlie's drumming in "Hold Back" and hearing Jagger's vocals in the same song? He's never been so angry and aggresive - neither before, nor after. "One Hit" is an instant classic, "Harlem Shuffle" was a great rendition, "Winning Ugly" is a great swinging rock'n'roll track, "Fight" and title song are pure Stones etc. Have you NEVER had a tear in your eye listening to "Sleep Tonight" and imagining Keith singing this lullaby over his little baby's bed? Hey - it's absolutely beyond me how a Stones fan can HATE such a great LP, so reading this discussion I was partially amused, partially puzzled and partially alienated, finding myself among very few admirers of "DW"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-15 20:29 by tomekdp.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 15, 2013 21:11

JC21769
Why was Dirty Work made? Keith was trying to show Mick that he was the Stones. If Charlie was not sick from smack, Bill was around and and they had a familiar producer I think the album would have been more "even" and may have worked, even with Micks screaming singing.

From what I know it sounds like everything surrounding the Dirty Work sessions was horrendous and way to disjointed even for the Stones.

In hindsight it seems that Mick and keith really starting hating each other during Some Girls sessions.

if you read the 76 KR interview where as the journalist said Richards for three hours never called Jagger by the name speaking only about him or the book by Sharon (can not remember the name) about Keith, you will realize that he began to hate Jagger much earlier. I think it took Mick a few years to fully realize it but by '85 it finally dawned on him

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: January 15, 2013 21:18

I would think Keith started hating Mick after the Anita stuff during Performance which may have fed into Keith heroin abuse....to blot out the mess.

From an angle, Mick, Keith, Anita, Brian, Marianne...they were all terrible people!

I dont care except for maybe how it eventually shaped the music

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 15, 2013 21:28

JC21769
I would think Keith started hating Mick after the Anita stuff during Performance which may have fed into Keith heroin abuse....to blot out the mess.

From an angle, Mick, Keith, Anita, Brian, Marianne...they were all terrible people!

I dont care except for maybe how it eventually shaped the music

I do not believe in all this Performance story about Mick and Anita - in any case, it seems odd that Mick and Keith were close in the 69 immediately after alleged events or during their stay in France and LA 72, and suddenly in the middle of the 70s it has become so important.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 15, 2013 21:50

I love the record. Listening right now to Hold Back. Sounds great on vinyl, despite Steve Lillywhite's production. Every track has great moments.Bass and dynamics are great too. It's even getting better to me after all these years.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 8, 2013 12:32

just wanted to nominate some of these tracks for inclusion in the fan voting spectacles that have kicked off....

in particular, mick taylor joining ronnie and keith on "one hit to the body"

Re: why did they make Dity Work?
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:00

StonesTod
they were looking ahead and trying to produce something in the here-and-now that wouldn't make a bigger bang seem so bloody awful. genius.

Didn't work though did it.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:04

Good album I always like to listen to.

Harlem Shuffle
One Hit (To The Body)
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight
Fight
Too Rude
Dirty work

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:29

Jimmy Page as a.guest on One Hit To The Body in Hyde Park on 06 07 might help in redeeming the album.

Re: why did they make Dity Work?
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:31

Roll73
StonesTod
they were looking ahead and trying to produce something in the here-and-now that wouldn't make a bigger bang seem so bloody awful. genius.

Didn't work though did it.

...That's CHEAP. Replying to ( & quoting) someone that can't answer (anymore)... at least not without blowing his cover.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 8, 2013 17:15

StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity

This was his last post before he left the tent and told us he may be some time.

Date: May 8, 2013 17:16

ACtually.. he just left the tent and didn't tell us anything.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 8, 2013 17:21

GravityBoy

dead men rarely discuss these matters

Date: May 8, 2013 17:40

GRNRBITW
GravityBoy

dead men rarely discuss these matters

Such a waste.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home